Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Stuart Sears

Default PDF Editor or Converter for Fedora/Linux?

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Is there a PDF editor or converter available for Fedora? Seems
that OpenOffice does not yet support it at this time?

Thanks!

pdf2ps?

followed by ps2ascii,

then vim.

not sure it would help much with embedded images, though.

/me heard that scribus might be able to do something with PDFs, but
hasn't actually checked.

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 08:20 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Is there a PDF editor or converter available for Fedora? Seems
> that OpenOffice does not yet support it at this time?
----
edit what?
convert to what?

why not be more specific and get more specific answers?

Craig

Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Tom Holroyd

PDF is an output format. Much like the way that a C program is compiled
into an executable, a source .doc or .tex file is converted to PDF for
display. You need the source code to edit. Open Source!

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 09:48 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 08:20 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > Is there a PDF editor or converter available for Fedora? Seems
> > that OpenOffice does not yet support it at this time?
> ----
> edit what?
> convert to what?

Dr. Tom
--
Since humanity came into being, man has enjoyed himself too little: that
alone, my brothers, is our original sin! Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Tom Holroyd <tomh@kurage.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:
> PDF is an output format. Much like the way that a C program is compiled
> into an executable, a source .doc or .tex file is converted to PDF for
> display. You need the source code to edit. Open Source!

I don't think C is a very good analogy. All Illustrator files are PDF
format these days and many programs can edit PDFs - I just haven't
come across anything very good that runs on linux yet. PDFEditor
looks promising, but I don't find it usable yet. If you wrote a
program that followed Adobe's specs, nothing would prevent you from
reading/editing/writing PDF files:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

I generally have to convert a PDF to various formats based on what I
want out of it, then recreate it in Scribus or OpenOffice if I want a
new PDF. I often use this script to pull out vector data:

<snip>
#!/bin/bash

# you need gs-common, pstoedit and skencil to
# get this script working
export BASENAME=$1

#convert to ps
pdf2ps ${BASENAME} ${BASENAME}.ps

# Outline fonts
eps2eps -dNOCACHE ${BASENAME}.ps ${BASENAME}-TEMP

# Fix bounding box
ps2epsi ${BASENAME}-TEMP ${BASENAME}.ps
rm ${BASENAME}-TEMP

# convert to svg
pstoedit -f plot-svg ${BASENAME}.ps ${BASENAME}.svg
rm ${BASENAME}.ps
<snip>

Or I might rip the PDF in GIMP to extract the images. Sometimes I
open it in Reader and copy/paste the text. Printing to file from
Reader or running pdf2ps will sometimes yield a postscript document
than can be imported into Inkscape - but that hasn't worked very
reliably in my experience.

In the end, you *can* edit a PDF in linux, it's just often very, very
painful - and I don't think that the pain is caused by anything
"closed source" - the PDF spec has been available for years.

Chris

Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
"Chris Mohler"

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Robin Laing

Chris Mohler wrote:

[...]

I just did a quick test with KWord and it opens pdfs for editing. I
don't know how good it is. I understand OOo 3.0 will have pdf editing
abilities.

--
Robin Laing

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Robin Laing
<Robin.Laing@drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
[...]
> I just did a quick test with KWord and it opens pdfs for editing. I
> don't know how good it is. I understand OOo 3.0 will have pdf editing
> abilities.

Thanks for the tip. It did better than anything else I've tried, but
still dropped all of the vector graphics. I'll definitely keep my eye
on it though.

Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Brian Chadwick

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Is there a PDF editor or converter available for Fedora? Seems
that OpenOffice does not yet support it at this time?

Thanks!

Checked by AVG.
3/17/2008 10:48 AM

yum install pdfedit