Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM
jackson byers

Default iMac on my Lan can't see my printer connected via usb to my linux box

years ago, I had no trouble printing from a Mac on my lan
to printer connected to my linux box.

now, I can't seem to do it.

linux box
F14 using NetworkManager
static ip 192.168.2.8

iMac dhcp 192.168.2.100

again, years ago I sometimes added to the cupsd.conf:
ServerName 192.168.2.8,
which enabled other computers on the lan to print.

Since then I haven't tried to modify cupsd.conf--
it seems the modern version is far more complex.
Maybe not even intended that users should
directly modify it?

in a related recent thread, Tim Waugh responded
> The default firewall in Fedora disallows CUPS Browsing.
> to enable it,
> start 'system-config-firewall' and set the checkbox for "Network
> Printing Client (IPP)".

> Tim.
> */

I tried this,
I think followed by
# /sbin/service cups restart

but the iMac still can't see the printer

My F14 /etc/hosts has only the two localhost lines.
Do I need more here?
More on the iMac?

thanks for advice
Jack