Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Frank Cox

Default video interference?

I'm starting to think I have a different problem with this computer, that's not
operating-system related.

I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor that show up
on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and travel upward. It seems to come
and go, and looks for all the world like electrical interference. The lines are
very small, maybe 15 per inch, and are mostly visible on the top half of the
monitor. On a smaller monitor I might not even notice them, but on this 22"
wide screen monitor it's distracting.

I moved the computer further away from the monitor and changed its orientation
but that didn't change anything. I also tried plugging the monitor and
computer into different/separate electrical circuits and tried it without my UPS
as well.

Is there anything else I should be trying? I'm running out of ideas.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:00 PM
"Dick Seabrook"

[...]

I'm sure you've thought of this, but a routine check for overheating
wouldn't hurt -- power supply, chip* and case fans, etc.

Dick S.

--
Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College
http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs ~ Speed the Net!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Alex White

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:39:35 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> I'm starting to think I have a different problem with this
> computer, that's not operating-system related.
>
> I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor
> that show up on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and
> travel upward. It seems to come and go, and looks for all the
> world like electrical interference. The lines are very small,
> maybe 15 per inch, and are mostly visible on the top half of the
> monitor. On a smaller monitor I might not even notice them, but
> on this 22" wide screen monitor it's distracting.
>
> I moved the computer further away from the monitor and changed
> its orientation but that didn't change anything. I also tried
> plugging the monitor and computer into different/separate
> electrical circuits and tried it without my UPS as well.
>
> Is there anything else I should be trying? I'm running out of
> ideas.

Is this an intermittent problem? So you have an device like a cell
phone near the monitor? My Cingular phone does that to my monitor,
while my T-mobile phone for work does not.

Sorry I don't have more to offer in the way of advice.

HTH
--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:10:56 -0600
Alex White <ethericalzen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this an intermittent problem?

It seems to come and go. Someone else suggested that the problem is that I am
using analog VGA output and if I was to use digital the problem would likely go
away.

That sounds reasonable. This monitor supports DVI, and came with a cable for
it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a digital plug-in on the back of this
computer. I wonder if it supports that....

Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
William Case

Hi;

Man Oh Man. I was contemplating buying a new monitor until your posting
showed up. I have exactly the same problem. I started about 10 days
ago on a 5 year old 19" CRT Compaq V90 monitor that has never given me
problems before.

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:39 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm starting to think I have a different problem with this computer, that's not
> operating-system related.
>
> I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor that show up
> on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and travel upward. It seems to come
> and go, and looks for all the world like electrical interference. The lines are
> very small, maybe 15 per inch, and are mostly visible on the top half of the
> monitor. On a smaller monitor I might not even notice them, but on this 22"
> wide screen monitor it's distracting.
>
> I moved the computer further away from the monitor and changed its orientation
> but that didn't change anything. I also tried plugging the monitor and
> computer into different/separate electrical circuits and tried it without my UPS
> as well.
>
> Is there anything else I should be trying? I'm running out of ideas.

Your post has given me hope that I can adjust this problem.

Just to compare notes:

1) The interference lines (exactly as you describe) started about 10 -
14 days ago,
2) They appear in both Fedora 8 and WindowsXP (I have a dual boot)
3) They are accompanied by an interference noise coming from the monitor
-- but only when the screen is not blank (black)
4) I have tried to adjust the monitor buttons to no affect
5) I have looked for a new BIOS download for:
M2NPV-VM Asus motherboard
M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
Chipset: C51PV-MCP51, 06/21/2007
BIOS Type Award
BIOS size 512

I have only found a BIOS revision 1201 at the ASUS.com site and
I am not sure whether this is applicable or worth exploring
further.

6) I have not yet tried the monitor on a different machine that I have
here (Ubuntu)

Frank, if you have any additional suggestions I would appreciate hearing
them. A new good monitor would cost about $300 and if the problem is
elsewhere (like needing to update my BIOS) that would be a complete
waste of money.

--
Regards Bill

Old 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:10:39 -0500
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

> Frank, if you have any additional suggestions I would appreciate hearing
> them. A new good monitor would cost about $300 and if the problem is
> elsewhere (like needing to update my BIOS) that would be a complete
> waste of money.

Well, as I posted above, someone else told me that the problem is likely due to
the fact that I'm using analog VGA instead of DVI.

The interesting thing here is that the motherboard manual
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33fb/sb/d8343101_en.pdf
states ""DVI specification 1.0 compliant" which should mean that
it will work with DVI, but I don't see how to plug in and I don't see any
header listed on the board diagram.

I must be missing something.

With regard to your problem, here is a list of the things that I have tried
here so you can try them as well:

Plug the computer into a different circuit.

Plug the monitor into a different circuit.

Plug the computer and the monitor into a different circuit.

Move the computer further away from the monitor.

Re-orient the computer and the monitor. (If the sits horizontal to the
monitor, turn it so it's vertical, and vice-versa.)

Plug the computer and monitor directly into the line power and bypass your UPS
(if you have one).

Move the cables at the back of your computer to insure that they are separated
from each other. Turn them so they are at different angles and see if anything
changes.

That's pretty much what I've tried here.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:48:38 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> The interesting thing here is that the motherboard manual
> http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33fb/sb/d8343101_en.pdf
> states ""DVI specification 1.0 compliant" which should mean that
> it will work with DVI, but I don't see how to plug in and I don't see any
> header listed on the board diagram.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-013296.htm

I think this may be what I need.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:39 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm starting to think I have a different problem with this computer, that's not
> operating-system related.
>
> I occasionally have slowly-moving horizontal lines on my monitor that show up
> on the lighter coloured parts of my screen and travel upward. It seems to come
> and go, and looks for all the world like electrical interference. The lines are
> very small, maybe 15 per inch, and are mostly visible on the top half of the
> monitor. On a smaller monitor I might not even notice them, but on this 22"
> wide screen monitor it's distracting.
>
> I moved the computer further away from the monitor and changed its orientation
> but that didn't change anything. I also tried plugging the monitor and
> computer into different/separate electrical circuits and tried it without my UPS
> as well.
>
> Is there anything else I should be trying? I'm running out of ideas.

Maybe insert a video card, disable that onboard video and give your ram
back to the computer. Vram is supposed to be faster anyway(?). I'm still
running an older nVidia 5200, which probably goes for $20 nowadays, and
works just fine.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar