Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Sanjay Arora

Default Error running Virtual Machine Manager

Suvayu

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:40 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

No it is not a bug. You need to run the libvirtd daemon before you can

use hardware virtualised machines. I would also advise against your

current workaround of running GUI apps as root. Agree with you on not running gui apps as root....found listed bug for f13 and assumed the same on f15, so took that shortcut temporarily.*
On F14 something like

this should resolve the error,

# chkconfig --level 35 libvirtd on # libvirtd on for runlevel 3 & 5

# service libvirtd start # starts libvirtd now

was already done...libvirtd was running...on my machine chkconfig --list shows levels 3, 4 & 5 as on.*
But I was running from vnc, with selinux on warn..so that should not have caused the prob...i'll check up selinux issues once again...maybe test with selinux off.

Rgds.Sanjay.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
suvayu ali

Hi Sanjay,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@gmail.com> wrote:
> assumed the same on f15, so took that shortcut temporarily.
>

>> On F14 something like
>> this should resolve the error,
>>
>> # chkconfig --level 35 libvirtd on # libvirtd on for runlevel 3 & 5
>> # service libvirtd start # starts libvirtd now
>>
> was already done...libvirtd was running...on my machine chkconfig --list
> shows levels 3, 4 & 5 as on.

AFAIK, chkconfig output in F15 can be unreliable (as mentioned
somewhere in the wiki). You should be using systemd commands. I
believe it is systemctl. See the release notes and the systemd wiki
page for more details.

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Sanjay Arora

Running VMM as normal user still not connecting to libvirtd....not showing messagebox for password to enable correct permissions....tested login from root cli...works fine...so its a permissions issue...due to gui not getting pass from user...

libvirtd output:
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:37 PM, IST.[~] * ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd"root * * *3248 *0.0 *0.1 710752 *7552 ? * * * *Sl * 16:25 * 0:00 libvirtd --daemon
root * * *5429 *0.0 *0.0 109108 * 836 pts/2 * *S+ * 16:51 * 0:00 grep --color=auto -e libvirtd
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:43 PM, IST.[~] * systemctl is-active libvirtd
unknown
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:56 PM, IST.[~] * ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd"root * * *3248 *0.0 *0.1 710752 *7552 ? * * * *Sl * 16:25 * 0:00 libvirtd --daemon
root * * *5453 *0.0 *0.0 109108 * 836 pts/2 * *S+ * 16:52 * 0:00 grep --color=auto -e libvirtd

To check if any Selinux issues:[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:52:04 PM, IST.
[~] * cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:# * * enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
# * * permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.# * * disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.SELINUX=permissive# SELINUXTYPE= can take one of these two values:
# * * targeted - Targeted processes are protected,# * * mls - Multi Level Security protection.SELINUXTYPE=targeted
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:52:13 PM, IST.
[~] **
Any pointers?
With best regards.Sanjay.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Sanjay,

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Running VMM as normal user still not connecting to libvirtd....not showing
> messagebox for password to enable correct permissions....tested login from
> root cli...works fine...so its a permissions issue...due to gui not getting
> pass from user...
> libvirtd output:
> [root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:37 PM, IST.
> [~] * ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd"
> root * * *3248 *0.0 *0.1 710752 *7552 ? * * * *Sl * 16:25 * 0:00 libvirtd
> --daemon
> root * * *5429 *0.0 *0.0 109108 * 836 pts/2 * *S+ * 16:51 * 0:00 grep
> --color=auto -e libvirtd
> [root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:43 PM, IST.
> [~] * systemctl is-active libvirtd
> unknown

This seems fishy. Have you tried restarting libvirtd using systemctl
after your earlier attempt with service and chkconfig? What does
systemctl with the status and stop|start commands say?

[...]

> To check if any Selinux issues:
> [root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:52:04 PM, IST.
> [~] * cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
>
> # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
> # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
> # * * enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
> # * * permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
> # * * disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
> SELINUX=permissive
> # SELINUXTYPE= can take one of these two values:
> # * * targeted - Targeted processes are protected,
> # * * mls - Multi Level Security protection.
> SELINUXTYPE=targeted

This doesn't seem like an SELinux issue to me. You would be receiving
sealerts otherwise.

I'm sorry I can't give more hints, I don't have access to an F15
machine at the moment. That said, if all else fails running virsh
instead of the gui as root should be fine. Have you tried that? When I
used it the last time (about a year back) virsh seemed like a very
powerful cli frontend to libvirt.

> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 10/05/2011 07:54 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi Sanjay,
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Sanjay Arora
> <sanjay.k.arora@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Running VMM as normal user still not connecting to
>> libvirtd....not showing messagebox for password to enable correct
>> permissions....tested login from root cli...works fine...so its a
>> permissions issue...due to gui not getting pass from user...
>> libvirtd output: [root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 04:51:37 PM,
>> IST. [~] ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd" root 3248 0.0 0.1
>> 710752 7552 ? Sl 16:25 0:00 libvirtd --daemon root
>> 5429 0.0 0.0 109108 836 pts/2 S+ 16:51 0:00 grep
>> --color=auto -e libvirtd [root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011.
>> 04:51:43 PM, IST. [~] systemctl is-active libvirtd unknown
>
> This seems fishy. Have you tried restarting libvirtd using
> systemctl after your earlier attempt with service and chkconfig?
> What does systemctl with the status and stop|start commands say?
>
> [...]
>
>> To check if any Selinux issues: [root@acct] Wed, 05 October,
>> 2011. 04:52:04 PM, IST. [~] cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
>>
>> # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system. #
>> SELINUX= can take one of these three values: # enforcing -
>> SELinux security policy is enforced. # permissive - SELinux
>> prints warnings instead of enforcing. # disabled - No SELinux
>> policy is loaded. SELINUX=permissive # SELINUXTYPE= can take one
>> of these two values: # targeted - Targeted processes are
>> protected, # mls - Multi Level Security protection.
>> SELINUXTYPE=targeted
>
> This doesn't seem like an SELinux issue to me. You would be
> receiving sealerts otherwise.
>
> I'm sorry I can't give more hints, I don't have access to an F15
> machine at the moment. That said, if all else fails running virsh
> instead of the gui as root should be fine. Have you tried that?
> When I used it the last time (about a year back) virsh seemed like
> a very powerful cli frontend to libvirt.
>
>> With best regards. Sanjay.
>>

> GL

You are also running in permissive mode, which should not block any
thing via SELinux.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Sanjay Arora

Results same on freshly started system....normal user not being asked authentication by vmm & vmm connection failing...
libvirtd is running as daemon on system start...vmm fails here....
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 07:39:44 PM, IST.[~] * ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd"root * * *1696 *0.0 *0.1 383068 *6688 ? * * * *Sl * 17:00 * 0:00 libvirtd --daemonroot * * *3998 *0.0 *0.0 109108 * 836 pts/2 * *S+ * 19:40 * 0:00 grep --color=auto -e libvirtd

but....systemctl is-active fails....[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 07:40:10 PM, IST.[~] * systemctl is-active libvirtdunknown
so libvirtd restarted....
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 07:40:22 PM, IST.[~] * service libvirtd restartRestarting libvirtd (via systemctl): * * * * * * * * * * * [ *OK *]
libvirtd running with fresh processid...
[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 07:40:42 PM, IST.[~] * ps aux |grep -e "libvirtd"root * * *4039 *1.3 *0.1 383072 *6692 ? * * * *Sl * 19:40 * 0:00 libvirtd --daemonroot * * *4108 *0.0 *0.0 109104 * 836 pts/2 * *S+ * 19:40 * 0:00 grep --color=auto -e libvirtd

vmm fails here too...[root@acct] Wed, 05 October, 2011. 07:40:52 PM, IST.[~] **
any comments...pointers? as Daniel commented selinux is running in permissive mode, so should not be a problem...

With best regards.Sanjay.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/05/2011 06:18 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

[snip]
> You are also running in permissive mode, which should not block any
> thing via SELinux.

That's not necessarily true. Even in permissive mode, SELinux has some
stuff it does in the kernel. I've seen things STILL not work with
SELinux in permissive mode. You get no alerts, yet they just don't
run properly.

I'd try again with SELinux disabled (edit /etc/selinux/config, change
the mode to disabled and reboot). If things work then, I'd re-enable
SELinux, "touch /.autorelabel", reboot and try again.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Rick Stevens

Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Daniel J Walsh