Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Stuart McGraw

Default unwanted logout in xfce

I am a refugee from Fedora 15's Gnome-3 that has found
refuge in Xfce. I'm am only sad that Gnome-3 didn't come
out sooner so I could find Xfce sooner -- it meets my needs
and expectations very well.

However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
out. This happened again last night. According the logs
there was no reboot. 'last' is hard to interpret but I
*think* it shows I left the machine around 22:56 last
night and was logged out at 23:33.

I have not been able to find any setting that might be
responsible for this. Any suggestions about where to look?
(This is a desktop machine and power management is set
to "none" on external power. Screensaver is set for 30 min
but not set to logout or even lock screen and test this
morning indicates it is not culprit.)

Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
JD

On 10/03/2011 08:04 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> I am a refugee from Fedora 15's Gnome-3 that has found
> refuge in Xfce. I'm am only sad that Gnome-3 didn't come
> out sooner so I could find Xfce sooner -- it meets my needs
> and expectations very well.
>
> However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
> my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
> client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
> out. This happened again last night. According the logs
> there was no reboot. 'last' is hard to interpret but I
> *think* it shows I left the machine around 22:56 last
> night and was logged out at 23:33.
>
> I have not been able to find any setting that might be
> responsible for this. Any suggestions about where to look?
> (This is a desktop machine and power management is set
> to "none" on external power. Screensaver is set for 30 min
> but not set to logout or even lock screen and test this
> morning indicates it is not culprit.)
A possible culprit:
Check all the bash rc files in your home dir and in /etc
and look for the variable TMOUT
If set, auto-logout will take place after the number of
seconds that TMOUT is set to.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:04:06 -0600
Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@frii.com> wrote:

> I am a refugee from Fedora 15's Gnome-3 that has found
> refuge in Xfce. I'm am only sad that Gnome-3 didn't come
> out sooner so I could find Xfce sooner -- it meets my needs
> and expectations very well.
>
> However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
> my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
> client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
> out. This happened again last night. According the logs
> there was no reboot. 'last' is hard to interpret but I
> *think* it shows I left the machine around 22:56 last
> night and was logged out at 23:33.
>
> I have not been able to find any setting that might be
> responsible for this. Any suggestions about where to look?
> (This is a desktop machine and power management is set
> to "none" on external power. Screensaver is set for 30 min
> but not set to logout or even lock screen and test this
> morning indicates it is not culprit.)

Possibly you hit a screensaver that's crashing your X server?
Try setting it to just 'blank' for a while?

also, look at ~/.xsession-errors for any crashes or other info.

kevin

Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/03/2011 08:04 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> I have not been able to find any setting that might be
> responsible for this. Any suggestions about where to look?
> (This is a desktop machine and power management is set
> to "none" on external power. Screensaver is set for 30 min
> but not set to logout or even lock screen and test this
> morning indicates it is not culprit.)

If you haven't checked the XFCE forum at http://forum.xfce.org/ yet, you
might want to.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@frii.com> wrote:
> and running overnight (have a bittorrent client running)

Since you already have possible solutions from Kevin and JD, I thought
I might offer you a OT workaround. If you are using transmission, I
would suggest you try transmission-daemon. If you prefer something on
the terminal, you could try rtorrent inside a screen session.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 10/03/2011 09:24 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:04:06 -0600
> Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@frii.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a refugee from Fedora 15's Gnome-3 that has found
>> refuge in Xfce. I'm am only sad that Gnome-3 didn't come
>> out sooner so I could find Xfce sooner -- it meets my needs
>> and expectations very well.
>>
>> However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
>> my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
>> client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
>> out. This happened again last night. According the logs
>> there was no reboot. 'last' is hard to interpret but I
>> *think* it shows I left the machine around 22:56 last
>> night and was logged out at 23:33.
>>
>> I have not been able to find any setting that might be
>> responsible for this. Any suggestions about where to look?
>> (This is a desktop machine and power management is set
>> to "none" on external power. Screensaver is set for 30 min
>> but not set to logout or even lock screen and test this
>> morning indicates it is not culprit.)
>
> Possibly you hit a screensaver that's crashing your X server?
> Try setting it to just 'blank' for a while?
> also, look at ~/.xsession-errors for any crashes or other info.

Yes, that seems to be the problem.

Nothing that seemed useful in .xsession-errors, but I was
able to run xscreensaver manually with the log option and
a short (1 minute) time interval for changing the screensavers.

After about 1.5 hours, xscreensaver died with this at the
end of the log file:

[...]
xscreensaver: 12:44:46: 0: child pid 17369 (polyominoes) terminated with signal 15.

xscreensaver: 12:44:46: 0: visual 0x21 (TrueColor, depth: 24, cmap: 256)
xscreensaver: 12:44:46: 0: saver window is 0x8000aa.
xscreensaver: 12:44:46: 0: destroyed old saver window 0x8000a8.
xscreensaver: 12:44:46: 0: spawning "cubenetic -root" in pid 17386.
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: killing pid 17386 (cubenetic)
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: child pid 17386 (cubenetic) terminated with signal 15
.
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: visual 0x21 (TrueColor, depth: 24, cmap: 256)
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: saver window is 0x8000ac.
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: destroyed old saver window 0x8000aa.
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: spawning "julia -root" in pid 17408.
Error: Can't open display: :0.0
xscreensaver: 12:45:46: 0: child pid 17408 (julia) exited abnormally (code 1).
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 8150 requests (8136 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

No idea what this indicates (but I'm guessing it has nothing
to do with the julia screensaver specifically.)

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 10/03/2011 09:18 AM, JD wrote:
> On 10/03/2011 08:04 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>>[...]
>> However, I am having one issue since I changed... I leave
>> my machine on and running overnight (have a bittorrent
>> client running) but the next morning I find I am logged
>> out. [...]
>
> A possible culprit:
> Check all the bash rc files in your home dir and in /etc
> and look for the variable TMOUT
> If set, auto-logout will take place after the number of
> seconds that TMOUT is set to.

Thanks. I was not aware of this setting. Seems not to
be the problem this time (looks like xscreensaver is
crashing as detailed in a different post) but good to
know for the future.

Responding to a couple other responses here to reduce
traffic...

On 10/03/2011 11:56 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> If you haven't checked the XFCE forum at http://forum.xfce.org/ yet, you
> might want to.

I knew about the mailing list but not the forum. Thanks.

On 10/03/2011 11:57 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Since you already have possible solutions from Kevin and JD, I thought
> I might offer you a OT workaround. If you are using transmission, I
> would suggest you try transmission-daemon. If you prefer something on
> the terminal, you could try rtorrent inside a screen session.

Again, new info to me. I will look into transmission-daemon
regardless of how the xscreensaver problem works out.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/04/2011 02:10 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> No idea what this indicates (but I'm guessing it has nothing
> to do with the julia screensaver specifically.)

It may indicate that the previous screensaver wasn't releasing the root
window.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 10/04/2011 04:07 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 02:10 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> No idea what this indicates (but I'm guessing it has nothing
>> to do with the julia screensaver specifically.)
>
> It may indicate that the previous screensaver wasn't releasing the root
> window.

When I run it with just two screensavers selected, the
one that crashes (julia) and the one that ran previous
(cubenetic) it runs ok across several switches between
them.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Joe Zeff

On 10/04/2011 04:56 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> When I run it with just two screensavers selected, the
> one that crashes (julia) and the one that ran previous
> (cubenetic) it runs ok across several switches between
> them.

As I told a caller, many years ago, part of troubleshooting is going
down one blind ally after another until one of them isn't.