Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default Corrupted evolution databases

I had a crash that caused some filesystem errors, and after restarting,
evolution reports that it can't view some of my mail and RSS feed
folders because "database disk image is malformed".

Is this something that can be recovered? If so, how?

TIA.
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:50 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I had a crash that caused some filesystem errors, and after restarting,
> evolution reports that it can't view some of my mail and RSS feed
> folders because "database disk image is malformed".
>
> Is this something that can be recovered? If so, how?
>
> TIA.
> --
> Matthew Saltzman
> Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu

Usually if you run: evolution --force-shutdown
Then go to:
.local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox
and : rm Inbox.ibex.index
and restart evolution , things will straighten out.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:34 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:50 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I had a crash that caused some filesystem errors, and after restarting,
> > evolution reports that it can't view some of my mail and RSS feed
> > folders because "database disk image is malformed".
> >
> > Is this something that can be recovered? If so, how?
> >
> > TIA.
> > --
> > Matthew Saltzman
> > Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
> > mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> >

> Usually if you run: evolution --force-shutdown
> Then go to:
> .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox
> and : rm Inbox.ibex.index
> and restart evolution , things will straighten out.
Correction.
That is for F15 . In earlier versions of Fedora it was in local not
local_mbox.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 15:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 15:39 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Usually if you run: evolution --force-shutdown
> > > Then go to:
> > > .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox
> > > and : rm Inbox.ibex.index
> > > and restart evolution , things will straighten out.
> > Correction.
> > That is for F15 . In earlier versions of Fedora it was in local not
> > local_mbox.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but:
>
> * This is F15, and I have local/ not local_mbox/. Maybe because I
> had it before F15?
> * I don't have the file Inbox.ibex.index. Maybe because my local
> inbox is tied to a POP3 account?
> * I do have several *.ibex.index files. They are all hidden
> (start with '.'). One of them is ..ibex.index. The rest
> correspond to folders or RSS feeds.
> * I tried deleting an RSS feed (which deleted the
> corresponding .ibex.index and .ibex.index.data files) and
> recreating it (which created new files), but I get the same
> error trying to read that feed.
>
> I suppose it wouldn't kill me to blow the whole evolution directory tree
> away and start from scratch, as all the accounts are also stored
> remotely), but if you have any other ideas to try first, I'd be glad to
> have them.
I am not sure what you mean by your Inbox being tied to a POP3 account.
Are you using an Exchange server?
I also use POP3w to download my mail from a server. Under your local
directory do you have a file called folders.db. If so oyu might tey
processing iit with the following script:

cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local
for i in `find . -name folders.db`
do
echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
done

Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 13:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 15:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > Correction.
> > > That is for F15 . In earlier versions of Fedora it was in local not
> > > local_mbox.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions, but:
> >
> > * This is F15, and I have local/ not local_mbox/. Maybe because I
> > had it before F15?
> > * I don't have the file Inbox.ibex.index. Maybe because my local
> > inbox is tied to a POP3 account?
> > * I do have several *.ibex.index files. They are all hidden
> > (start with '.'). One of them is ..ibex.index. The rest
> > correspond to folders or RSS feeds.
> > * I tried deleting an RSS feed (which deleted the
> > corresponding .ibex.index and .ibex.index.data files) and
> > recreating it (which created new files), but I get the same
> > error trying to read that feed.
> >
> > I suppose it wouldn't kill me to blow the whole evolution directory tree
> > away and start from scratch, as all the accounts are also stored
> > remotely), but if you have any other ideas to try first, I'd be glad to
> > have them.
> I am not sure what you mean by your Inbox being tied to a POP3 account.

When my POP account syncs, new messages are loaded into my local inbox.
Mail sent through that server are stored in my local sent-mail folder,
deleted messages are in my local trash, etc. RSS feeds have folders in
my local tree.

> Are you using an Exchange server?

I have an Exchange account, but the sync there is to a separate set of
folders. I also have a gmail IMAP account and that also syncs to its
own set of folders. I'm not having any problem with either of those.

> I also use POP3w to download my mail from a server. Under your local
> directory do you have a file called folders.db. If so oyu might tey
> processing iit with the following script:
>
> cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local
> for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> do
> echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> done

Well that seems to get to the heart of the problem.

$ for i in `find . -name folders.db`; do
> echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> done
Rebuilding Table ./folders.db
Error: database disk image is malformed

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 10:00 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
<snip>

> When my POP account syncs, new messages are loaded into my local
> inbox.
> Mail sent through that server are stored in my local sent-mail folder,
> deleted messages are in my local trash, etc. RSS feeds have folders
> in
> my local tree.
I want to be sure what you are doing. I also have a POP account on a
server. By sync I assume you mean hitting the "Send&Receive" button.

When I do that mail is distributed into my Inbox and to the other
folders I have created and made the destination of filter commands. So
in addition to the Inbox, I have a networkmanager, nhl , etc folders.
Each results in a file called Inbox.ibex.index, nhl.ibex.index, etc
as well as Inbox.ibex.index.data, etc files.

This seems to be the same thing you are doing so why are your results
different?

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>

Old 10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 16:18 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 10:00 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > When my POP account syncs, new messages are loaded into my local
> > inbox.
> > Mail sent through that server are stored in my local sent-mail folder,
> > deleted messages are in my local trash, etc. RSS feeds have folders
> > in
> > my local tree.
> I want to be sure what you are doing. I also have a POP account on a
> server. By sync I assume you mean hitting the "Send&Receive" button.

Right.

> When I do that mail is distributed into my Inbox and to the other
> folders I have created and made the destination of filter commands. So
> in addition to the Inbox, I have a networkmanager, nhl , etc folders.
> Each results in a file called Inbox.ibex.index, nhl.ibex.index, etc
> as well as Inbox.ibex.index.data, etc files.

I don't filter much on that account, but yes, I'd expect whatever is
normal there. In fact, on another machine, I see what you see.

> This seems to be the same thing you are doing so why are your results
> different?

I suppose the difference is due to the disk crash, but why things came
out as they did is certainly not clear to me. If evo tries to clean up
folders when it starts or stops based on what's in the database and the
database is corrupted, that would explain things somewhat, I guess.