Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Ian Malone

Default dynamic symlinks/variant symlinks in fuse?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a tool which provides variant or dynamic banks of
symlinks? I'm thinking of being able to do something like the
following:
You have some directory src containing:
src/1/a
src/1/b
src/1/c
src/2/a
src/2/b
src/2/c
src/3/a
src/3/b
src/3/c

And want to be able to create (for example):
tgt-a/1 -> src/1/a
tgt-a/2 -> src/2/a
tgt-a/3 -> src/3/a
Obviously you can do this statically with just a 'for' loop, but for
some purposes it would be very handy to be able to have this
dynamically maintained via being able to set some rules for the link
targets. I'm thinking this should be possible with FUSE and perhaps
it's already been done, but a little googling hasn't turned anything
up.

(I've mentioned variant symlinks too, and these are slightly
different: a single link whose target is dependent on variable
components, but this would be handy to have too. Currently only a few
BSDs can do it.)

--
imalone