Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Default conkyforecast

Hi,

Just curious why conkyforecast is not in the Fedora repos? The source
is at http://www.mostlyslack.com/slackstuff/sources/conkyforecast_2.20.tar.gz

It would make a nice extension to conky IMO. Is there any reason, or
should I file a RFE for this on BZ?

Thanks,
Ranjan

Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/01/2011 07:51 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious why conkyforecast is not in the Fedora repos? The source
> is at http://www.mostlyslack.com/slackstuff/sources/conkyforecast_2.20.tar.gz
>
> It would make a nice extension to conky IMO. Is there any reason, or
> should I file a RFE for this on BZ?

You can't file a RFE for this. If any acceptable software is not
already in the repository, it is usually because noone has volunteered
to maintain it. If you are interested, you can learn to do so by following

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

I would be happy to help you get started. If you don't want to do this,
get a Fedora account and add it to the wishlist at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainers_wishlist

Rahul

Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Ranjan Maitra

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 09:37:22 -0500 Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/01/2011 07:51 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just curious why conkyforecast is not in the Fedora repos? The source
> > is at http://www.mostlyslack.com/slackstuff/sources/conkyforecast_2.20.tar.gz
> >
> > It would make a nice extension to conky IMO. Is there any reason, or
> > should I file a RFE for this on BZ?
>
> You can't file a RFE for this. If any acceptable software is not
> already in the repository, it is usually because noone has volunteered
> to maintain it. If you are interested, you can learn to do so by following
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
>
> I would be happy to help you get started.

Thanks for the offer: my only concern would be that this is a package
in python (unlike conky) and I do not know python.

> If you don't want to do this,
> get a Fedora account and add it to the wishlist at
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainers_wishlist

Thanks for this also.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/02/2011 07:08 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> Thanks for the offer: my only concern would be that this is a package
> in python (unlike conky) and I do not know python.

Talk to upstream. If they are responsive, the best practice would be to
get them to follow bug reports in Red Hat bugzilla which is possible to
do so for a single package via Fedora pkgdb and they can handle upstream
issues and you can handle packaging. Of course, it is useful for you to
know the language but not strictly necessary if you have a active and
cooperative upstream.

Rahul