Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
"Ian Malone"

Default truetype fonts in tetex, pdftex, pdflatex

Hi,

I know a few people here use LaTeX, does anyone know
an easy way of getting truetype fonts working with LaTex
in Fedora? I've found several guides online but they
require packages like ttf2tfm and ttf2pt1 which are either
no longer available for Fedora or never were.

--
imalone

Old 02-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Ian Malone

François Patte wrote:

Le 16.02.2008 18:25, Ian Malone a écrit :
| Hi,
|
| I know a few people here use LaTeX, does anyone know
| an easy way of getting truetype fonts working with LaTex
| in Fedora? I've found several guides online but they
| require packages like ttf2tfm and ttf2pt1 which are either
| no longer available for Fedora or never were.

What you want is xe(la)tex which is available in TeXLive.

Up release 8 fedora TeX packages were tetex which died a few years ago.
I have seen thet TeXLive will replace tetex in fedora 9.

fedora 9 alpha was published a few weeks ago, you could try if TeXLive
from this release can be installed under fedora 8. I will try it soon,
but I have to check a lot of things before, because I am too much
"TeX-dependant".

Thanks for that, it looks like I'll need to be a bit patient then.
(It appears ttf2afm is in tetex-afm, but there's little detail on
generating the maps.)

--
imalone

Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 11:40 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> François Patte wrote:
> >
> > Le 16.02.2008 18:25, Ian Malone a écrit :
> > | Hi,
> > |
> > | I know a few people here use LaTeX, does anyone know
> > | an easy way of getting truetype fonts working with LaTex
> > | in Fedora? I've found several guides online but they
> > | require packages like ttf2tfm and ttf2pt1 which are either
> > | no longer available for Fedora or never were.
> > |

> > What you want is xe(la)tex which is available in TeXLive.
> >
> > Up release 8 fedora TeX packages were tetex which died a few years ago.
> > I have seen thet TeXLive will replace tetex in fedora 9.
> >
> > fedora 9 alpha was published a few weeks ago, you could try if TeXLive
> > from this release can be installed under fedora 8. I will try it soon,
> > but I have to check a lot of things before, because I am too much
> > "TeX-dependant".
> >

> Thanks for that, it looks like I'll need to be a bit patient then.
> (It appears ttf2afm is in tetex-afm, but there's little detail on
> generating the maps.)

I have the development repo TeXLive installed in F8 and it seems to work
well so far (though I haven't stressed it heavily yet).

I started with the F8 texlive repo at

[texlive]
name=TeXLive 2007 for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/texlive/$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

I believe yum install texlive will obsolete all the core tetex packages.

Then remove that repo and update from the development repo. (The F8
repo isn't being updated.)

One dependency bug causes the latest tetex-dvi to obsolete its
replacement xdvik in Rawhide. You can either let that go or ignore
tetex-dvi in your regular updates.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Ian Malone

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

I have the development repo TeXLive installed in F8 and it seems to work
well so far (though I haven't stressed it heavily yet).

I started with the F8 texlive repo at

[texlive]
name=TeXLive 2007 for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/texlive/$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

I believe yum install texlive will obsolete all the core tetex packages.

Then remove that repo and update from the development repo. (The F8
repo isn't being updated.)

One dependency bug causes the latest tetex-dvi to obsolete its
replacement xdvik in Rawhide. You can either let that go or ignore
tetex-dvi in your regular updates.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does microtype work in texlive?
It produces broken output for me on FC6 and F8 tetex, but
Debian Etch seems to work.

--
imalone

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 17:35 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. Does microtype work in texlive?
> It produces broken output for me on FC6 and F8 tetex, but
> Debian Etch seems to work.

Can't say I've tried it, sorry.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 PM
"Ian Malone"

On 17/02/2008, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> Le 17.02.2008 18:35, Ian Malone a écrit :
> | Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> |
> |> I have the development repo TeXLive installed in F8 and it seems to work
> |> well so far (though I haven't stressed it heavily yet).
> |>

> | Thanks for the suggestions. Does microtype work in texlive?

> microtype with which options? For I have no problem under tetex-f8.

Oops, sorry, F8 works okay. I've been messing about with
TeX so much this weekend that I forgot what I'd tried on which
machine.

Thanks again to you both for your advice.

--
imalone

Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
"Ian Malone"

On 17/02/2008, Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/2008, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> > | Thanks for the suggestions. Does microtype work in texlive?
>
> > microtype with which options? For I have no problem under tetex-f8.
> >

> Oops, sorry, F8 works okay. I've been messing about with
> TeX so much this weekend that I forgot what I'd tried on which
> machine.
>
> Thanks again to you both for your advice.

It seems I wasn't entirely wrong; this happens when you use LyX,
as it includes a usepackage[T1]{fontenc} which messes up font
expansion. The work-around appears to be avoiding cm (using
super-cm, cm-lgc or another font such as lmodern).

--
imalone

Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 AM
"Paul Johnson"

> > Oops, sorry, F8 works okay. I've been messing about with
> > TeX so much this weekend that I forgot what I'd tried on which
> > machine.
> >
> > Thanks again to you both for your advice.
> >

> It seems I wasn't entirely wrong; this happens when you use LyX,
> as it includes a usepackage[T1]{fontenc} which messes up font
> expansion. The work-around appears to be avoiding cm (using
> super-cm, cm-lgc or another font such as lmodern).

I had installed the TexLive testing version and it processed many
documents correctly, but I uninstalled it after several LyX documents
failed.

Can you tell me what you mean about avoiding "cm"? How? What do you
mean? What is super-cm? I've sometimes inserted this in the preamble
because it is supposed to avoid the "bad fonts in pdf output"

usepackage{lmodern}

But this did not change the weird output I was getting from TexLive.

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Ian Malone

Paul Johnson wrote:

[...]

cm-super:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/

(Similarly cm-lgc, which is available as a Fedora RPM, but
is scaled to different weights.)

I'm not very familiar with what's going on here, but it
seems the TeX fonts (basically CM) internally use an odd
encoding scheme (i.e. not ASCII or similar). This means
there is potential for confusion when packages work with
glyphs, especially when two or more are trying to do so.
Mappings are meant to address this but, for example, the
usepackage[T1]{fontenc} above instructs it to use a
different encoding (to get easier support for accented
characters I think). One of the things cm-super is meant
to do is fix this by using a more standard encoding, as
fonts like lmodern do.

For LyX you could try exporting plain LaTeX to find out
what it's doing that's upsetting TeXLive. The LyX
mailing lists are usually quite active too.

--
imalone