Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Frank Cox

Default video interference?

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:39:35 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor that show up
> on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and travel upward. It seems to come
> and go, and looks for all the world like electrical interference.

I think I might have solved this problem. I removed both ends of the video
cable (disconnected from the computer and the monitor) and then re-installed
it, and made damn sure it was good and tight on both ends.

That was about 3 hours ago and I haven't seen any interference since then. So
far so good, and all that.

Maybe that's all it needed. I'll see if it's still hanging together by morning.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 12:48 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> Plug the computer and the monitor into a different circuit.

While moving the whole lot onto a different circuit might be a useful
test, putting half a system on one and the rest on another, wouldn't be
such a good idea. Particularly if you have wiring faults.

I'd be inclined to think that the original fault is the sort of thing
commonly seen when appliances are connected together that are running on
different circuits. e.g. You plug your stereo amplifier into the
computer, and suddenly you get hum loops.

It's also indicative of a faulty power supply inside the monitor. You
could test this by changing screen modes, to one with a different
vertical refresh rate. If the noise bars, now, rapidly move through the
picture, that points the finger further in the direction on the monitor
being faulty.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.