-   -   Configuring new ethernet interfaces (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/583680-configuring-new-ethernet-interfaces.html)

Alex 10-05-2011 01:51 AM

Configuring new ethernet interfaces

Hi,

I have an existing fedora15 x86_64 server with two interfaces that
I've moved to a different motherboard and processor with dual onboard
Intel 1000mbs ethernet controllers on it (e1000e driver). After moving
the system to the new motherboard, for some reason the ethernet
interfaces changed from eth0 and eth1 to eth4 and eth5.

Why did this happen, and how do I change it back to eth0 and eth1?

It looks like udev has something to do with this?

Thanks,
Alex

Digimer 10-05-2011 02:00 AM

On 10/04/2011 09:51 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing fedora15 x86_64 server with two interfaces that
> I've moved to a different motherboard and processor with dual onboard
> Intel 1000mbs ethernet controllers on it (e1000e driver). After moving
> the system to the new motherboard, for some reason the ethernet
> interfaces changed from eth0 and eth1 to eth4 and eth5.
>
> Why did this happen, and how do I change it back to eth0 and eth1?
>
> It looks like udev has something to do with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

The MAC addresses changed. Take a look at this:

https://alteeve.com/w/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B

(it's more or less the same in Fedora 15 and should apply)

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Alex 10-05-2011 02:43 AM

Configuring new ethernet interfaces

Hi,

>> I have an existing fedora15 x86_64 server with two interfaces that
>> I've moved to a different motherboard and processor with dual onboard
>> Intel 1000mbs ethernet controllers on it (e1000e driver). After moving
>> the system to the new motherboard, for some reason the ethernet
>> interfaces changed from eth0 and eth1 to eth4 and eth5.
>>
>> Why did this happen, and how do I change it back to eth0 and eth1?
>>
>> It looks like udev *has something to do with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> The MAC addresses changed. Take a look at this:
>
> https://alteeve.com/w/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL 6_and_Fedora_12%2B

That was it, thanks. I knew the MAC address changed (should have
mentioned that initially) and also knew it was related to udev, but
just couldn't remember the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
file was the one that needed to be changed.

Thanks again,
Alex