-   -   More liive linuux distributions available (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/582098-more-liive-linuux-distributions-available.html)

Aaron Konstam 09-30-2011 06:32 PM

More liive linuux distributions available

I don't know when this happened but unetbootin-linux-555 is now
available. This allows dozens of live Linux distributions to be
downloaded onto a USB stick. The new version includes Fedora 15. The yum
available unetbootin does not allow this.

You can download it from:

http://www.unetbootin.sourceforge.net

This allowed me to download the latest Ubuntu version. I admit the
interface as at leas as weird as Gnome 3.

Ranjan Maitra 09-30-2011 06:51 PM

More liive linuux distributions available

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:32:59 -0500 Aaron Konstam
<akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I don't know when this happened but unetbootin-linux-555 is now
> available. This allows dozens of live Linux distributions to be
> downloaded onto a USB stick. The new version includes Fedora 15. The yum
> available unetbootin does not allow this.
>
> You can download it from:
>
> http://www.unetbootin.sourceforge.net

It does not? Mine does. However, what it does not (and from the
screenshots on the referred-to page still may not) provide is
downloading other spins from Fedora such as LXDE, XFCE and the like.

Ranjan

Andras Simon 09-30-2011 07:25 PM

2011/9/30, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu>:

> It does not? Mine does. However, what it does not (and from the
> screenshots on the referred-to page still may not) provide is
> downloading other spins from Fedora such as LXDE, XFCE and the like.

What prevents you from downloading them yourself? Does unetbootin only
work with the distributions it can download?

Andras

Carroll Grigsby 09-30-2011 07:52 PM

More liive linuux distributions available

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:32:59 -0500
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> snip

> This allowed me to download the latest Ubuntu version. I admit the
> interface as at leas as weird as Gnome 3.

If you like weird, take a look at Mandriva's KDE desktop. Their motto:
"You want stinkin' icons? We'll give you stinkin' icons!"

-- cmg

Aaron Konstam 09-30-2011 08:30 PM

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 13:51 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:32:59 -0500 Aaron Konstam
> <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > I don't know when this happened but unetbootin-linux-555 is now
> > available. This allows dozens of live Linux distributions to be
> > downloaded onto a USB stick. The new version includes Fedora 15. The yum
> > available unetbootin does not allow this.
> >
> > You can download it from:
> >
> > http://www.unetbootin.sourceforge.net
>
> It does not? Mine does. However, what it does not (and from the
> screenshots on the referred-to page still may not) provide is
> downloading other spins from Fedora such as LXDE, XFCE and the like.
>
> Ranjan

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am talking about being able to
download distributions. You are interested in DEs. If you want let us
say LXDE under F15 you install F15 with its default DE and then install
LXDE using yum.

I am completely confused by your line: It does not? Mine does.
What is yours and what does it do,

I also have to make and make a New Year's resolution. (After all today
is Jewish New Years) I need to better check my subject lines. It is
embarrassing.

Ranjan Maitra 09-30-2011 09:02 PM

More liive linuux distributions available

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:25:18 -0500 Andras Simon <szajmi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2011/9/30, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu>:
>
> > It does not? Mine does. However, what it does not (and from the
> > screenshots on the referred-to page still may not) provide is
> > downloading other spins from Fedora such as LXDE, XFCE and the like.
>
> What prevents you from downloading them yourself? Does unetbootin only
> work with the distributions it can download?

Nothing. Just noted that it did not. Felt it was strange given that
it does have xubuntu, ubuntu, kubuntu, edubuntu etc.

Joe Zeff 09-30-2011 10:35 PM

On 09/30/2011 01:30 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am talking about being able to
> download distributions. You are interested in DEs. If you want let us
> say LXDE under F15 you install F15 with its default DE and then install
> LXDE using yum.

Or, you can install from the DVD, customize and select whatever DE you
want and deselect Gnome.

Aaron Konstam 10-01-2011 01:34 PM

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 21:25 +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
> 2011/9/30, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu>:
>
> > It does not? Mine does. However, what it does not (and from the
> > screenshots on the referred-to page still may not) provide is
> > downloading other spins from Fedora such as LXDE, XFCE and the like.
>
> What prevents you from downloading them yourself? Does unetbootin only
> work with the distributions it can download?
>
> Andras

You can download them yourself if you know where to go. But here you can
chose between a large number of distributions in one place. Without
being snippy its obvious that it can only download the distributions it
can download. But if you try it you will find it can download most of
the distributions you would want to download.

Aaron Konstam 10-01-2011 01:43 PM

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 15:35 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/30/2011 01:30 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am talking about being able to
> > download distributions. You are interested in DEs. If you want let us
> > say LXDE under F15 you install F15 with its default DE and then install
> > LXDE using yum.
>
> Or, you can install from the DVD, customize and select whatever DE you
> want and deselect Gnome.

You can if you have all the relevant DVDs. I think ubootnetin is very
handy. I don't understand why I find all this hostility to this
software.

Andras Simon 10-01-2011 01:48 PM

2011/10/1, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>:
> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 21:25 +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
[...]
>> What prevents you from downloading them yourself? Does unetbootin only
>> work with the distributions it can download?
>>
>> Andras
>
> You can download them yourself if you know where to go. But here you can
> chose between a large number of distributions in one place. Without
> being snippy its obvious that it can only download the distributions it
> can download. But if you try it you will find it can download most of
> the distributions you would want to download.

unetbootin's purpose is "to create bootable Live USB drives"
(according to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/), not to download
dvds. If it can do that, too, great. If it can't, you can do that part
yourself. I don't think anybody was questioning whether "it can only