Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Newbury

Default Fun and games with 3TB hard drives

To Daniel Thurman

Why fight with physical hardware limitations?

Install Virtualbox (it's free) and create as many bootable virtuals as you want, each reachable without a physical hard-on-the-hardware re-boot. And from my experience the actual boot times of the virtuals are only about 50% of physical boot time for the same OS on the same hardware, ignoring BIOS initialization. Plus you can archive a copy of the vdi file for a near instant 're-install'.

Geoff

Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 10/02/2011 08:40 AM, Newbury wrote:
> To Daniel Thurman
>
> Why fight with physical hardware limitations?
>
> Install Virtualbox (it's free) and create as many bootable virtuals as you want, each reachable without a physical hard-on-the-hardware re-boot. And from my experience the actual boot times of the virtuals are only about 50% of physical boot time for the same OS on the same hardware, ignoring BIOS initialization. Plus you can archive a copy of the vdi file for a near instant 're-install'.
>
> Geoff
I did try VB when it came out at the time, but found it quite
difficult figuring out all the nuances from partitions to networking
and so on. I guess I was not ready to invest the time in Virt when
I wanted to focus more on development. So, I stuck with what I am
most familiar with.

As it is, I have 3x2T hard drives, Drives 1 & 2 are manual semi-mirrors
of each other and 3 is for staging and testing of new OSes. Managing
these are a pita, but it works. I have had drive 1, or drive 1 partitions
wiped out only to recover from drive 2 or drive 3. Were it a mirror, I
would have lost both.

As for the 3T hard disk, I was not willing to be a guinea pig, wasting
time fiddling with the 2TB boundary, and unknown older OS nuances
and to stick with what I am familiar with, so I ended up with a 2T drive
with SATA-3 and a 64MB buffer for the same price as the 3TB drive.