Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Semi-transparent box on desktop

max bianco wrote:

I thought this post was a joke too. No offense but i did not think there
was anyone using a computer today that didn't know you could grab multiple
objects like that, i am glad everyone is so thrilled , a rare enough
occurrence around here, but this is pretty basic functionality. I would
never have guessed it would cause so much excitement.

It's not really any more intuitive than knowing all the variable and
wildcard substitutions and i/o redirections the shell can do before
starting each command.

--
Les Mikeseell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Tom Holroyd

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 09:25 -0400, max bianco wrote:
> I thought this post was a joke too. No offense but i did not think
> there was anyone using a computer today that didn't know you could
> grab multiple objects like that, i am glad everyone is so thrilled , a
> rare enough occurrence around here, but this is pretty basic
> functionality. I would never have guessed it would cause so much
> excitement.

There was a post the other day about accidental rebooting which was
obviously a joke, but it seems people didn't get it. It's hard to tell
in email if you are joking (that's why we use smilies).

If you grew up using the command line like I did the desktop is more of
an annoyance. A guy once looked at my screen and said, "it doesn't look
like you are using a window manager at all! Is that just bare X?"

I like to right click to open up the app menu and select "terminal," but
that's about it. Oh and the workspace pager obviously. And the clock.
--
Dr. Tom Holroyd
The 9th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Ed Greshko

Tom Holroyd wrote:

I thought this post was a joke too. No offense but i did not think
there was anyone using a computer today that didn't know you could
grab multiple objects like that, i am glad everyone is so thrilled , a
rare enough occurrence around here, but this is pretty basic
functionality. I would never have guessed it would cause so much
excitement.

There was a post the other day about accidental rebooting which was
obviously a joke, but it seems people didn't get it. It's hard to tell
in email if you are joking (that's why we use smilies).

Are you saying it is April Fools practice week? :-)

If you grew up using the command line like I did the desktop is more of
an annoyance. A guy once looked at my screen and said, "it doesn't look
like you are using a window manager at all! Is that just bare X?"

I like to right click to open up the app menu and select "terminal," but
that's about it. Oh and the workspace pager obviously. And the clock.

--
When you surround an army, leave an outlet free.
Do not press a desperate foe too hard.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Tom Holroyd wrote:

[...]

I like X because you can run dozens of windows at once and cut/paste
among them, but mine mostly tend to be terminals too. The really
annoying thing about GUIs is that there's no way to describe or repeat
what you just did. On the command line, you can do some complicated set
of operations, then scroll back through your command history and
cut/paste it into a script file and you'll be able to repeat that set of
operations as often as you want on as many machines as you want. With a
GUI, you can't even tell someone else how to do what you just did and
its just as hard to repeat it yourself as it was the first time.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Tom Holroyd

Sun Tzu didn't have airborne laser canons.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Tom Holroyd

Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Tom Holroyd

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 09:55 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I like X because you can run dozens of windows at once and cut/paste
> among them, but mine mostly tend to be terminals too. The really
> annoying thing about GUIs is that there's no way to describe or repeat
> what you just did. On the command line, you can do some complicated set
> of operations, then scroll back through your command history and
> cut/paste it into a script file and you'll be able to repeat that set of
> operations as often as you want on as many machines as you want. With a
> GUI, you can't even tell someone else how to do what you just did and
> its just as hard to repeat it yourself as it was the first time.

Seconded. GUIs are not scriptable. Complex primitives are good.

Dr. Tom
--
There is nothing that grows more pleasingly on earth than a lofty,
strong will: it is the finest growth. An entire landscape refreshes

Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

max bianco wrote:

> I thought this *post was a joke too. *No offense but i did not think there

> was anyone using a computer today that didn't know you could grab multiple

> objects like that, i am glad everyone is so thrilled , a rare enough

> occurrence around here, but this is pretty basic functionality. I would

> never have guessed it would cause so much excitement.

It's not really any more intuitive than knowing all the variable and

wildcard substitutions and i/o redirections the shell can do before

starting each command.

Right you are but its been around so long that i take it for granted. I don't remember being impressed the first time i used it. It made sense that it should work that way and i've taken it for granted(a bad habit, taking things for granted) ever since.

Max

Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Ed Greshko

Right you are but its been around so long that i take it for granted. I
don't remember being impressed the first time i used it. It made sense
that it should work that way and i've taken it for granted(a bad habit,
taking things for granted) ever since.

Yes, as indicated above, bad habit.

While you are taking things for granted you should also take for granted
that the things you take for granted are probably not the same things that
others take for granted for the body of knowledge you have accumulated is
likely not the same body of knowledge that others have accumulated no matter
how obvious it would appear to you.

Oh, and just to be clear, the word "you" above is plural. :-)