FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

Everyone,

I have had problems with evolution on F15 ever since I installed F15. I
think I may have found at least one part of the problem and solution.

I kept getting messages from evolution about half the time that
the MaxCrashReportsSize was set too low in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf

I think the original setting was 1000, and I changed it to 5000 which
did not make any difference. I changed it to 50000 today and it seems
to be functioning better, at least it has not crashed in over 4 hours.

Have any of the rest of you had this problem ?

Greg Ennis

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Peter Gordon
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 18:00 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I kept getting messages from evolution about half the time that
> the MaxCrashReportsSize was set too low in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf
> [...]
> Have any of the rest of you had this problem ?

Greg,

I'm not so sure that is an Evolution-specific bug. Do you regularly
notice Evolution crashing? I repeatedly see this whenever _any_ program
crashes (which thankfully is a rare occurrence).

Without more informtation, I'd say that this is an issue with ABRT's
default configuration, and not Evolution.

Regards.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@thecodergeek.com>
Who am I? :: http://thecodergeek.com/about-me

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 16:40:16 -0700, PG (Peter) wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 18:00 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > I kept getting messages from evolution about half the time that
> > the MaxCrashReportsSize was set too low in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf
> > [...]
> > Have any of the rest of you had this problem ?
>
> Greg,
>
> I'm not so sure that is an Evolution-specific bug. Do you regularly
> notice Evolution crashing? I repeatedly see this whenever _any_ program
> crashes (which thankfully is a rare occurrence).
>
> Without more informtation, I'd say that this is an issue with ABRT's
> default configuration, and not Evolution.

Agreed. Settings in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf are specific to ABRT and do not
influence Evolution in any way. The value you've changed only tells ABRT
how much disk space it may use. You could also set it to 0 (unlimited).

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.15 0.13
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 16:40:16 -0700, PG (Peter) wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 18:00 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > I kept getting messages from evolution about half the time that
> > the MaxCrashReportsSize was set too low in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf
> > [...]
> > Have any of the rest of you had this problem ?
>
> Greg,
>
> I'm not so sure that is an Evolution-specific bug. Do you regularly
> notice Evolution crashing? I repeatedly see this whenever _any_ program
> crashes (which thankfully is a rare occurrence).
>
> Without more informtation, I'd say that this is an issue with ABRT's
> default configuration, and not Evolution.

Agreed. Settings in /etc/abrt/abrt.conf are specific to ABRT and do not
influence Evolution in any way. The value you've changed only tells ABRT
how much disk space it may use. You could also set it to 0 (unlimited).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, raising this to 50K did not solve the problem. I am
still getting evolution crashes, but the message related to the size of
the MaxCrashReportSize are no longer appearing. I am not getting
crashes with any other software at this point. I have tried to file a
report with BUGZILLA, but the process of doing so completes with an
error message that that there is inadequate information to post to
Bugzilla.

I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else so I may be dealing
with something that is related to my system. However, I am close to
switching to a different MDA.

Thanks for your comments!!!

Greg

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:40:19 -0500, GPE (Gregory) wrote:

> Unfortunately, raising this to 50K did not solve the problem. I am
> still getting evolution crashes, but the message related to the size of
> the MaxCrashReportSize are no longer appearing. I am not getting
> crashes with any other software at this point. I have tried to file a
> report with BUGZILLA, but the process of doing so completes with an
> error message that that there is inadequate information to post to
> Bugzilla.

Do you have a user account at http://bugzilla.redhat.com?
Do you try to log in there yourself or via ABRT?
In ABRT, you need to configure the bugzilla plugin Preferences with your
account details.
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/evolution contains a quick "Report" link
to take you directly to the right bugzilla page for evolution.

> I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else so I may be dealing
> with something that is related to my system. However, I am close to
> switching to a different MDA.

Unless you refer to something else here, Evolution is an MUA not an MDA.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.30 0.22 0.17
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On 10/03/2011 12:53 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Do you have a user account athttp://bugzilla.redhat.com?
> Do you try to log in there yourself or via ABRT?
> In ABRT, you need to configure the bugzilla plugin Preferences with your
> account details.

How do you do that? I've been having trouble with my laptop because it
can't log in properly. I reported that as a bug, but the suggestions in
comments don't work.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:40:19 -0500, GPE (Gregory) wrote:

> Unfortunately, raising this to 50K did not solve the problem. I am
> still getting evolution crashes, but the message related to the size of
> the MaxCrashReportSize are no longer appearing. I am not getting
> crashes with any other software at this point. I have tried to file a
> report with BUGZILLA, but the process of doing so completes with an
> error message that that there is inadequate information to post to
> Bugzilla.

Do you have a user account at http://bugzilla.redhat.com?
Do you try to log in there yourself or via ABRT?
In ABRT, you need to configure the bugzilla plugin Preferences with your
account details.
http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/evolution contains a quick "Report" link
to take you directly to the right bugzilla page for evolution.

> I have not seen this problem reported by anyone else so I may be dealing
> with something that is related to my system. However, I am close to
> switching to a different MDA.

Unless you refer to something else here, Evolution is an MUA not an MDA.

-------------------
Michael,

OK, you 'got me' I should have labeled it as an MUA for sure; thanks
for the correction. I have an account with Bugzilla; I have never
posted anything through abrt, but I just finally got it to work. Thanks
for your suggestions.

Greg

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:05:52 -0700, JZ (Joe) wrote:

> > Do you have a user account athttp://bugzilla.redhat.com?
> > Do you try to log in there yourself or via ABRT?
> > In ABRT, you need to configure the bugzilla plugin Preferences with your
> > account details.
>
> How do you do that? I've been having trouble with my laptop because it
> can't log in properly. I reported that as a bug, but the suggestions in
> comments don't work.

In abrt-gui:

Edit > Preferences > Bugzilla > [Configure Event]

That opens a small dialog where you fill in your username and password
for your bugzilla.redhat.com account.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.04 0.09 0.06
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default F15 - evolution crashes - abrt.conf

On 10/04/2011 12:08 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> In abrt-gui:
>
> Edit> Preferences> Bugzilla> [Configure Event]
>
> That opens a small dialog where you fill in your username and password
> for your bugzilla.redhat.com account.

Interesting. Thank you. I reported this on Bugzilla as a bug in abrt
(It doesn't allow you to configure it properly.) and although a
maintainer gave me various instructions, he never mentioned this. Odd,
isn't it?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org