Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Marek Piatek

Default upgrading fedora 11 to the latest version of fedora

Hi guys,

I have been given a workstation with Fedora 11 (Leonidas) installed by our IT team. I'm running web-based tool on it, purely Perl based. I have also data there that I would like to keep while upgrading to Fedora 15 (or maybe wait a ~month longer and upgrade it directly to Fedora 16).

I would like to ask for recommendation on what's the easiest way to jump through so many releases?

I have basic linux experience since I'm doing some programming. Do I need to use external storage to be able to upgrade or I can go through yum?

If I could go with yum, I would appreciate if you provide me with the command.

What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11 to Fedora 15 or 16?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 18:15 +0300, Marek Piatek wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been given a workstation with Fedora 11 (Leonidas) installed by
> our IT team. I'm running web-based tool on it, purely Perl based. I
> have also data there that I would like to keep while upgrading to
> Fedora 15 (or maybe wait a ~month longer and upgrade it directly to
> Fedora 16).
>
> I would like to ask for recommendation on what's the easiest way to
> jump through so many releases?

Back up your data and install cleanly.

Fedora only supports upgrades from Fedora N-1 to Fedora N. So you'd need
to upgrade through 12, 13 and 14 to get to Fedora 15.

Beyond that, there were some pretty substantial changes to the system in
Fedora 15. So realistically, you're much better off just backing up all
of the executable and data files of your web app and just installing
fresh.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Marek Piatek

Thanks for the quick response.
Will back up the data and install from scratch.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Hi guys,

I have been given a workstation with Fedora 11 (Leonidas) installed by
our IT team. I'm running web-based tool on it, purely Perl based. I have
also data there that I would like to keep while upgrading to Fedora 15
(or maybe wait a ~month longer and upgrade it directly to Fedora 16).

I would like to ask for recommendation on what's the easiest way to jump
through so many releases?

I have basic linux experience since I'm doing some programming. Do I
need to use external storage to be able to upgrade or I can go through
yum?

If I could go with yum, I would appreciate if you provide me with the
command.

What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11 to
Fedora 15 or 16?

Thanks!
Merak,

Fedora does have a utility that starts with 'preupgrade' that allows you
to go from one revision to the next sequential revision. However, every
time I have used this I have had problems. I have only been able to
make this work on one machine going from F13 to F14. It would really be
great if this utility worked easily, but it has not work well for me.
I would advise you to offload all files you need to keep and do a 'clean
install'.

The other item I would encourage you to look at are the hardware
limitations of F15 compared to F14. I have a lot of older equipment
that requires my support that are restricted by an upper limit of 512
mgs of memory. These machines will not work on F15. F15 also has
gnome3 that has failed to work on some of my older equipment so beware.

Good Luck!!!

Greg

Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Thomas Dineen

Merak:

"What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11 to
Fedora 15 or 16?"

Consider using Fedora 14 instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just completed building a Fedora 14 machine that all in all
am pretty happy with!!!

This avoids the litany of Fedora 15 issues, as discussed on this
reflector in recent weeks, and the totally unknown nature of Fedora 16.
Software releases like wine and cheese need to age for a while to be great!

In any case be aware of Selinux issues when trying to enable common
services such as vsftpd, rlogin, and samba. Email me if you have difficulty
in this area.

Also immediately after your F14 installation is completed run the
software update program from the Administration Menu this will save you
time later. P.S. Some potential issues covered by the updates.

Good Luck
Thomas Dineen

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Jussi Lehtola

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:01:05 -0700
Thomas Dineen <tdineen@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Merak:
>
> "What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11
> to Fedora 15 or 16?"
>
> Consider using Fedora 14 instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I just completed building a Fedora 14 machine that all in all
> am pretty happy with!!!

You must be joking. Fedora 14 is EOLing in a couple of months, after
which you'll be stuck with an insecure, obsolete system. Fedora 15
works great.

If you don't want to do distribution upgrades once (or twice) a year,
install something like CentOS instead.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/05/2011 08:33 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Fedora only supports upgrades from Fedora N-1 to Fedora N. So you'd need
> to upgrade through 12, 13 and 14 to get to Fedora 15.

I did go safely from F9 to F11 and skipping F10, but more than that is
probably risky.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM
JB

Marek Piatek <marek.piatek <at> kaust.edu.sa> writes:

> What other things should I consider before upgrading from Fedora 11 to Fedora
> 15 or 16? Thanks!

It is said that where there are two Fedora users there are (at least) three
favorite Fedora choices :-)

Good Luck !

JB