Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
wwp

Default xdg-utils vs GNOME/XFCE (Fedora 8)

Hello there,

I can't get some custom MIME settings to work in GNOME and XFCE. When I
set them using xdg-utils and the xdg-mime command I use returns 0.
konqueror even acknowledges the changes. I tried restarting my GNOME
and XFCE sessions, but my custom MIME types are not effective in
nautilus and thunar.

I tried both user and system install modes, same.

Setting other desktop-related stuff like xdg-desktop-icon and
xdg-desktop-menu have the expected effects to all desktops (and their
related icons set using xdg-icon-resource too).

Anyone w/ xdg-utils experience in Fedora?

wwp

Old 03-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Rex Dieter

wwp wrote:

> Hello there,
>

> I can't get some custom MIME settings to work in GNOME and XFCE. When I
> set them using xdg-utils and the xdg-mime command I use returns 0.
> konqueror even acknowledges the changes. I tried restarting my GNOME
> and XFCE sessions, but my custom MIME types are not effective in
> nautilus and thunar.

kde (v3 anyway) uses a different MIME system than gnome/xfce(*), so setting
a mimetype within a kde3 session affects *only* kde (and like-wise setting
a mime association from within gnome/xfce won't touch kde).

-- Rex

(*) shared-mime-info spec. kde4 uses this now too.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 AM
wwp

Hello Rex,

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:59:48 -0500 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

> wwp wrote:
>
> > Hello there,
> >

> > I can't get some custom MIME settings to work in GNOME and XFCE. When I
> > set them using xdg-utils and the xdg-mime command I use returns 0.
> > konqueror even acknowledges the changes. I tried restarting my GNOME
> > and XFCE sessions, but my custom MIME types are not effective in
> > nautilus and thunar.
>
> kde (v3 anyway) uses a different MIME system than gnome/xfce(*), so setting
> a mimetype within a kde3 session affects *only* kde (and like-wise setting
> a mime association from within gnome/xfce won't touch kde).

Well, except that I don't use a KDE-specific way to define MIME, I use
xdg-utils, which are - tell me if I'm wrong - supposed to do it for
KDE/GNOME/whatever desktops they support and are installed?

wwp

Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Rex Dieter

wwp wrote:

>> > I can't get some custom MIME settings to work in GNOME and XFCE. When I
>> > set them using xdg-utils and the xdg-mime command I use returns 0.
>> > konqueror even acknowledges the changes. I tried restarting my GNOME
>> > and XFCE sessions, but my custom MIME types are not effective in
>> > nautilus and thunar.
>>
>> kde (v3 anyway) uses a different MIME system than gnome/xfce(*), so
>> setting a mimetype within a kde3 session affects *only* kde (and
>> like-wise setting a mime association from within gnome/xfce won't touch
>> kde).
>
> Well, except that I don't use a KDE-specific way to define MIME, I use
> xdg-utils, which are - tell me if I'm wrong - supposed to do it for
> KDE/GNOME/whatever desktops they support and are installed?

OK, you're wrong. That's not how xdg-utils (mime support anyway),
works, I'm afraid.

It operates on whichever desktop you're currently in (only), not on all
desktops currently installed.

-- Rex

Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
wwp

Hello Rex,

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:58:11 -0500 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

> >> kde (v3 anyway) uses a different MIME system than gnome/xfce(*), so
> >> setting a mimetype within a kde3 session affects *only* kde (and
> >> like-wise setting a mime association from within gnome/xfce won't touch
> >> kde).
> >
> > Well, except that I don't use a KDE-specific way to define MIME, I use
> > xdg-utils, which are - tell me if I'm wrong - supposed to do it for
> > KDE/GNOME/whatever desktops they support and are installed?
>
> OK, you're wrong. That's not how xdg-utils (mime support anyway),
> works, I'm afraid.
>
> It operates on whichever desktop you're currently in (only), not on all
> desktops currently installed.

OK, good to know! Thanks for the tip. My assertion about MIME install
was wrongly deduced by the fact that xdg-desktop-icon and
xdg-desktop-menu does affect all (installed) desktops with one call
only.

wwp

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
wwp

Hello Rex,

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:43:30 -0500 Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

> wwp wrote:
>
> > Hello Rex,
>
> >> OK, you're wrong. That's not how xdg-utils (mime support anyway),
> >> works, I'm afraid.
> >>
> >> It operates on whichever desktop you're currently in (only), not on all
> >> desktops currently installed.
> >
> > OK, good to know! Thanks for the tip. My assertion about MIME install
> > was wrongly deduced by the fact that xdg-desktop-icon and
> > xdg-desktop-menu does affect all (installed) desktops with one call
> > only.
>
> Hmm... I'm going to go back and re-read the code.
> Maybe it could be made to work without too much pain.

True, there's some inconsistency here if one tool works for current
desktop and the other for all, or something to document maybe. Anyway.

Are you involved in xdg-utils dev in some way, or packaging them for
fedora?

wwp

Old 03-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 18:23 +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hello Rex,

> > > Well, except that I don't use a KDE-specific way to define MIME, I use
> > > xdg-utils, which are - tell me if I'm wrong - supposed to do it for
> > > KDE/GNOME/whatever desktops they support and are installed?
> >
> > OK, you're wrong. That's not how xdg-utils (mime support anyway),
> > works, I'm afraid.
> >
> > It operates on whichever desktop you're currently in (only), not on all
> > desktops currently installed.
>
> OK, good to know! Thanks for the tip. My assertion about MIME install
> was wrongly deduced by the fact that xdg-desktop-icon and
> xdg-desktop-menu does affect all (installed) desktops with one call
> only.

A guy could always wish, however. Wouldn't that be a really nice
world to live in?? <grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar