Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
chloe K

Default how can I copy?

Hi all

i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer

but all parameters in /proc are gone

eg: cpuinfo

how can I copy it and keep the information?

thank you

Yahoo!
Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on
the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
"vincenzo romero"

why are you trying to do that? (that is, copy the /proc contents)

2008/3/18 chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca>:
> Hi all
>
> i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer
>
> but all parameters in /proc are gone
>
> eg: cpuinfo
>
> how can I copy it and keep the information?
>
> thank you

best,

Vince

Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
"vincenzo romero"

why are you trying to do that? (that is, copy the /proc contents)

2008/3/18 chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca>:
> Hi all
>
> i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer
>
> but all parameters in /proc are gone
>
> eg: cpuinfo
>
> how can I copy it and keep the information?
>
> thank you

best,

Vince

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Albert Graham

Good luck

your favourite sites. Download it now! <http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com/>

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Stuart Sears

chloe K wrote:

Hi all

i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer

What exactly do you want to achieve by doing this?

but all parameters in /proc are gone

eg: cpuinfo

This is because the 'files' in /proc don't actually exist as such.

/proc is a kernel reporting (and in some cases tuning) mechanism.
You can't really change much of it, but the items you can mess with are
mostly controlled by sysctl, so

sysctl -a > mysysctls would copy those settings for you.

how can I copy it and keep the information?

for individual files you could probably do something like this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo > cpuinfo.txt

and then copy the cpuinfo.txt file to another computer.

But it would help to know why you wish to do this as it seems there may
be better ways to achieve your goals.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 18/03/2008, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer
>
> but all parameters in /proc are gone
>
> eg: cpuinfo
>
> how can I copy it and keep the information?

the /proc mount point doesn't correspond to any data stored on a hard
disk or any other data storeage media, if that's what you're assuming.
It's actually a "filesystem" exposed by the kernel. It's therefore not
meaningful to copy it across to another computer. Perhpas if you
explained a little more about what you're trying to do, people could
help you some more.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 PM
chloe K

hi Stuart

thank you so much. you are very helpful

but someone made this computer to hide something
sysctl -a and /etc/sysctl.conf are not in the system

thank you again

Stuart Sears <stuart@sjsears.com> wrote: chloe K wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i am trying to copy this folder /proc to other computer

What exactly do you want to achieve by doing this?

> but all parameters in /proc are gone
>
> eg: cpuinfo

This is because the 'files' in /proc don't actually exist as such.

/proc is a kernel reporting (and in some cases tuning) mechanism.
You can't really change much of it, but the items you can mess with are
mostly controlled by sysctl, so
sysctl -a > mysysctls would copy those settings for you.

> how can I copy it and keep the
information?

for individual files you could probably do something like this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo > cpuinfo.txt

and then copy the cpuinfo.txt file to another computer.

But it would help to know why you wish to do this as it seems there may
be better ways to achieve your goals.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
chloe K

Hi all

i just want to get all information stored in /proc/net

ls it possible?

Thank you

Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Stuart Sears

chloe K wrote:

Hi all

i just want to get all information stored in /proc/net

ls it possible?

something like this?

mkdir /tmp/net

for dir in $(find /proc/net -type d | sed 's,/proc/net/,,')
do
mkdir -p /tmp/net/$dir;
done

for file in $(find /proc/net -type f | sed 's,/proc/net/,,')
do
cat /proc/net/$file > /tmp/net/$file
done

then backup /tmp/net

ps how did you end up with not sysctl command? it should be in /sbin
(it wouldn't have been any use for this requirement anyway)

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 18/03/2008, chloe K <chloekcy2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i just want to get all information stored in /proc/net
>
> ls it possible?

If you really want to make a snapshot of the file contents under
/proc/net onto disk, you could:

1) mkdir procnet
2) cd procnet
3) create a file called snapshot with the following contents:
#!/bin/bash

for i in `find /proc/net -type d` ; do
mkdir -p .$i
done

for i in `find /proc/net -type f` ; do
echo $i
cat $i > .$i
done

4) chmod +x snapshot
5) ./snapshot

And then in your procnet directory, you should see a replica tree of /proc/net

There's probably a more elegant way of scripting this - I'm sure
scripting gurus will jump in

J.