-   -   Confused with UEFI, GPT, SSD, grub, et. al. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/571885-confused-uefi-gpt-ssd-grub-et-al.html)

Tom Horsley 09-05-2011 12:38 AM

Confused with UEFI, GPT, SSD, grub, et. al.

So, my old system died, and in a typical overkill fashion,
I decided to put a new one together with all the latest
and greatest hardware.

The motherboard I ordered (ASUS P8H67-V rev 3) has a UEFI
bios, and support for sata 6G/s drives. Continuing the
overkill theme, I also ordered a SSD disk that talks
sata 6G/s.

Some web pages I have consulted on SSD drives say it
is simpler to partition them on the "right" erase block
boundaries using the GPT partitioning scheme.

So, if I do all that, what is the process like to get
fedora 15 installed on such a drive? Fedora 15 hasn't
gone to grub2, so I don't know if the f15 grub understands
and new magical uefi style boot procedure (I know I
certainly don't, I merely hear vague things about it :-).

Am I better off not trying to understand anything and
just letting anaconda figure it all out? Will it do
a good job with the SSD disk without manual intervention?

Michael Cronenworth 09-05-2011 02:04 AM

On 09/04/2011 07:38 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> So, if I do all that, what is the process like to get
> fedora 15 installed on such a drive? Fedora 15 hasn't
> gone to grub2, so I don't know if the f15 grub understands
> and new magical uefi style boot procedure (I know I
> certainly don't, I merely hear vague things about it:-).

Install Fedora 15 normally.

> Am I better off not trying to understand anything and
> just letting anaconda figure it all out? Will it do
> a good job with the SSD disk without manual intervention?

Anaconda will not have any alignment issues. They were solved several
releases ago.

P.S. Fedora 16 will use grub legacy for UEFI/GPT as grub2 has
outstanding bugs with it.

Tom Horsley 09-05-2011 02:19 AM

Confused with UEFI, GPT, SSD, grub, et. al.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 21:04:19 -0500
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Anaconda will not have any alignment issues. They were solved several
> releases ago.

Thanks for the info. I'm always tempted to overthink things
(especially when I'm waiting for parts to arrive and have
time on my hands to make complicated plans :-).

The next interesting thing will be to see how well
the sandy bridge "Intel HD 3000" graphics work
(though I have a GeForce card to fall back on if
the native intel graphics don't function, but I
have seen posts saying in fedora 15 graphics is
pretty functional).