Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Default unneeded dependencies on NetworkManager-gtk/glib?

HI,

This morning, I have been trying out wicd/wicd-gtk in place of
NetworkManager. This works pretty well so far. So, I was trying to
erase NetworkManager-gtk and this is what I get:

Package Arch Version Repository
Size
Removing:
NetworkManager-glib x86_64 1:0.9.1.90-1.git20110927.fc15 @updates 675 k
NetworkManager-gtk x86_64 1:0.9.1.90-1.git20110927.fc15 @updates 164 k
Removing for dependencies:
claws-mail-plugins x86_64 3.7.9-4.fc15 @updates 6.3 k
claws-mail-plugins-fancy x86_64 3.7.9-4.fc15 @updates 105 k
geoclue x86_64 0.12.0-7.fc15 @fedora 266 k
midori x86_64 0.4.0-1.fc17 @rawhide 3.5 M
webkitgtk x86_64 1.4.2-1.fc15 @updates 29 M

Transaction Summary
Remove 7 Package(s)
Installed size: 34 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

I wonder why these other dependencies would specifically depend on the
NetworkManager-glib/gtk. The network is understandable, but
specifically NetworkManager-*? If this needs to be reported, what
should it be reported under? The specific individual components?

A couple more questions: where do I set up wicd to be automatically
started upon boot? I seem to think I knew this, but could not find it
anywhere in my notes -- sorry I can usually not find much of the little I keep :-(

Also, are there any benefits to using NetworkManager over wicd, say?
The former seems too big, with all its dependencies, but an in-house
Fedora product from what I recall.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Rex Dieter

Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> This morning, I have been trying out wicd/wicd-gtk in place of
> NetworkManager. This works pretty well so far. So, I was trying to
> erase NetworkManager-gtk and this is what I get:

It's a runtime library, required by certain applications to... detect
network status (obviously, only functional if actually using NetworkManager,
mind you). In short, leave 'em alone.

-- rex

Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:44:44 -0500 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
> > This morning, I have been trying out wicd/wicd-gtk in place of
> > NetworkManager. This works pretty well so far. So, I was trying to
> > erase NetworkManager-gtk and this is what I get:
>
> It's a runtime library, required by certain applications to... detect
> network status (obviously, only functional if actually using NetworkManager,
> mind you). In short, leave 'em alone.

Thanks very much! It appears that geoclue is what requires libnm
(inexplicably in my thinking) and the others are all in a
cascading effect wrt geoclue.

On the other hand, I was wondering: is there a benefit to using
NetworkManager over wicd? Just curious, because both seem to have the
same functionality: I like that wicd provides me with more scanning
information. But does this additional information come at a price? Both
are from the fedora repos.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 08:44:44 -0500 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>>
>> > This morning, I have been trying out wicd/wicd-gtk in place of
>> > NetworkManager. This works pretty well so far. So, I was trying to
>> > erase NetworkManager-gtk and this is what I get:
>>
>> It's a runtime library, required by certain applications to... detect
>> network status (obviously, only functional if actually using NetworkManager,
>> mind you). *In short, leave 'em alone.
>
> Thanks very much! It appears that geoclue is what requires libnm
> (inexplicably in my thinking) and the others are all in a
> cascading effect wrt geoclue.
>
> On the other hand, I was wondering: is there a benefit to using
> NetworkManager over wicd? Just curious, because both seem to have the
> same functionality: I like that wicd provides me with more scanning
> information. But does this additional information come at a price? Both
> are from the fedora repos.

wicd doesn't support mobile broadband adapters, PPoE, VPNs, or IPv6,
among other things.

> Many thanks and best wishes,
> Ranjan

-T.C.