Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Tom Horsley

Default Good hardware compatibility info?

Since my computer died, I'm looking at building a brand
new system, and I wonder about all the fancy new stuff
available in the hardware and linux support (fedora
in particular). Other than beating my head against google,
is there a good resource for researching this stuff?

I'm wondering about things like USB 3.0, sata 3.0,
UEFI BIOS, Sandy Bridge, i7 processors, Intel HD 3000
graphics, etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Hiisi

On 2 September 2011 16:40, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since my computer died, I'm looking at building a brand
> new system, and I wonder about all the fancy new stuff
> available in the hardware and linux support (fedora
> in particular). Other than beating my head against google,
> is there a good resource for researching this stuff?
>
> I'm wondering about things like USB 3.0, sata 3.0,
> UEFI BIOS, Sandy Bridge, i7 processors, Intel HD 3000
> graphics, etc.

Before making your final choose consult fedoraproject smolt page [1]
and search for desired hardware. After making a fresh install I always
submit my smolt profile. And many do the same.
REFERENCES:
1. http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/
HTH
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Stefan Held

Am Freitag, den 02.09.2011, 12:40 -0400 schrieb Tom Horsley:

> I'm wondering about things like USB 3.0, sata 3.0,
> UEFI BIOS, Sandy Bridge, i7 processors, Intel HD 3000
> graphics, etc.

I am writing you this at the keyboard of a Asus Crosshair Formula V
Mainboard. It has all the fancy stuff like UEFI, SATA3, USB3.
For Fedora 15, the only noticeable problem is during the install
(DVD-Install) because the USB3 Module gets not loaded.

Doing a Live Image install is the better option here.

Everything else works like a charm. Even the AMD Sata Raid is detected
without problems. Sensors work. ALC889 SPDIF Out is detected on the fly,
after the first boot every USB Port works like expected.

For i7 and Sandy Bridge i am pretty sure someone elsa has an answer

--

Stefan Held VI has only 2 Modes:
obi unixkiste org The first one is for beeping all the time,