Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Pedro Francisco

Default NetworkManager applet: force connection list refresh

Is there anyway to force the NetworkManager applet to refresh its list? Everytime I plug-in my 3G dongle (k3805-z) I have to either go to nm-connection-editor and toggle the option "Connection available for every user" or restart gnome-shell (ALT+F2, r) so the connection for the 3G dongle appears...

Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Pedro Francisco

Ok I give up (see below). Next attempt: Is there anyway to get the old-but-functional nm-applet working on Gnome-Shell instead of the built-in 'n buggy one?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Hiisi

On 7 September 2011 11:10, Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I give up (see below). Next attempt: Is there anyway to get the
> old-but-functional nm-applet working on Gnome-Shell instead of the built-in
> 'n buggy one?
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there anyway to force the NetworkManager applet to refresh its list?
>> Everytime I plug-in my 3G dongle (k3805-z) I have to either go to
>> nm-connection-editor and toggle the option "Connection available for every
>> user" or restart gnome-shell (ALT+F2, r) so the connection for the 3G dongle
>> appears...
>> Any ideas?

Sorry for late jumping into the thread.
Prior to F15 there was NetworkManager service. In case of troubles
with nm I used to restart it:
service NetworkManager restart
Perhaps you could write udev-rule to trigger nm-applet restarting when
3G dongle plugged-in.
Just my 2 kopecks.
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Pedro Francisco

Killing nm-applet won't work as Gnome-Shell doesn't use (though it is loaded it doesn't do anything)
But «service NetworkManager restart» does work.
I now have the following lines and seems to be working (sleep time is still under test )

Thank you!
# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-vodafone-fix.rules*KERNEL=="usb0", RUN+="vodafone-fix.sh"

# cat /lib/udev/vodafone-fix.sh*#!/bin/sh
eject /dev/sr1/sbin/ifconfig usb0 -arp
sleep 10service NetworkManager restart

Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Pedro Francisco

Actually I spoke to early, upon reboot things started not working again.
I'm back to killall modem-manager, nm-connection-editor, change something in the connection, save and then it appears on network dropdown.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Pedro Francisco

SUCCESS!
# mv /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/status/network.js /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/status/network.disabled
Explanation: nm-applet is always loaded but Gnome-Shell provides it's own [buggy] interface to it, hence the graphical interface of nm-applet is disabled. By disabling Gnome-Shell's NetworkManager interface, [the old] nm-applet is free to have its icon appearing.