Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 AM
François Patte

Default how to unmount /var

Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Stuart Sears

François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I have done some mistakes while partitioning my HD and /var is too small.
>
> Fortunately, I use lvm... unfortunately I have to unmount /var before
> resizing and so many apps use /var....

why do you have to unmount it? If you are using LVM and ext2/3 you
should be able to do this online.

lvextend -L +<SIZE> /dev/volgroupname/var_volume

resize2fs /dev/volgroupname/var_volume

Regards,

Stuart Sears
--
Stuart Sears RHC*

Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM
"Jacques B."

On Feb 17, 2008 11:24 AM, François Patte
<francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

Have you considered booting from a live/recovery CD/DVD and resize it
from there? In that case it's definitely unmounted so addresses your
concerns of possible risks doing it live.

Jacques B.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:44 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> I have done some mistakes while partitioning my HD and /var is too small.
>
> Fortunately, I use lvm... unfortunately I have to unmount /var before
> resizing and so many apps use /var....
>
> What is the strategy to do this.

One option: Boot up in run-level 1, or single mode, and there will be
very little running. /var probably won't be mounted, and even if it is,
you could dismount it. Do your drive meddling in this mode, then switch
back to the normal run level (telinit 3 or 5), or reboot.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:58 PM
John Thompson

On 2008-02-17, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> I have done some mistakes while partitioning my HD and /var is too small.
>
> Fortunately, I use lvm... unfortunately I have to unmount /var before
> resizing and so many apps use /var....
>
> What is the strategy to do this.

Shutdown and boot from a live CD (e.g. "System Rescue CD"
http://www.sysresccd.org/) and do your repartitioning from there.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Old 02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Ed Greshko

François Patte wrote:

Le 17.02.2008 14:07, Stuart Sears a écrit :
| François Patte wrote:
|>
|> Bonjour,
|>
|> I have done some mistakes while partitioning my HD and /var is too
small.

|> Fortunately, I use lvm... unfortunately I have to unmount /var before
|> resizing and so many apps use /var....
|
| why do you have to unmount it? If you are using LVM and ext2/3 you
| should be able to do this online.
|
| lvextend -L +<SIZE> /dev/volgroupname/var_volume

thanks for this info
.

| resize2fs /dev/volgroupname/var_volume

It seems that it is dangerous to use this:

<lvm-howto>
Unless you have patched your kernel with the ext2online patch it is
necessary to unmount the file system before resizing it. (It seems that
the online resizing patch is rather dangerous, so use at your own risk)
</lvm-howto>

How can I be sure that fedora kernels are patched like this?

They are....assuming you're not running an ancient FC. And if you don't
like to use the command line, the GUI for resizing works just fine online,
all the time.

--
No one can guarantee the actions of another.
-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 AM
François Patte

Le 18.02.2008 01:28, Ed Greshko a écrit :
| François Patte wrote:

|> small.

|> |
|> | why do you have to unmount it? If you are using LVM and ext2/3 you
|> | should be able to do this online.
|> |
|> | lvextend -L +<SIZE> /dev/volgroupname/var_volume
|>
|> thanks for this info
|> .
|> |
|> | resize2fs /dev/volgroupname/var_volume
|>
|> It seems that it is dangerous to use this:
|>
|> <lvm-howto>
|> Unless you have patched your kernel with the ext2online patch it is
|> necessary to unmount the file system before resizing it. (It seems that
|> the online resizing patch is rather dangerous, so use at your own risk)
|> </lvm-howto>
|>
|> How can I be sure that fedora kernels are patched like this?
|>

| They are....assuming you're not running an ancient FC.

Last kernel in f8 seems to be: at least for one time, because I used it
without unmout, due to some impossibilty for me to unmount the /var
partition.... some mistake of mine.

| And if you don't
| like to use the command line, the GUI for resizing works just fine
| online, all the time.

You mean system-config-lvm? Works fine, yes, but will do absolutely
nothing if the partition you want to resize cannot be unmounted.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes