Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default Low level formatting -

Alan Cox wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:54:52 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

Low level what? If you mean low-level formatting, I don't think that's been
possible to do with hard drives since the days of RLL and MFM.

Correct (well the very earliest days of IDE), and it wouldn't affect
performance anyway.

I can remember people killing the early IDE drives by low-level
formatting. The tools for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives would
mess up the IDE drives. With later drives, they would ignore the
low-level formatting attempts.

Themain reason for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives was moving
them to a new controller, or changing the interleave - nether are
applicable to modern IDE/ATA drives. (It was easier to low-level
format then to tweak the controller data clock to match the old
controller.)

Mikkel

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:35 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I can remember people killing the early IDE drives by low-level
> formatting. The tools for low-level formatting MFM/RLL drives would
> mess up the IDE drives. With later drives, they would ignore the
> low-level formatting attempts.

Somewhere in the junk collection I have an old motherboard with a
surface mounted 386 CPU on it, 4 megs of RAM, and 16 MHz of
lightning-fast processing power! ;-)

Its BIOS has an option to low level format the IDE drive. I tried it
out on a knackered hard drive, and it did format that drive (in as much
as data was erased, the drive was blanked). After that, I did a high
level format, installed something to it, and it did work (so it didn't
kill the drive).

Though, I'd recommend against anyone low level formatting drives for the
same reasons you outline. It's a well known path to self destruction.
My little test was with junk that didn't need keeping.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Phil Clyde

Hello Tim.....

If you had a HD that has a MS product installed on it...

Note that when doing a lowlevel that you get addtional space?

and that the BLOCK sizes are different...also NOT on modern Drives

that you need to reset the MBR, the bios on you machine BY JUMPER

and resize the Hard drive....all of a sudden you get HD space back??

SAFE lowlevel is availaible for most drives on MFG websites...did
arround

WD, Seagate, and SCSI drives seem to have no problem with doing this

I run a Web host service and a small leased co-location server
opperation

and do this on a regular basis

Phil

Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Alan Cox

> Its BIOS has an option to low level format the IDE drive. I tried it
> out on a knackered hard drive, and it did format that drive (in as much
> as data was erased, the drive was blanked).

Generally IDE interprets a reformat as a zeroing of the media. The disk
itself controls the media so you can't really low level format it.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> Its BIOS has an option to low level format the IDE drive. I tried it
>> out on a knackered hard drive, and it did format that drive (in as much
>> as data was erased, the drive was blanked).

Alan Cox:
> Generally IDE interprets a reformat as a zeroing of the media. The disk
> itself controls the media so you can't really low level format it.

I have tried low level formatting more than one drive, in the dim and
distant past. Yes, some pretend to do something, but really do nothing.
This one seemed to do what I expected it to.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:18 -0800, Phil Clyde wrote:
> If you had a HD that has a MS product installed on it...
> Note that when doing a lowlevel that you get addtional space?

I can't remember details like that, it'd probably be ten year years ago,
or so, that I did that little test.