Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Hiisi

Default Apoligies Dearest

On 3 October 2011 10:36, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> My gmail addy was got at:
> There was a login from Turkey,
> Back in control of my gmail.
>
> As I am using pop, so no idea until I got a heads up.

Is your password still a 'password'?

;-)

--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM

--
No, probably upgraded to "secret"

Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Hiisi <hiisi@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Is your password still a 'password'?

The other day I installed my Mom's Mac OS Xsecurity updates. I'm
afraid she's not technophilic enough to use GNU/Linux. The very last
thing I did was to have her set at her iMac herself, open the System
Preferences, go to Users and Groups, and give herself a password.

I was able to install all of her operating system patches without
entering a password at all! I am quite certain that her identical
twin sister's MacBook likewise has no password.

I myself installed a whole bunch of application upgrades and security
updates on Windows XP yesterday. While I have a password for my user
account, I was able to do all those installations without any
authentication.

A while back I tried to "secure" my Windows 2000 box, for example by
disabling write permision in the Program Files folder. Nothing worked
after that, because so many programs save user data right next to
their executables.

I'd like to secure my WinXP installation but it's going to take some
study to figure out how to.

With Ubuntu, I have to use "sudo" to install all my patches, and root
logins are disabled, although I can do "sudo sh" to get a root shell.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Frank Murphy

On 03/10/11 10:37, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:

> Is your password still a 'password'?
>
> ;-)
>>
>> Frank
> --
> No, probably upgraded to "secret"

Actually this is the no longer used password for anything of mine
CFF63669B89A1E53392CE7670807835E1FA9163BD77AC9209E 488FBDA04D

I presumed 60 was long enough.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually this is the no longer used password for anything of mine
> CFF63669B89A1E53392CE7670807835E1FA9163BD77AC9209E 488FBDA04D
>
> I presumed 60 was long enough.

The Truecrypt filesystem encryptor (http://www.truecrypt.org) allows
one to use binary key files. You can use any file you like; I think
the first 1024 bits are used for the key.

So you could rip a CD and use your Ogg Vorbis or FLAC file for your
filesystem encryption.

But if you lose your keyfile, or even if so much as one bit of the
keyfile gets flipped, you won't be able to decrypt your filesystem
anymore!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 07:36:50 +0100, FM (Frank) wrote:

> On 03/10/11 02:24, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> > Don't think I want to open that, dunno why.
> >

> My gmail addy was got at:
> There was a login from Turkey,
> Back in control of my gmail.

Just for the record, I don't believe you. I cannot believe you
based on the mail's envelope contents, which contained this:

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id gd6sm17286737wbb.1.2011.10.02.00.56.34
(version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER); Sun, 02 Oct 2011 00:56:34 -0700 (PDT)

Compare that with your recent messages:

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id o7sm21710881wbh.8.2011.10.02.23.36.50
(version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER); Sun, 02 Oct 2011 23:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

According to this, you've forwarded the spam mail to this list yourself
from your local machine. Someone would not be able to do with by
capturing your GMail account.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.05 0.05

Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Ed Greshko

> Just for the record.......

This isn't Law&Order and you're not Jack McCoy. :-)

Somehow I can't see anything good coming out of impugning the character
of a fellow list member.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Frank Murphy

On 04/10/11 09:41, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 07:36:50 +0100, FM (Frank) wrote:
>
>> On 03/10/11 02:24, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>>> Don't think I want to open that, dunno why.
>>>

>> My gmail addy was got at:
>> There was a login from Turkey,
>> Back in control of my gmail.
>
> Just for the record, I don't believe you. I cannot believe you
> based on the mail's envelope contents, which contained this:

> by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id gd6sm17286737wbb.1.2011.10.02.00.56.34
> (version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER); Sun, 02 Oct 2011 00:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Compare that with your recent messages:

> by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id o7sm21710881wbh.8.2011.10.02.23.36.50
> (version=SSLv3 cipher=OTHER); Sun, 02 Oct 2011 23:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
>
> According to this, you've forwarded the spam mail to this list yourself
> from your local machine. Someone would not be able to do with by
> capturing your GMail account.

That's all I found wrong.
And it hasn't happedned since pw change.
So if somneone with more more experience, wants to give my box a tuneup,
on their dime. Your more than welcome.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:09:18 +0800, EG (Ed) wrote:

> On 10/04/2011 04:41 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Just for the record.......
>
> This isn't Law&Order and you're not Jack McCoy. :-)

I guessed what the first could be and didn't have a clue who Jack McCoy
might be. Had to ask Google.

> Somehow I can't see anything good coming out of impugning the character
> of a fellow list member.

Next time, Frank will know better. This time his apologies should have
been sent to the list as "Sorry, I made a mistake and forwarded a message
accidentally" instead of claiming that someone from Turkey has sent the
message after hacking his account. Btw, that message also contained

| rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110906 Thunderbird/6.0.2

in the headers. Another indiciation that the Google Mail web interface
has not been abused by someone from Turkey.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.04 0.07 0.06

Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM

On 10/03/2011 10:09 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 03/10/11 10:37, J.Witvliet@mindef.nl wrote:
>> Is your password still a 'password'?
>>
>> ;-)
>>> Frank
>> --
>> No, probably upgraded to "secret"
>>

> Actually this is the no longer used password for anything of mine
> CFF63669B89A1E53392CE7670807835E1FA9163BD77AC9209E 488FBDA04D
>
> I presumed 60 was long enough.

if you want to find out, enter it at this link;

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

--

peace out.

tc.hago,