FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On 09/01/2011 02:18 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 16:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> 2. Who thought it was a good idea to make someone put their cursor to
>> the upper left corner in order to switch desktops that are all the way
>> on the right? How is that ergonomic? I actually don't mind doing that
>> for switching apps or bringing up the menu so much but to switch
>> desktops it's really irritating.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> gnome-shell-extension-righthotcorner-1.0-1.fc15.noarch
>
Apropos: The designer who put the cursor on the upper
left corner is a 'lefty' and felt justified.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Neal Hogan
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

where'd the OP go?

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 02:18 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 16:01 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Who thought it was a good idea to make someone put their cursor to
>>> the upper left corner in order to switch desktops that are all the way
>>> on the right? How is that ergonomic? I actually don't mind doing that
>>> for switching apps or bringing up the menu so much but to switch
>>> desktops it's really irritating.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>> gnome-shell-extension-righthotcorner-1.0-1.fc15.noarch
>>
> Apropos: The designer who put the cursor on the upper
> * * * * * * * *left corner is a 'lefty' and felt justified.
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Matthew Saltzman
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 14:34 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 02:18 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> > gnome-shell-extension-righthotcorner-1.0-1.fc15.noarch
> >
>
> Why do you have to install an extension to make such a small change?
> Shouldn't this be configurable?
>

Think of it as a different configuration mechanism.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 AM
John Wendel
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On 09/01/2011 06:04 PM, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 18:03, Rudolf Kastl<che666@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/9/1 Alan Cox<alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
>>> If you really want everything to just get out of the way and don't need
>>> the user niceness stuff you might also want to look at Enlightement
>>>
>>> yum search enlightenment
>>>
>>> Alan
>> e17 will be removed from f16 because of a lack of maintainer for it
>> unfortunately (afaik it has been orphaned). because of that id
>> recommend at this point aswell to try xfce and/or lxde for a serious
>> work environment.
> Nooooooooooo!!!!!
>
> I've been a hard-core Enlightenment user for years. I can't imagine
> having to give it up! I love that it doesn't auto-mount every disk I
> plug in! I love the Ctrl-Alt-Ins to get a new terminal. I love the low
> system resources.
>
> Man, I'm going to miss it...
>
> MJ

I love it too!

http://bodhilinux.com - The best E17 distro

John

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 AM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:11:57 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

>> Would someone please tell me.. Why is F-15 such a mess..? The worst
>> thing is the jumbled up desktop..
>
> The great thing about Linux is that the desktop is not wired into the
> system. The great thing about Fedora is it supports and packages many
> desktops.
>
> So
>
> yum groupinstall Xfce
>
> exit to the graphical login, set the desktop type in the options to
> Xfce, log back in.
>


Certainly there are alternatives. Certainly we can find our way in
Gnome3 - eventually - for we are not retarded, and certainly we can
decide whether to use it or not.

But it's a sin to take something good - granted, possibly not perfect -
and turn it into something unusable for so many people. Why did the UI
have to change to something that looks and feels like a giant smart
phone? Integrated chat and messaging? Where did that come from? Thank God
you guys didn't integrate that into the kernel!

I can't find much information about the gnome3 developers, but they must
be generation Facebook - it's the "stay connected" philosophy that I see
in gnome3. There's more to computing than that.

I wish someone from the old guard found the time and energy to step up
and straighten things up. I know, I know, different times, different
priorities. The gnome2 UI was good, only the internals would have to be
changed as needed.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On 09/02/2011 02:46 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Does it support Gnome 2 ? That seems to be what everyone who complains
> about Gnome 3 actually wants...

http://k3rnel.net/2011/06/15/bluebubble-faq/

Rahul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Alexander Volovics
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 04:32:07AM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> Why did the UI have to change to something that looks and feels
> like a giant smart phone?
> Integrated chat and messaging? Where did that come from?

Maybe because in the not too distant future all "PCs" will
become giant (or dwarf) smart phones {^+^}
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/Desktops/IdeaCentre/b-series/b520/index.html

Alexander (who does not own or use a smart phone).

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Alan Cox
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 23:20:19 -0400
Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 14:34 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 09/01/2011 02:18 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >
> > > gnome-shell-extension-righthotcorner-1.0-1.fc15.noarch
> > >
> >
> > Why do you have to install an extension to make such a small change?
> > Shouldn't this be configurable?
> >
>
> Think of it as a different configuration mechanism.

You mean like the C compiler is the configuration mechanism for some
options in gnome 2.x 8)

Ease of use. We've replaced option boxes with magic impenetrable
extensions and for the rest you have to code them yourself.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Alan Cox
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:04:18 -0400
"Mark W. Jeanmougin" <markjx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 18:03, Rudolf Kastl <che666@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2011/9/1 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> >> If you really want everything to just get out of the way and don't need
> >> the user niceness stuff you might also want to look at Enlightement
> >>
> >> * * * *yum search enlightenment
> >>
> >> Alan
> >
> > e17 will be removed from f16 because of a " for it
> > unfortunately (afaik it has been orphaned). because of that id
> > recommend at this point aswell to try xfce and/or lxde for a serious
> > work environment.
>
> Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Well you know what to do 8).... "lack of maintainer" ...

Shouldn't be too hard to deal with anyway as its just a few packages to
feed to rpmbuild again, unlike Gnome 2 where it will clash with Gnome 3
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Rudolf Kastl
 
Default Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

2011/9/2 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:04:18 -0400
> "Mark W. Jeanmougin" <markjx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 18:03, Rudolf Kastl <che666@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > 2011/9/1 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
>> >> If you really want everything to just get out of the way and don't need
>> >> the user niceness stuff you might also want to look at Enlightement
>> >>
>> >> * * * *yum search enlightenment
>> >>
>> >> Alan
>> >
>> > e17 will be removed from f16 because of a " for it
>> > unfortunately (afaik it has been orphaned). because of that id
>> > recommend at this point aswell to try xfce and/or lxde for a serious
>> > work environment.
>>
>> Nooooooooooo!!!!!
>
> Well you know what to do 8).... *"lack of maintainer" ...
>
> Shouldn't be too hard to deal with anyway as its just a few packages to
> feed to rpmbuild again, unlike Gnome 2 where it will clash with Gnome 3

Id be willing to offer help to anyone going to maintain e17 again to
resolve technical issues and questions. Just drop me an email with the
subject "e17" or "enlightenment".

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org