Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Printing from new PC without LPT/Serial port to Dot Matrix Printer on Smb Share

On 10/03/2011 03:11 PM, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> lp would print a file to the named printer. How do I print or redirect the
> console output to the printer as is the case in "ls -lha > prn"
>
> And moreover a legacy program is printing to a device lpt1, had the port
> existed & been connected/redirected to some printer....it would have
> printed.
>
> Problem here is that there is no connection between the print output of the
> software and the lpd/lpr/cups/smb device. The software is NOT modified to
> recognize the lpr/cups device and therefore is printing to a lpt1 port, as
> all DOS legacy programs do. What I need to do is somehow capture the output
> to the lpt1 device & redirect it to the printer setup on linux.

prn, lpt1, lpt2, etc are WINDOWS device names. To print to local
connected printers in unix/linux you can pipe output to lp directly:

ls -lha | lp

or you can send directly to the physical port

ls -lha > /dev/lp0

but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a printer driver, doesn't it?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net