Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Frank Cox

Default F8 - change video card?

I was just thinking....

In the event that I have to change from the integrated Intel video chipset on
this motherboard and start using a separate video card to obtain DVI output,
will Fedora 8 automatically detect and make the necessary change?

If, for example, I put in an ATI card, will everything "just work", or will I
have to do a bunch of setup and changes? Since I don't really have a whole lot
of material on this computer yet (I haven't really finished setting it up
completely yet) perhaps it would be simplest to just to a complete reinstall?

Or will everything just keep on clicking along without any grief?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Jim Cornette

Frank Cox wrote:

I was just thinking....

In the event that I have to change from the integrated Intel video chipset on
this motherboard and start using a separate video card to obtain DVI output,
will Fedora 8 automatically detect and make the necessary change?

If, for example, I put in an ATI card, will everything "just work", or will I
have to do a bunch of setup and changes? Since I don't really have a whole lot
of material on this computer yet (I haven't really finished setting it up
completely yet) perhaps it would be simplest to just to a complete reinstall?

Or will everything just keep on clicking along without any grief?

When I change had disks from one computer to another, the video and
Ethernet both need reconfigured. I assume since you are just adding
another videocard, dropping to runlevel 3 and logging in as root and
running 'system-config-display --reconfig' should setup the videocard
properly for you.

Reinstalling the whole OS should not be needed.

Jim

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Henk Breimer

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:14:06 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> I was just thinking....
>
> In the event that I have to change from the integrated Intel video
> chipset on this motherboard and start using a separate video card to
> obtain DVI output, will Fedora 8 automatically detect and make the
> necessary change?
>
> If, for example, I put in an ATI card, will everything "just work",
> or will I have to do a bunch of setup and changes? Since I don't
> really have a whole lot of material on this computer yet (I haven't
> really finished setting it up completely yet) perhaps it would be
> simplest to just to a complete reinstall?
>
> Or will everything just keep on clicking along without any grief?

Look on Intel site for ADD2.
HP makes a PCI card for this technology.
The card gives dvi output from the intel integrated hardware
Have fun , Henk