-   -   F15: Worst. Update. Ever. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/571063-f15-worst-update-ever.html)

linux guy 09-01-2011 06:10 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

I just wanted to share what a troublesome, irritating process it was to update my F14 KDE box to F15.

When it was released, I immediately downloaded F15 KDE Live ISO and installed it on a USB drive.* I was quite impressed.

Shortly thereafter, I ran pre upgrade, only to find that the pre upgrade kernel wouldn't run when I rebooted.

About that time I got busy with other things in my life and just stayed running F14.

Until about a week ago when yum update installed kernel 2.6.40-3 and nvidia-280.* At that point my computer started hanging whenever I logged into a graphical work session.* This was on a machine that has been running Fedora reliably since new.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to troubleshoot the boot hanging problem.* To no avail.

After a while I decided it would be better to upgrade to F15, thinking the problem was the new nvidia-280 driver and some older xorg file in F14.

So I then spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why the F15 preupgrade kernel wouldn't boot properly.

After a while I gave up on getting it to work.* I decided to upgrade via the F15 Upgrade DVD.

I downloaded the ISO file and tried for a while to install it on a USB drive, to no avail.

After a while I gave up on getting that to work and burned it to a DVD.

The upgrade ran without a hitch from the upgrade DVD.* Or so it thought.

Right off the bat, F15 wouldn't boot either, just like F14 wouldn't.

After some digging around, I got it to boot by removing all akmod-nvidia and kmod-nvidia files as well as my xorg.conf file.* Which, incidentally, has run fine forever.* At that point I could now boot F15 and log into a graphical work session.

But not a KDE session !** Apparently none of my KDE packages had been upgraded and my system now only had F15 gnome packages on it.

Upon running yum update in F15, I was greeted with 57 error messages from yum check.* All of these errors were concerned with missing dependencies for F14 packages that did not get upgraded via the upgrade DVD and/or F14 packages that the upgrade process decided to leave even though there was also an F15 version on the machine.

After spending a considerable amount of time, I determined the best way to deal with the situation was to delete all the offending F14 packages.* So I did.

Yum update then ran fine.

I then added back the packages that were deleted that did not have F15 equivalents.

At that point I reinstalled KDE in its entirety.

Which is where I sit today.** F15 works great, but what a process to get here.

Joe Zeff 09-01-2011 06:30 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

On 09/01/2011 11:10 AM, linux guy wrote:
> But not a KDE session ! Apparently none of my KDE packages had been
> upgraded and my system now only had F15 gnome packages on it.

I'm sorry to read of your difficulties, but glad to see that you managed
to work through them. Of all your woes, the one I quoted is the one
that just doesn't make any sense. I believe that it happened to you,
but off-hand, I can't see why Gnome would be upgraded but not KDE, or
that your old version of KDE didn't work on your new system. If you're
not already a member of fedoraforum.com, I'd suggest your joining it and
reporting this there, in the Installation forum. It might help keep
somebody else from butting their head against the same issue.

"Peter G. " 09-01-2011 09:44 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 11:10 AM, linux guy wrote:
>> But not a KDE session ! Apparently none of my KDE packages had been
>> upgraded and my system now only had F15 gnome packages on it.

Just a wild guess: maybe you had some kde-rpm stuff installed and when you
upgraded, you got conflicts with the regular fedora repo versions?

What I do is have a spare partition to install the new system to and I never do
a system upgrade (tred a few fedoras ago, without success; no doubt it works
much better now). This way my old system is still intact and I have something to
fall back on (might need to edit grub to boot the old system).

"Peter G. " 09-01-2011 09:46 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Peter G. wrote:

> kde-rpm stuff

meant kde-redhat

Darlene Wallach 09-01-2011 09:56 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Peter,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Peter G. <pgueckel@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> What I do is have a spare partition to install the new system to and I never do
> a system upgrade (tred a few fedoras ago, without success; no doubt it works
> much better now). This way my old system is still intact and I have something to
> fall back on (might need to edit grub to boot the old system).

I like clean installs too.

When you verify the new install works, what do you do with the new
install on the spare partition and the old install?

Thank you

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Bruce Korb 09-01-2011 11:44 PM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

On 09/01/11 14:56, Darlene Wallach wrote:
[snip]
>> What I do is have a spare partition to install the new system to and I never do
>> a system upgrade
> When you verify the new install works, what do you do with the new
> install on the spare partition and the old install?

The "old" becomes the spare partition for the next upgrade?
It also becomes the place to go look for previous config
information when it turns out that there's something I missed.
It is also useful to have /home on a separate partition that
gets mounted from both installations....

Down side: /home is still ext3.

"Peter G. " 09-02-2011 12:30 AM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Darlene Wallach wrote:

> When you verify the new install works, what do you do with the new
> install on the spare partition and the old install?

When I verify that the new system works, I move in, of course :-) I start using
it right away... like I did last week with Fedora 16α. I leave the old system on
the spare partition, in case something goes wrong with an update to the test
system, so that I still have a failsafe system to use.

I haven't had to use Fedora 15 for about a week, now, since moving all my stuff
over to Fedora 16α. By moving stuff, I mean configuration files, setting up
akonadi, etc. My /home/Documents is a separate partition, so my personal stuff
is never disturbed by a system upgrade.

"Peter G. " 09-02-2011 12:41 AM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Bruce Korb wrote:

> It is also useful to have /home on a separate partition that
> gets mounted from both installations....

This is why I have /home/me/Documents on a separate partition (actually a full
separate 300GB drive, sdb, with just one partition, hence sdb1), filled with my
stuff. Total overkill, as I have much less than 100GB of stuff, but drives are
so cheap.

The /home/me part is the part that has all of the .blablabla files and
directories. I don't share that between installations or distros. Each
installation, say Fedora 15 and Fedora 16, might have different versions of the
same programs, so sharing the configuration files would likely be a total mess.
Even worse, if you are playing with a couple of different distros.

I have played around with various methods over the years, but I like to make it
as easy as possible for me to move to a new system. Having a /home/me/Documents
in each system would mean I would have to copy my stuff over to the new system,
or risk it getting overwritten when I'm creating my partion layout.

I have never used lvm or anaconda's automatic partitioning. I always use a
custom partitioning (the bottom choice, I believe), so that I know that my old
system and my data are safe and untouched.

This is how I do it. You might find a different scheme works better for you.

"Peter G. " 09-02-2011 12:53 AM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Bruce Korb wrote:

> Down side: /home is still ext3.

Yes, my /home/me/Documents partition (actually drive) is ext4 and when I will
finally switch to btrfs (in about Fedora 17 or 18), I will have to transfer all
of my stuff onto another partition, create the new btrfs file system on the old
/home/me/Documents partition, and then move everything back (yes, I also have an
external backup drive, in case something should go wrong). Since it is only my
data (music files, pdf articles, pictures, saved youtube movie clips, etc.) on
/home/me/Documents, it is not critical to the system, so it doesn't matter if it
is not using the better file system right away (but my / system and /home/me/.*
will be).

I did this once already, about a year or more ago, when I migrated from ext3 to
ext4. It was not that bad and you only do it once. You don't need to migrate
your system, however. You can leave it, since Fedora comes out every 6 months,
so just select the preferred file system when you upgrade to the new release.

linux guy 09-08-2011 07:44 AM

F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Update.

I still have 2 outstanding issues with my F15 system.

1) Wireless networking is not operational, even though wireless worked fine in F15 Live.* Its not apparent to me what is different between my F15 install and the F15 Live iso.* I've started a thread on this issue.

2) The process that converted emails to the new format for Evolution somehow got interrupted and only 10% of my emails have been converted to the new format.* It is not apparent to me how to convert/ reconvert the remaining emails.* I'll start a thread on this topic shortly.

I'm still running nouveau and I'm running 1 monitor, not 2 like I used to.* I'll get to that issue later.