-   -   Printing from new PC without LPT/Serial port to Dot Matrix Printer on Smb Share (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/582895-printing-new-pc-without-lpt-serial-port-dot-matrix-printer-smb-share.html)

Tim Waugh 10-03-2011 10:57 AM

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 14:34 +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> While I can create the SMB printer from the Printers GUI screen, it
> does not get enabled or even print a test page. I think the issue is
> that the software prints to a device that does not exist. I think I
> need to create a device file & redirect it to the smb share or
> something similar....but maybe I'm wrong.

No, that doesn't sound right.

First of all, what are you using to set up the printer? "Printers GUI"
could refer to several different things...

The way to do what you want is to use the system-config-printer
application. Set up the SMB queue, and for the driver choose "Generic"
as the manufacturer and "Raw Queue" as the model.

Tim.
*/

Sanjay Arora 10-03-2011 12:30 PM

Printing from new PC without LPT/Serial port to Dot Matrix Printer on Smb Share

Tim

First of all, what are you using to set up the printer? *"Printers GUI"
could refer to several different things...

I am using system-config-printer....Selected Windows Printer via SAMBA, keyed in the widows samba printer uri, keyed in authentication details & clicked verify....the printer verified as accessible.

The way to do what you want is to use the system-config-printer

application. *Set up the SMB queue, and for the driver choose "Generic"

as the manufacturer and "Raw Queue" as the model.

Upon selection of Printer Driver as Epson 24 pin Generic AND upon selection of Manufaturer as Generic & Raw Queue as model, the printer gets installed and does print a test page. It is getting Enabled now...Thanks!

But it still does not print from CLI applications printing to the printer port (In my case, from ls -lha >prn or Harbour compiled legacy dbase applications). The output of ls -lha > prn does not land in the print queue, even if this printer is the default printer, nor does the output of the legacy DOS based programs recompiled on Linux (Harbour project...in my case for recompiling old dbase programs).

Hope you can help me troubleshoot further.
With best regards & thanks.Sanjay.

Tim Waugh 10-03-2011 01:04 PM

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 18:00 +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> But it still does not print from CLI applications printing to the
> printer port (In my case, from ls -lha >prn or Harbour compiled legacy
> dbase applications). The output of ls -lha > prn does not land in the
> print queue, even if this printer is the default printer, nor does the
> output of the legacy DOS based programs recompiled on Linux (Harbour
> project...in my case for recompiling old dbase programs).

To print from the command line, use the lp command.

Tim.
*/

Sanjay Arora 10-03-2011 07:11 PM