Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Default NetworkManager user agent

When selecting a previously unknown wireless network, I am not getting
prompted for the password. NetworkManager just complains in
/var/log/messages that "Access point {name} has security, but secrets are
required", then gives up.

I figured out that I can launch nm-connection-editor, and find my way to an
obscure dialog where I can enter the wireless password, but this seems
wrong. As I recall, selecting an previously unknown network from nm-applet,
should result in me being automatically prompted for the password, directly.

Some googling found this:

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/ref-migrating.html#id565872

So, which package contains the user agent that prompts for wireless password?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Robert Locke

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 01:01 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> When selecting a previously unknown wireless network, I am not getting
> prompted for the password. NetworkManager just complains in
> /var/log/messages that "Access point {name} has security, but secrets are
> required", then gives up.
>
> I figured out that I can launch nm-connection-editor, and find my way to an
> obscure dialog where I can enter the wireless password, but this seems
> wrong. As I recall, selecting an previously unknown network from nm-applet,
> should result in me being automatically prompted for the password, directly.
>
> Some googling found this:
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/ref-migrating.html#id565872
>
> So, which package contains the user agent that prompts for wireless password?

For me, downloading the packages from the following fixed the problem:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/NetworkManager-0.9.1.90-3.git20110927.fc15

Not sure if it has hit updates-testing yet....

--Rob

Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Robert Locke writes:

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 01:01 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> When selecting a previously unknown wireless network, I am not getting
> prompted for the password. NetworkManager just complains in
> /var/log/messages that "Access point {name} has security, but secrets are
> required", then gives up.
>
> I figured out that I can launch nm-connection-editor, and find my way to an
> obscure dialog where I can enter the wireless password, but this seems
> wrong. As I recall, selecting an previously unknown network from nm-applet,
> should result in me being automatically prompted for the password,
directly.

> Some googling found this:
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/ref-
migrating.html#id565872

> So, which package contains the user agent that prompts for wireless
password?

For me, downloading the packages from the following fixed the problem:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/NetworkManager-0.9.1.90-3.git20110927.fc15

Not sure if it has hit updates-testing yet....

My problem is not this crash.

I simply don't get prompted for an access point's password. I don't think
that my nm-applet crashes, as this bug is reporting, if it crashed I'd
expect my abrt to be squawking about it.

I just don't get the password prompt.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Robert Locke

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 17:52 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Robert Locke writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 01:01 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > > When selecting a previously unknown wireless network, I am not getting
> > > prompted for the password. NetworkManager just complains in
> > > /var/log/messages that "Access point {name} has security, but secrets are
> > > required", then gives up.
> > >
> > > I figured out that I can launch nm-connection-editor, and find my way to an
> > > obscure dialog where I can enter the wireless password, but this seems
> > > wrong. As I recall, selecting an previously unknown network from nm-applet,
> > > should result in me being automatically prompted for the password,
> > directly.
> > >
> > > Some googling found this:
> > >
> > > http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/migrating-to-09/ref-
> > migrating.html#id565872
> > >
> > > So, which package contains the user agent that prompts for wireless
> > password?
> > >

> > For me, downloading the packages from the following fixed the problem:
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/NetworkManager-0.9.1.90-3.git20110927.fc15
> >
> > Not sure if it has hit updates-testing yet....
>
> My problem is not this crash.
>
> I simply don't get prompted for an access point's password. I don't think
> that my nm-applet crashes, as this bug is reporting, if it crashed I'd
> expect my abrt to be squawking about it.
>
> I just don't get the password prompt.

Correct. If you look at the changelog, not the bug report, you'll see
that a packaging error removed a necessary file. Your other alternative
is to install one of the -devel packages from the currently released
NetworkManager packages, but that brings a fair amount of "baggage" of
other -devel packages....

And, yes, I was experiencing the *same* non-prompting problem, not any
sort of "crash". The non-prompting was preventing my VPN connectivity in
addition to being unable to connect to new, secured wireless APs.

But feel free to wait for this to get fixed in a new, released
NetworkManager at some future undetermined date....

--Rob