Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Da Rock

Default WiFi LAN access, but not WAN access.

> To: fedora-list@redhat.com
> From: m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:48:05 +0000
> Subject: WiFi LAN access, but not WAN access.
>
> On FC8 with my dual boot laptop, in the process of testing
> wpa_supplicant with my Actiontec router, I had a situation
> in which I could ping within my LAN, but but not the WAN.
> Other boxes on my LAN, had no problem contacting the WAN.
> So I shut of the encryption, and made unencrypted WiFi
> contact. Still, I could contact the LAN but not the WAN.
> Then I made a wired Ethernet connection from the test
> laptop. In that case, everything worked for WAN and LAN.
> Then I went back to wireless. It all worked, with and
> without encryption.
>
> So I am living happily ever after, but I fear I may be in
> a fool's paradise. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

What is your dhcp settings for the wifi? Same as lan? Also check route settings- is the gateway correct for wifi? I had to set my dhclient to supersede gateway so that I had wan access on both lan and wlan.

Hope that helps- maybe. Any further info (inc. vague topology) and or config might help to work out your sit.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 AM
"Mike Morraye"

I had the same problem once.
I guess I corrected it by adding the correct DNS servers (from my isp)
*
I hope it works

*

Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Timothy Murphy

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On FC8 with my dual boot laptop, in the process of testing
> wpa_supplicant with my Actiontec router, I had a situation
> in which I could ping within my LAN, but but not the WAN.
> Other boxes on my LAN, had no problem contacting the WAN.
> So I shut of the encryption, and made unencrypted WiFi
> contact. Still, I could contact the LAN but not the WAN.
> Then I made a wired Ethernet connection from the test
> laptop. In that case, everything worked for WAN and LAN.
> Then I went back to wireless. It all worked, with and
> without encryption.
>
> So I am living happily ever after, but I fear I may be in
> a fool's paradise. Any suggestions?

I've had similar experiences.
I know wifi edits various files without telling you,
eg /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> .
That could explain your experience.

I think NetworkManager also stores information in a similar way,
though in a different location.

WiFi under Fedora is really very badly organized.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366