Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Tom Horsley

Default any way to control disk order?

My poor old system died, and I resurrected it by moving the
disks to an older system. For who knows what reason, the
kernel has decided to call the external USB drive I use for
backups /dev/sda (the old system called it /dev/sdc).

My internal sata disks are being called /dev/sdb and
/dev/sdc.

This screws with things like hddtemp where you have to
give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb.

I don't suppose there is any available mechanism for
forcefully inducing the kernel to enumerate removable
drives last?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 AM
mcforum

My poor old system died, and I resurrected it by moving the disks to an older
system. For who knows what reason, the kernel has decided to call the external
USB drive I use for backups /dev/sda (the old system called it /dev/sdc). My
internal sata disks are being called /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. This screws with
things like hddtemp where you have to give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb. I
don't suppose there is any available mechanism for forcefully inducing the
kernel to enumerate removable drives last? .................
Plug it in after booting.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Robert Nichols

On 09/01/2011 09:56 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> My poor old system died, and I resurrected it by moving the
> disks to an older system. For who knows what reason, the
> kernel has decided to call the external USB drive I use for
> backups /dev/sda (the old system called it /dev/sdc).
>
> My internal sata disks are being called /dev/sdb and
> /dev/sdc.
>
> This screws with things like hddtemp where you have to
> give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb.
>
> I don't suppose there is any available mechanism for
> forcefully inducing the kernel to enumerate removable
> drives last?

You could try fighting with udev rules to force the naming the
way you want it, or just give hddtemp links in /dev/disk/by-id/
instead of /dev/sda, etc. Those links are based on device
serial numbers.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 08:59 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 09:56 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > My poor old system died, and I resurrected it by moving the
> > disks to an older system. For who knows what reason, the
> > kernel has decided to call the external USB drive I use for
> > backups /dev/sda (the old system called it /dev/sdc).
> >
> > My internal sata disks are being called /dev/sdb and
> > /dev/sdc.
> >
> > This screws with things like hddtemp where you have to
> > give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb.
> >
> > I don't suppose there is any available mechanism for
> > forcefully inducing the kernel to enumerate removable
> > drives last?
>
> You could try fighting with udev rules to force the naming the
> way you want it, or just give hddtemp links in /dev/disk/by-id/
> instead of /dev/sda, etc. Those links are based on device
> serial numbers.
>
> --
> Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
> Do NOT delete it.

Wouldn't changing the entries in grub.conf also do the trick

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:31:38 -0500
Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Wouldn't changing the entries in grub.conf also do the trick

I don't know, but it has stopped doing it now for some
reason. Maybe because the external USB drive usually spins itself
down before I reboot and it is taking it longer to respond,
so it is winding up as /dev/sdc again?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Adalbert Prokop

Am 02.09.2011 05:31, schrieb mcforum:

Hi!

> things like hddtemp where you have to give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb. I
> don't suppose there is any available mechanism for forcefully inducing the
> kernel to enumerate removable drives last? .................

I do not know of such mechanism, but you could use symbolic links
available at /dev/disk/by-id or /dev/disk/by-uuid.

The order of my disks also changes from time to same (I suppose what
gets initialized first - wins). But with those links it does not really
matter.

--
best wishes
Adalbert

Your Flux Capacitor has gone bad.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

You can label the filesystems on each of your partitions. Then you
mount according to the label rather than by the device special file.

Let me ask google...

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/#labels

For years the order of SCSI disks was stable, but there was never any
particular guarantee that the order would be any particular way. Then
a new release of the kernel appeared that reversed the order! Since
then the best thing to do has been to label your partitions.

Don Quixote
quixote@dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com/

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Adalbert Prokop <adalbert.prokop@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 02.09.2011 05:31, schrieb mcforum:
>
> Hi!
>
>> things like hddtemp where you have to give it args like /dev/sda /dev/sdb. *I
>> don't suppose there is any available mechanism for forcefully inducing the
>> kernel to enumerate removable drives last? .................
>
> I do not know of such mechanism, but you could use symbolic links
> available at /dev/disk/by-id or /dev/disk/by-uuid.
>
> The order of my disks also changes from time to same (I suppose what
> gets initialized first - wins). But with those links it does not really
> matter.
>
> --
> best wishes
> Adalbert
>
> Your Flux Capacitor has gone bad.

Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

** Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
** http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/