Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Ian Malone

Default cleaning java alternatives

Hi,

A long time ago (before iced tea and openjdk) I installed Sun Java on
my Fedora system (I see the jpackage website still exists, though it's
a bit quiet). And through subsequent upgrades I gradually ended up
with alternatives (as in alternatives --config java) which variously
pointed to gcj or, now, openjdk, this was the state of affairs until
quite recently (I had an issue with Java under F10 that required java
to work around until the underlying problem was found). Now this
computer is on F15 and I've only just noticed the icedtea-web plugin
wasn't showing up in firefox, it turned out I needed to change
alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 (incidentally, does
alternatives have any way to list what alternatives it controls? I
ended up looking through /etc/alternatives to find out).

What I'd like to know is if there's any way to reliably clean up my
alternatives system to only use the current version of openjdk (rather
than chasing separate javac, javaw, libjavaplugin etc.)? I've tried
googling a bit but haven't found anything useful.

Thanks,
--
imalone

Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Deepak Bhole

* Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> [2011-10-03 17:32]:
> Hi,
>
> A long time ago (before iced tea and openjdk) I installed Sun Java on
> my Fedora system (I see the jpackage website still exists, though it's
> a bit quiet). And through subsequent upgrades I gradually ended up
> with alternatives (as in alternatives --config java) which variously
> pointed to gcj or, now, openjdk, this was the state of affairs until
> quite recently (I had an issue with Java under F10 that required java
> to work around until the underlying problem was found). Now this
> computer is on F15 and I've only just noticed the icedtea-web plugin
> wasn't showing up in firefox, it turned out I needed to change
> alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 (incidentally, does
> alternatives have any way to list what alternatives it controls? I
> ended up looking through /etc/alternatives to find out).
>
> What I'd like to know is if there's any way to reliably clean up my
> alternatives system to only use the current version of openjdk (rather
> than chasing separate javac, javaw, libjavaplugin etc.)? I've tried
> googling a bit but haven't found anything useful.

The java plug-in has always been controlled by a separate alternative
than java/javac. AFAIK, libjavaplugin.so[.x86_64], java and javac are
the only alternatives you need to manage. Those are the master
alternatives that control the remaining ones.

Cheers,
Deepak

Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Ian Malone

On 11 October 2011 15:51, Deepak Bhole <dbhole@redhat.com> wrote:
> * Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> [2011-10-03 17:32]:
>> Hi,
>>

>> What I'd like to know is if there's any way to reliably clean up my
>> alternatives system to only use the current version of openjdk (rather
>> than chasing separate javac, javaw, libjavaplugin etc.)? I've tried
>> googling a bit but haven't found anything useful.
>>

> The java plug-in has always been controlled by a separate alternative
> than java/javac. AFAIK, libjavaplugin.so[.x86_64], java and javac are
> the only alternatives you need to manage. Those are the master
> alternatives that control the remaining ones.

Okay, thanks.

--
imalone