Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Peter McNeil

Default Yum is deeply flawed lately. Removes needed kernel modules by mistake

Paul Johnson wrote:

I came to work today and glanced at the yum logs. When it installs a
I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this, but nobody else is
yelling about it, so I must be the only one. That makes me think I've
got something configured incorrectly. I can report in bugzilla, but
won't do that until I'm sure it is not some bonehead mistake I've
made. At least I'm consistent. It is happening on all the PCs I
administer...

Re the Nvidia drivers, no you're not making any mistake, this is a
problem with the livna nvidia packaging, the problem is they update the
version numbers and the kernel module barfs when it sees a different
version number (I think) so they remove the old module.

I just reverted to doing the nvidia install manually you need to unpack
the Nvidia-blah.run using the -x flag, change to that unpacked NVIDIA
directory and run nvidia-installer -K to just install a new kernel module.

Having said that the livna packages are certainly easy and a good thing,
just not if you have a new kernel with bugs (like the 2.6.24 kernels)

Cheers,
Peter.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Robin Laing

Peter McNeil wrote:

Paul Johnson wrote:

[...]

For Nvidia, I use the freshrpms version as it uses dkms and will
re-create the module on reboot. No waiting or re-installing due to
livna being seconds behind the release of the new kernel.

--
Robin Laing