Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

> A lot of people dismissed KDE after the rough time of version 4.0, in
> a similar way that Gnome3 is now losing its userbase. But today KDE4
> is a beautiful, stable and very user-friendly DE.

Stable? I had to wait until KDE-4.6 until I finally decided that
waiting and reporting bugs won't fix its buginess.
Switched to XFCE a few months ago, and didn't regret it. A traditional
desktop as I like it (a lot like KDE3).

- Clemens

Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 PM
"Frederick N. Brier"

On 09/09/2011 03:57 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>> A lot of people dismissed KDE after the rough time of version 4.0, in
>> a similar way that Gnome3 is now losing its userbase. But today KDE4
>> is a beautiful, stable and very user-friendly DE.
> Stable? I had to wait until KDE-4.6 until I finally decided that
> waiting and reporting bugs won't fix its buginess.
> Switched to XFCE a few months ago, and didn't regret it. A traditional
> desktop as I like it (a lot like KDE3).
>
> - Clemens
Wow. Thank you. I was hesitant to try KDE after reading about 4.x, but
XFCE has brought most of the snappiness back to my machine. The Chrome
bookmarks pop-up dialog and IntelliJ's smart code completion are still
slower than they were under F14, but faster than Gnome3. And it was SO
easy to install. I have done a lot with Fedora, but I have never
installed a second Window Manager. Just stuck with Gnome. Yeah
Fedora! Gee, now I might try IceWM just for giggles.

Fred

Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Joe Zeff

On 09/12/2011 11:05 AM, Frederick N. Brier wrote:
> Wow. Thank you. I was hesitant to try KDE after reading about 4.x, but
> XFCE has brought most of the snappiness back to my machine.

There's an old trick that most of the early window managers used that I
hadn't seen in years until I tried XFCE: the context menu you get when
you right-click on the desktop contains your complete main menu,
including Preferences and Administration. No more need to go over to
the panel to launch a program or control panel, just right-click
wherever your mouse happens to be. Lack of it isn't a show-stopper, of
course, but once you get used to it, it's very convenient. I mention it
mostly because you may not have found it yet.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 12.09.2011 20:47, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> On 09/12/2011 11:05 AM, Frederick N. Brier wrote:
>> Wow. Thank you. I was hesitant to try KDE after reading about 4.x, but
>> XFCE has brought most of the snappiness back to my machine.
> There's an old trick that most of the early window managers used that I
> hadn't seen in years until I tried XFCE: the context menu you get when
> you right-click on the desktop contains your complete main menu,
> including Preferences and Administration.
well you can configure KDE to do so with some clicks in the preferences

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Andrew Haley

On 09/12/2011 07:47 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 11:05 AM, Frederick N. Brier wrote:
>> Wow. Thank you. I was hesitant to try KDE after reading about 4.x, but
>> XFCE has brought most of the snappiness back to my machine.
>
> There's an old trick that most of the early window managers used that I
> hadn't seen in years until I tried XFCE: the context menu you get when
> you right-click on the desktop contains your complete main menu,
> including Preferences and Administration. No more need to go over to
> the panel to launch a program or control panel, just right-click
> wherever your mouse happens to be. Lack of it isn't a show-stopper, of
> course, but once you get used to it, it's very convenient. I mention it
> mostly because you may not have found it yet.

I certainly hadn't. Mind you, I haven't seen my desktop for years. I
suppose it must be under there somewhere...

Andrew.