FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 AM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default pcmcia

I have this Linksys WPC11 wireless pcmcia card (Prism2) that I use with
my laptop under F8. It used to work fine in previous Fedora versions
(circa FC4), but not in F8. When I insert it, it doesn't make any sound.
The power light is on and steady, and the link line is on but blinking.

/sbin/pccardctl ident

does find it and so does lspcmcia.

I have

alias wlan0 orinoco_cs

in /etc/modprobe.conf, and lsmod shows

orinoco_cs
orinoco
hermes
hostap_cs


/sbin/ifconfig -a does report sit0, wifi0-00 and wlan0 besides eth0 and
lo.

However, when I try to configure and bring the card up from within
system-config-network it fails trying to determine the IP information.

I know this card should work with the wlan-ng drivers too, but
yum list | grep -i wlan

returned nothing. I noticed also there is no other pcmcia package besides
pcmciautils.

Could someone please shed some light here? Specifically

1) How is pcmcia being handled in F8? Is it somehow via udev?
2) Is there a linux-wlan-ng rpm for F8?
3) How do I diagnose the problem, step by step. Where should I look and
what should I see when I insert the card? It seems to me that the system
recognizes the card (both pcmcia and the network) but it can't talk to
the router.
4) What does it mean that the card does not beep when I insert it?

All the info I found on the web about this refers to earlier versions of
Fedora and pcmcia (which I believe it has been replaced with something
else in F8 of before).

Thanks.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default pcmcia

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> I have this Linksys WPC11 wireless pcmcia card (Prism2) that I use with
> my laptop under F8. It used to work fine in previous Fedora versions
> (circa FC4), but not in F8. When I insert it, it doesn't make any sound.
> The power light is on and steady, and the link line is on but blinking.
>
> /sbin/pccardctl ident
>
> does find it and so does lspcmcia.
>
> I have
>
> alias wlan0 orinoco_cs
>
> in /etc/modprobe.conf, and lsmod shows
>
> orinoco_cs
> orinoco
> hermes
> hostap_cs
>
>
> /sbin/ifconfig -a does report sit0, wifi0-00 and wlan0 besides eth0 and
> lo.
>
> However, when I try to configure and bring the card up from within
> system-config-network it fails trying to determine the IP information.

To me that sounds more like a dhcp problem.
What does /var/log/messages say on the subject?
And does the access point or machine you are trying to connect to
get any DHCPREQUESTs

Also, does ifconfig see the card?
And are you running NetworkManager or not?


--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default pcmcia

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:59:30 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>
>> I have this Linksys WPC11 wireless pcmcia card (Prism2) that I use with
>> my laptop under F8. It used to work fine in previous Fedora versions
>> (circa FC4), but not in F8. When I insert it, it doesn't make any
>> sound. The power light is on and steady, and the link line is on but
>> blinking.
>>
>> /sbin/pccardctl ident
>>
>> does find it and so does lspcmcia.
>>
>> I have
>>
>> alias wlan0 orinoco_cs
>>
>> in /etc/modprobe.conf, and lsmod shows
>>
>> orinoco_cs
>> orinoco
>> hermes
>> hostap_cs
>>
>>
>> /sbin/ifconfig -a does report sit0, wifi0-00 and wlan0 besides eth0 and
>> lo.
>>
>> However, when I try to configure and bring the card up from within
>> system-config-network it fails trying to determine the IP information.
>
> To me that sounds more like a dhcp problem. What does /var/log/messages
> say on the subject? And does the access point or machine you are trying
> to connect to get any DHCPREQUESTs
>
> Also, does ifconfig see the card?
> And are you running NetworkManager or not?
>
>
> --


This is what /var/log/messages says when I insert the card:

Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: hostap_cs: index 0x01: , irq 3, io
0x3080-0x30bf
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: NIC: id=0x801b v1.0.0
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.2
Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: Warning: secondary station firmware
version 1.4.2 does not seem to work in Host AP mode

Then

[root@zeus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
[root@zeus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
[FAILED]


and finally this is what follows in /var/log/messages (during my network
restart):

Feb 17 13:56:45 zeus system-config-network[17253]: -+ //etc/modprobe.conf #011eth0 alias 3c59x
Feb 17 13:56:46 zeus system-config-network[17253]: chmod 0644 //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
Feb 17 13:56:46 zeus system-config-network[17253]: chmod 0644 //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus dhclient: wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus dhclient: wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Feb 17 13:56:55 zeus avahi-daemon[2173]: Registering new address record for fe80::206:25ff:fe2c:5051 on wlan0.*.
Feb 17 13:57:00 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
Feb 17 13:57:11 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
Feb 17 13:57:24 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
Feb 17 13:57:39 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface #13 lo, ::1#123 Enabled
Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface #14 wlan0, fe80::206:25ff:fe2c:5051#123 Enabled
Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface #15 lo, 127.0.0.1#123 Enabled
Feb 17 13:57:55 zeus dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.


So yes, it looks like a dhcp problem. I'm not sure pcmcia works ok to begin with.
The "wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801" can't be good.


More info:

[root@zeus ~]# /sbin/pccardctl ident
Socket 0:
product info: "The Linksys Group, Inc.", "Instant Wireless Network PC Card", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
manfid: 0x0274, 0x1613
function: 0x6 (network), 9

[root@zeus ~]# /sbin/lspcmcia -v
Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:02:04.0)
Configuration: state: on ready: yes
Voltage: 5.0V Vcc: 5.0V Vpp: 0.0V
Socket 0 Device 0: [hostap_cs] (bus ID: 0.0)
Configuration: state: on
Product Name: The Linksys Group, Inc. Instant Wireless Network PC Card ISL37300P RevA
Identification: manf_id: 0x0274 card_id: 0x1613
function: 6 (network)
prod_id(1): "The Linksys Group, Inc." (0xa5f472c2)
prod_id(2): "Instant Wireless Network PC Card" (0x590eb502)
prod_id(3): "ISL37300P" (0xc9049a39)
prod_id(4): "RevA" (0x57a66194)



Thanks for any suggestions.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default pcmcia

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

>>> I have
>>>
>>> alias wlan0 orinoco_cs
>>>
>>> in /etc/modprobe.conf, and lsmod shows
>>>
>>> orinoco_cs
>>> orinoco
>>> hermes
>>> hostap_cs
>>>
>>>
>>> /sbin/ifconfig -a does report sit0, wifi0-00 and wlan0 besides eth0 and
>>> lo.
>>>
>>> However, when I try to configure and bring the card up from within
>>> system-config-network it fails trying to determine the IP information.
>>
>> To me that sounds more like a dhcp problem. What does /var/log/messages
>> say on the subject? And does the access point or machine you are trying
>> to connect to get any DHCPREQUESTs
>>
>> Also, does ifconfig see the card?
>> And are you running NetworkManager or not?
>>
>>
>> --
>
>
> This is what /var/log/messages says when I insert the card:
>
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: hostap_cs: index 0x01: , irq 3, io
> 0x3080-0x30bf
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: NIC: id=0x801b v1.0.0
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.2
> Feb 17 13:54:19 zeus kernel: wifi0: Warning: secondary station firmware
> version 1.4.2 does not seem to work in Host AP mode
>
> Then
>
> [root@zeus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
> Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
> [root@zeus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start
> Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
> Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06)
> :
> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
>
> Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> [FAILED]
>
>
> and finally this is what follows in /var/log/messages (during my network
> restart):
>
> Feb 17 13:56:45 zeus system-config-network[17253]: -+ //etc/modprobe.conf
> #011eth0 alias 3c59x Feb 17 13:56:46 zeus system-config-network[17253]:
> chmod 0644 //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0 Feb 17 13:56:46
> zeus system-config-network[17253]: chmod 0644
> //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus
> dhclient: wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus
> dhclient: wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801 Feb 17 13:56:54 zeus
> dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6 Feb
> 17 13:56:55 zeus avahi-daemon[2173]: Registering new address record for
> fe80::206:25ff:fe2c:5051 on wlan0.*. Feb 17 13:57:00 zeus dhclient:
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11 Feb 17
> 13:57:11 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> interval 13 Feb 17 13:57:24 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
> 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15 Feb 17 13:57:39 zeus dhclient:
> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8 Feb 17
> 13:57:47 zeus dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> interval 8 Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface #13 lo,
> ::1#123 Enabled Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface
> #14 wlan0, fe80::206:25ff:fe2c:5051#123 Enabled Feb 17 13:57:47 zeus
> ntpd[2030]: Listening on interface #15 lo, 127.0.0.1#123 Enabled Feb 17
> 13:57:55 zeus dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.
>
>
> So yes, it looks like a dhcp problem. I'm not sure pcmcia works ok to
> begin with. The "wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801" can't be good.

I should say I am no expert.
But there seems to me to be some confusion about the interface -
wifi0 or wlan0 - and also the driver -hostap_cs or orinoco_cs .

But as far as I can see, orinoco_cs/wlan0 does send out a request
DHCPDISCOVER, but doesn't get any response.
For what it is worth, this is what I got recently:
Jan 20 04:00:17 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER
on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Jan 20 04:00:17 localhost dhclient: DHCPOFFER from 192.168.2.1

If it were me - but I repeat that I am no expert -
I would look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
and see if the entries are reasonable.

Also, I'd look at the computer running dhcpd
that you are trying to connect to,
and see if there was any acknowledgement.

Finally, I've never understood the naming of interfaces,
but my impression is that orinoco_cs prefers to work with eth0, eth1, etc.
But that may be a misunderstanding.

Incidentally, what does "sudo iwlist scan" say?


--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org