Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 PM
xinyou yan

Default dd

I want to make sure one thing .
Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
can't make the file into the tar file .

Can zip do this work ?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Jorge Fbregas

On 09/03/2011 08:36 AM, xinyou yan wrote:
> I want to make sure one thing .
> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.

Yes.

> I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
> can't make the file into the tar file .

The -r switch is to "append" to an existing tar file. If the tar
archive doesn't exist it should create the tar file anyway. What
error are you getting? What's the size of yyy.dd?

> Can zip do this work ?

Yes, you can use "zip' as an archiver (not just as a compressor) but I
remember there were some size limitations a while ago (verify that).

HTH,
Jorge

Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Chris Tyler

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:36 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> I want to make sure one thing .
> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
> I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
> can't make the file into the tar file .

It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.

I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
"dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
partition).

If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz

If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
option:
mkdir /tmp/yyy
mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
cd /tmp
tar cvf xx.tar yyy

-Chris

Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
xinyou yan

2011/9/3 Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info>:
> On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:36 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
>> I want to make sure one thing .
>> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
>> I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
>> can't make the file into the tar file .
>
> It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.
>
> I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
> "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
> partition).
>
> If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
> gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz

I want it be compressed by gzip,
and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file (-r)

> If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
> dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
> option:
> mkdir /tmp/yyy
> mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
> cd /tmp
> tar cvf xx.tar yyy

That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
I wonder . why must tar the yyy (directory)

you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?

What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .

thank you .

You mail help me understand more

Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Joachim Backes

Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
can't make the file into the tar file .

It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.

I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
"dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
partition).

If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz

Better: sudo dd if=/dev/sda2|gzip - > yyy.dd.gz

(does not need any file yyy.dd!)

-Chris

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 22:08 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> 2011/9/3 Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info>:
> > On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:36 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> >> I want to make sure one thing .
> >> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
> >> I found use tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
> >> can't make the file into the tar file .
> >
> > It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.
> >
> > I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
> > "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
> > partition).
> >
> > If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
> > gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz
> >

> I want it be compressed by gzip,
> and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
> Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file (-r)
>
> > If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
> > dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
> > option:
> > mkdir /tmp/yyy
> > mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
> > cd /tmp
> > tar cvf xx.tar yyy
>
> That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
> I wonder . why must tar the yyy (directory)
>
> you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?
>

> What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .
>
> thank you .
>
> You mail help me understand more

I am not sure what you want to do,, but if you have a gziped tar file
and you want to add another file to it this should work:
If your archive is archive.tgz
Uncompress archive: gunzip archive.tgz
Add a another file : tar -rf archive.tar second_file
Compress the archive: gzip archive.tar
This will recreate a new archive.gz file with the second file added.
and so on.

This procesws could be automates by a bash script.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 AM
xinyou yan

2011/9/4 Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>:
> On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 22:08 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
>> >
>> > It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.
>> >
>> > I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
>> > "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
>> > partition).
>> >
>> > If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
>> > gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz
>> >

>> I want it be compressed by gzip,
>> and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
>> Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file (-r)
>>
>> > If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
>> > dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
>> > option:
>> > mkdir /tmp/yyy
>> > mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
>> > cd /tmp
>> > tar cvf xx.tar yyy
>>
>> That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
>> I wonder . why must tar the yyy (directory)
>>
>> you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?
>>

>> What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .
>>
>> thank you .
>>
>> You mail help me understand more
>>
> I am not sure what you want to do,, but if you have a gziped tar file
> and you want to add another file to it this should work:
> If your archive is archive.tgz
> Uncompress archive: gunzip archive.tgz
> Add a another file : tar -rf archive.tar second_file
> Compress the archive: gzip archive.tar

Yes it can achieve my work,
However , I just can't undestand , tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd to a regular
file tar ( can 't add the size)
And When i tar -xf xx.tar. It will give a error message : tar:
Unexpected EOF in archive

> This will recreate a new archive.gz file with the second file added.
By the way ,it will take many times to do it.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 15:49 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> 2011/9/4 Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net>:

> >> I want it be compressed by gzip,
> >> and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
> >> Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file (-r)

> >> That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
> >> I wonder . why must tar the yyy (directory)
> >>
> >> you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?
> >>

> >> What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .
> >>
> >> thank you .
> >>
> >> You mail help me understand more
> >>
> > I am not sure what you want to do,, but if you have a gziped tar file
> > and you want to add another file to it this should work:
> > If your archive is archive.tgz
> > Uncompress archive: gunzip archive.tgz
> > Add a another file : tar -rf archive.tar second_file
> > Compress the archive: gzip archive.tar
>
> Yes it can achieve my work,
> However , I just can't undestand , tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd to a regular
> file tar ( can 't add the size)
> And When i tar -xf xx.tar. It will give a error message : tar:
> Unexpected EOF in archive
>
> > This will recreate a new archive.gz file with the second file added.
> By the way ,it will take many times to do it.
>
> > and so on.
> >
> > This procesws could be automates by a bash script.
I am not sure what the problem is.
The following works for me:
tar cf archive.tar first
tar -rf archive.tar second

This produces a file that when one runs:
tar xf archive.tar
produces the files first and second in the directory.

And as I said is that the complexity of the process can be reduced by
creating a shell script with the new file name as the argument and
resulting in the archive.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:53 PM
xinyou yan

> I am not sure what the problem is.
> The following works for me:
> tar cf archive.tar first
> tar -rf archive.tar second
Yes it can , But tar czf tar rzf can't work
Second :

if I use
gzip -c file1 >> yyy.test
How can I unpress yyy.test to file1 as file1
I test like it
gzip -c test1 > 1.test
We can use

gunzip -c 1.test >test1

to achieve my answer .
However :
gzip -c test1 >> 1.test
gzip -c test2 >> 1.test

I just gunzip -c 1.test > test1 (the size of test1 now is the sum
test1 and test2 before)

How can i use gunzip to separate the two file ?
I wonder >> can remember there are two file ?

> This produces a file that when one runs:
> tar xf archive.tar
> produces the files first and second in the directory.
>
> And as I said is that the complexity of the process can be reduced by
> creating a shell script with the new file name as the argument and
> resulting in the archive.

Yes I agree
Thank you

Old 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Genes MailLists

On 09/04/2011 10:53 AM, xinyou yan wrote:
>> I am not sure what the problem is.
>> The following works for me:
>> tar cf archive.tar first
>> tar -rf archive.tar second
> Yes it can , But tar czf tar rzf can't work
> Second :

For what its worth tar understands gzip/bzip2 tar files automatically
... you can see this

touch foo1 foo2
tar cjf foo.tbz foo1 foo2 # creates a bzip'd tar file

tar tf foo.tbz # lists contents no 'j' flag needed