Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Vinny Onelli

Default How to change from gnome to KDE and back?

Hello,
I would like to try KDE But I don't want to reinstall f14. Is there way
to switch to KDE and then back to gnome? I did select the KDE also
during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM
"Peter Reed @ gmail"

> Hello,
> I would like to try KDE But I don't want to reinstall f14. Is there way
> to switch to KDE and then back to gnome? I did select the KDE also
> during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.

su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
then look in the drop down menu in the login screen.
Peter

Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Vinny Onelli

> > Hello,
> > I would like to try KDE But I don't want to reinstall f14. Is there way
> > to switch to KDE and then back to gnome? I did select the KDE also
> > during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.
>
> su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
> then look in the drop down menu in the login screen.
> Peter

I execute the line by copy it in the terminal went through several line and
end with nothing to do Here is the result. I do not have a drop down
menu on my login screen.

[Vinny@Lab2 ~]$ su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
Password:
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
Setting up Install Process
Package kdebase-workspace-4.6.5-5.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package kdebase-runtime-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 6:kdelibs-4.6.5-2.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package kdm-4.6.5-5.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-apps-7.4-14.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package dejavu-serif-fonts-2.32-1.fc14.noarch already installed and
latest version
Package 1:kde-plasma-networkmanagement-0.9-0.41.2.20110812git.fc14.i686
already installed and latest version
Package digikam-1.9.0-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package kaffeine-1.2.2-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package dejavu-sans-mono-fonts-2.32-1.fc14.noarch already installed and
latest version
Package amarok-2.4.3-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package 7:system-config-printer-kde-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed
and latest version
Package xsettings-kde-0.12-3.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package konversation-1.3.1-2.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 1:kdeaccessibility-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and
latest version
Package 6:kdemultimedia-4.6.5-2.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package qtcurve-gtk2-1.8.5-4.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package kipi-plugins-1.9.0-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package kcm_touchpad-0.3.1-6.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 6:kdeutils-printer-applet-4.6.5-2.fc14.i686 already installed
and latest version
Package 7:kdepim-4.4.11.1-4.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package qtcurve-kde4-1.8.4-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 6:kdebase-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package cups-pk-helper-0.0.4-13.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package xterm-261-2.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package kpackagekit-0.6.3.3-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 6:kdegames-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package 6:kdeutils-4.6.5-2.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package ktorrent-4.1.1-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package 2honon-backend-gstreamer-4.5.1-1.fc14.i686 already installed
and latest version
Package kcm-gtk-0.5.3-7.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package phonon-backend-xine-4.4.4-3.fc14.i686 already installed and
latest version
Package 7:kdenetwork-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package kdeplasma-addons-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package scribus-1.3.9-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package ksshaskpass-0.5.3-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package dejavu-sans-fonts-2.32-1.fc14.noarch already installed and
latest version
Package 7:kdegraphics-4.6.5-3.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package plasma-scriptengine-python-4.6.5-5.fc14.i686 already installed
and latest version
Package konq-plugins-4.6.1-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package kdeartwork-screensavers-4.6.5-1.fc14.i686 already installed and
latest version
Package kde-settings-pulseaudio-4.5-11.fc14.noarch already installed and
latest version
Package pinentry-qt-0.8.1-4.fc14.i686 already installed and latest
version
Package ibus-qt-1.3.1-3.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
Package gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.26-1.fc14.i686 already installed and
latest version
Nothing to do
[Vinny@Lab2 ~]$

Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 AM
Peter Gueckel

Vinny Onelli wrote:

> I did select the KDE also
> during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.

You have all of KDE already installed. Simply log out and select KDE on the
kdm selector and log back in. gdm should also give you that option.

If it doesn't work, then try this:

edit or create the file /etc/sysconfig/dekstop and have only these lines in
it:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

Make sure to run:

restorecon -v '/etc/sysconfig/desktop'

after editing, so that there will be no problems with selinux. Both editing
the file and running restorecon must be done as root.

What this file does is to switch your system from using gdm to using kdm.

Then, also make sure you have this file in /home/yourusername/.dmrc. It
contains only these lines:

[Desktop]
Session=default

Since this is in your directory, you don't need to be root to edit the file.

Now, reboot the system and allow it to use kdm to log in. You will see a
selector that allows you to choose kde or gnome.

To return back to your former setup, reverse these changes.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Vinny Onelli <vonelli@verizon.net> wrote:
>> > I would like to try KDE But I don't want to reinstall f14. Is there way
>> > to switch to KDE and then back to gnome? I did select the KDE also
>> > during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.
>>
>> su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
>> then look in the drop down menu in the login screen.
>> Peter
>>
> I execute the line by copy it in the terminal went through several line and
> end with nothing to do Here is the result.

Ok, this means that all of KDE is already installed on your machine.

> I do not have a drop down
> menu on my login screen.

Oh yes, you do, it is just invisible. :-) You need to type in your
username first (or select it from a list, depending on your
configuration), and *only* *then* look for the drop-down menu. IIRC,
it should be called "session" or something. You can choose there
between KDE, Gnome, and maybe a few others... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
"Peter Reed @ gmail"

> > > Hello,
> > > I would like to try KDE But I don't want to reinstall f14. Is there way
> > > to switch to KDE and then back to gnome? I did select the KDE also
> > > during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.
> >
> > su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
> > then look in the drop down menu in the login screen.
> > Peter
>
> I execute the line by copy it in the terminal went through several line and
> end with nothing to do Here is the result. I do not have a drop down
> menu on my login screen.
>
> [Vinny@Lab2 ~]$ su -c "yum install @kde-desktop"
> Password:
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding en_US to language list
> Setting up Install Process

snip
> Nothing to do
> [Vinny@Lab2 ~]$
Yes my mistake after I sent the email I noticed that you had already installed
kde. So just make sure your user name is visible at the login screen and you
should be able to choose kde plasmaworkspace from the drop down menu.
Peter

Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Vinny Onelli

> Vinny Onelli wrote:
>
> > I did select the KDE also
> > during the installation. at the present time I have gnome running.
>
> You have all of KDE already installed. Simply log out and select KDE on the
> kdm selector and log back in. gdm should also give you that option.
>
> If it doesn't work, then try this:
>
> edit or create the file /etc/sysconfig/dekstop and have only these lines in
> it:
>
> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> Make sure to run:
>
> restorecon -v '/etc/sysconfig/desktop'
>
> after editing, so that there will be no problems with selinux. Both editing
> the file and running restorecon must be done as root.
>
> What this file does is to switch your system from using gdm to using kdm.
>
> Then, also make sure you have this file in /home/yourusername/.dmrc. It
> contains only these lines:
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=default
>
> Since this is in your directory, you don't need to be root to edit the file.
>
> Now, reboot the system and allow it to use kdm to log in. You will see a
> selector that allows you to choose kde or gnome.
>
> To return back to your former setup, reverse these changes.

Thank you very much, the direction were perfect and every thing worked.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Peter Gueckel

Vinny Onelli wrote:

> Thank you very much, the direction were perfect and every thing worked.

Happy to help.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 06/09/11 19:14, Peter Gueckel wrote:
> Vinny Onelli wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much, the direction were perfect and every thing worked.
>
> Happy to help.

Here's hoping you enjoy KDE, it's what I use.