FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Ranjan Maitra
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

Hi all,

I am missing a font (for a while) but I can not figure out what it is.
Basically, I get something like this on my help pages when using R.:


1 lm package:stats R
Documentatio
1 n 2
3 Fitting Linear Models
4
5 Description:
6
7 <80><98>lm<80><99> is used to fit linear models. It can be us
7 ed to carry out
8 regression, single stratum analysis of variance and analysis of
9 covariance (although <80><98>aov<80><99> may provide a more co
9 nvenient interface
10 for these).
11
.....


While the wrapping around of the line is problematic, I don't know how
to deal with this (it also happens with man pages, as in man gcc).

1 GCC(1) GNU
1 GCC(1)
2
3
4
5 NAME
6 gcc - GNU project C and C++ compiler
7
8 SYNOPSIS
9 gcc [-c|-S|-E] [-std=standard]
10 [-g] [-pg] [-Olevel]
11 [-Wwarn...] [-pedantic]
12 [-Idir...] [-Ldir...]
13 [-Dmacro[=defn]...] [-Umacro]
14 [-foption...] [-mmachine-option...]
15 [-o outfile] [@file] infile...
16
17 Only the most useful options are listed here; see below for th 17 e
18 remainder. g++ accepts mostly the same options as gcc.
.......

Can I get rid of those line numbers? This did not happen for me
before, from what I recall.

I am using Fedora 15 with the LXDE spin. I don't recall having this
problem before Fedora 13. So, I think somewhere down the line, I lost
a font.

I have the following fonts installed? What am I missing? OR do I have
too much?

$ rpm -qa *font*
lohit-gujarati-fonts-2.4.5-1.fc15.noarch
lohit-oriya-fonts-2.4.3-9.fc15.noarch
vlgothic-fonts-common-20110722-1.fc15.noarch
libXfont-1.4.3-2.fc15.i686
lohit-bengali-fonts-2.4.3-7.fc15.noarch
thai-scalable-waree-fonts-0.4.15-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-devanagari-fonts-2.4.5-3.fc15.noarch
un-core-fonts-common-1.0.2-0.16.080608.fc15.noarch
ucs-miscfixed-fonts-0.3-6.fc15.noarch
paktype-naqsh-fonts-3.0-5.fc15.noarch
liberation-fonts-common-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
urw-fonts-2.4-10.fc15.noarch
thai-scalable-fonts-common-0.4.15-2.fc15.noarch
dejavu-sans-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
bitmap-console-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
khmeros-base-fonts-5.0-11.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-75dpi-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
paktype-tehreer-fonts-2.0-11.fc15.noarch
liberation-mono-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fixed-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
lklug-fonts-0.6-5.20090803cvs.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
liberation-serif-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
smc-fonts-common-4.4-5.fc15.noarch
dejavu-serif-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
abattis-cantarell-fonts-0.0.6-1.fc15.noarch
lohit-telugu-fonts-2.4.5-9.fc15.noarch
lohit-assamese-fonts-2.4.3-8.fc15.noarch
khmeros-fonts-common-5.0-11.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-6.fc15.i686
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-24.fc15.noarch
smc-meera-fonts-4.4-5.fc15.noarch
lohit-tamil-fonts-2.4.5-9.fc15.noarch
sil-abyssinica-fonts-1.0-10.fc15.noarch
vlgothic-fonts-20110722-1.fc15.noarch
dejavu-fonts-common-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-100dpi-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fangsongti-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
jomolhari-fonts-0.003-10.fc15.noarch
paratype-pt-sans-fonts-20100408-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-kannada-fonts-2.4.6-1.fc15.noarch
fontpackages-filesystem-1.44-2.fc15.noarch
libfontenc-1.0.5-4.fc15.i686
gnu-free-fonts-common-20100919-4.fc15.noarch
fontconfig-2.8.0-3.fc15.i686
gnu-free-mono-fonts-20100919-4.fc15.noarch
wqy-zenhei-fonts-0.9.46-2.fc15.noarch
bitmap-lucida-typewriter-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-misc-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
sil-padauk-fonts-2.4-7.fc15.noarch
liberation-sans-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
dejavu-sans-mono-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
stix-fonts-1.0.0-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-punjabi-fonts-2.4.4-4.fc15.noarch
lyx-fonts-2.0.0-4.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-fonts-common-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fonts-compat-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
un-core-dotum-fonts-1.0.2-0.16.080608.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
fontconfig-devel-2.8.0-3.fc15.i686
texlive-texmf-fonts-2007-37.fc15.noarch


Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Ranjan Maitra
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

Hi all,

I am missing a font (for a while) but I can not figure out what it is.
Basically, I get something like this on my help pages when using R.:


1 lm package:stats R
Documentatio
1 n 2
3 Fitting Linear Models
4
5 Description:
6
7 <80><98>lm<80><99> is used to fit linear models. It can be us
7 ed to carry out
8 regression, single stratum analysis of variance and analysis of
9 covariance (although <80><98>aov<80><99> may provide a more co
9 nvenient interface
10 for these).
11
.....


While the wrapping around of the line is problematic, I don't know how
to deal with this (it also happens with man pages, as in man gcc).

1 GCC(1) GNU
1 GCC(1)
2
3
4
5 NAME
6 gcc - GNU project C and C++ compiler
7
8 SYNOPSIS
9 gcc [-c|-S|-E] [-std=standard]
10 [-g] [-pg] [-Olevel]
11 [-Wwarn...] [-pedantic]
12 [-Idir...] [-Ldir...]
13 [-Dmacro[=defn]...] [-Umacro]
14 [-foption...] [-mmachine-option...]
15 [-o outfile] [@file] infile...
16
17 Only the most useful options are listed here; see below for th 17 e
18 remainder. g++ accepts mostly the same options as gcc.
.......

Can I get rid of those line numbers? This did not happen for me
before, from what I recall.

I am using Fedora 15 with the LXDE spin. I don't recall having this
problem before Fedora 13. So, I think somewhere down the line, I lost
a font.

I have the following fonts installed? What am I missing? OR do I have
too much?

$ rpm -qa *font*
lohit-gujarati-fonts-2.4.5-1.fc15.noarch
lohit-oriya-fonts-2.4.3-9.fc15.noarch
vlgothic-fonts-common-20110722-1.fc15.noarch
libXfont-1.4.3-2.fc15.i686
lohit-bengali-fonts-2.4.3-7.fc15.noarch
thai-scalable-waree-fonts-0.4.15-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-devanagari-fonts-2.4.5-3.fc15.noarch
un-core-fonts-common-1.0.2-0.16.080608.fc15.noarch
ucs-miscfixed-fonts-0.3-6.fc15.noarch
paktype-naqsh-fonts-3.0-5.fc15.noarch
liberation-fonts-common-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
urw-fonts-2.4-10.fc15.noarch
thai-scalable-fonts-common-0.4.15-2.fc15.noarch
dejavu-sans-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
bitmap-console-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
khmeros-base-fonts-5.0-11.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-75dpi-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
paktype-tehreer-fonts-2.0-11.fc15.noarch
liberation-mono-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fixed-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
lklug-fonts-0.6-5.20090803cvs.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
liberation-serif-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
smc-fonts-common-4.4-5.fc15.noarch
dejavu-serif-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
abattis-cantarell-fonts-0.0.6-1.fc15.noarch
lohit-telugu-fonts-2.4.5-9.fc15.noarch
lohit-assamese-fonts-2.4.3-8.fc15.noarch
khmeros-fonts-common-5.0-11.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-font-utils-7.5-6.fc15.i686
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-24.fc15.noarch
smc-meera-fonts-4.4-5.fc15.noarch
lohit-tamil-fonts-2.4.5-9.fc15.noarch
sil-abyssinica-fonts-1.0-10.fc15.noarch
vlgothic-fonts-20110722-1.fc15.noarch
dejavu-fonts-common-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-100dpi-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fangsongti-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
jomolhari-fonts-0.003-10.fc15.noarch
paratype-pt-sans-fonts-20100408-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-kannada-fonts-2.4.6-1.fc15.noarch
fontpackages-filesystem-1.44-2.fc15.noarch
libfontenc-1.0.5-4.fc15.i686
gnu-free-fonts-common-20100919-4.fc15.noarch
fontconfig-2.8.0-3.fc15.i686
gnu-free-mono-fonts-20100919-4.fc15.noarch
wqy-zenhei-fonts-0.9.46-2.fc15.noarch
bitmap-lucida-typewriter-fonts-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-misc-fonts-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
sil-padauk-fonts-2.4-7.fc15.noarch
liberation-sans-fonts-1.07.0-1.fc15.noarch
dejavu-sans-mono-fonts-2.33-1.fc15.noarch
stix-fonts-1.0.0-2.fc15.noarch
lohit-punjabi-fonts-2.4.4-4.fc15.noarch
lyx-fonts-2.0.0-4.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
iso8859-2-fonts-common-1.0-25.fc15.noarch
bitmap-fonts-compat-0.3-17.fc15.noarch
un-core-dotum-fonts-1.0.2-0.16.080608.fc15.noarch
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.5-4.fc15.noarch
fontconfig-devel-2.8.0-3.fc15.i686
texlive-texmf-fonts-2007-37.fc15.noarch


Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Paul Flo Williams
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On 09/01/2011 02:36 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
> I am missing a font (for a while) but I can not figure out what it is.
> Basically, I get something like this on my help pages when using R.:
>
>
> 1 lm package:stats R
> Documentatio
> 1 n 2
> 3 Fitting Linear Models
> 4
> 5 Description:
> 6
> 7<80><98>lm<80><99> is used to fit linear models. It can be us
> 7 ed to carry out
> 8 regression, single stratum analysis of variance and analysis of
> 9 covariance (although<80><98>aov<80><99> may provide a more co
> 9 nvenient interface
> 10 for these).
> 11
> .....
>
> Can I get rid of those line numbers? This did not happen for me
> before, from what I recall.

You haven't said exactly what you typed to get this output, but if you
have line numbers when using man, you've asked for line numbers from
the pager that man uses, called "less". I think that typing

echo $LESS

will show that you've got the "-N" option set. unset LESS to stop this
happening. If this isn't the case, then you may have the MANPAGER
variable set to something like "/usr/bin/less -N". man man for details.

The font issue (seeing <80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Ranjan Maitra
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 05:13:35 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
<flo@uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 02:36 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> >
> > I am missing a font (for a while) but I can not figure out what it is.
> > Basically, I get something like this on my help pages when using R.:
> >
> >
> > 1 lm package:stats R
> > Documentatio
> > 1 n 2
> > 3 Fitting Linear Models
> > 4
> > 5 Description:
> > 6
> > 7<80><98>lm<80><99> is used to fit linear models. It can be us
> > 7 ed to carry out
> > 8 regression, single stratum analysis of variance and analysis of
> > 9 covariance (although<80><98>aov<80><99> may provide a more co
> > 9 nvenient interface
> > 10 for these).
> > 11
> > .....
> >
> > Can I get rid of those line numbers? This did not happen for me
> > before, from what I recall.
>
> You haven't said exactly what you typed to get this output,

I used help(lm) within R.



but if you
> have line numbers when using man, you've asked for line numbers from
> the pager that man uses, called "less". I think that typing
>
> echo $LESS
>
> will show that you've got the "-N" option set. unset LESS to stop this
> happening. If this isn't the case, then you may have the MANPAGER
> variable set to something like "/usr/bin/less -N". man man for details.

Thanks very much for these detailed explanations! This really makes
sense.

> The font issue (seeing <80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
> issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
> is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
> positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.

Possible. But many of these webpages have not changed. Is it possible
that previously, I this was not an issue because I was using the
Microsoft TrueType Fonts, rather than Liberation now?

Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul Flo Williams
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On 09/01/2011 03:20 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 05:13:35 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
>
>> The font issue (seeing<80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
>> issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
>> is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
>> positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.
>
> Possible. But many of these webpages have not changed. Is it possible
> that previously, I this was not an issue because I was using the
> Microsoft TrueType Fonts, rather than Liberation now?

Hmm, I got this bit wrong. Having checked the help page in question, I
can see that, on my box, the rendered help page (produced from HTML
source) seems to have the bytes:

E2 80 98 l m E2 80 99

which is the UTF-8 encoding for U+2018 lm U+2019, so ignore what I said
about Windows encodings.

If there was a locale discrepancy between R and your terminal, I'd
expect to see <e2><80><98>lm<e2><80><99> on the display, but your
display misses the <e2>, which leaves me more confused.

That *still* means it shouldn't have anything to do with your
particular font.

What locale are you using?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Ranjan Maitra
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:19:23 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
<flo@uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 03:20 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 05:13:35 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
> >
> >> The font issue (seeing<80><98>lm<80><99>) is actually an encoding
> >> issue in the man page you're looking at. It appears that the document
> >> is using Windows curly quotes, which are not at their standard Unicode
> >> positions. This would be a bug in the package that supplies that man page.
> >
> > Possible. But many of these webpages have not changed. Is it possible
> > that previously, I this was not an issue because I was using the
> > Microsoft TrueType Fonts, rather than Liberation now?
>
> Hmm, I got this bit wrong. Having checked the help page in question, I
> can see that, on my box, the rendered help page (produced from HTML
> source) seems to have the bytes:
>
> E2 80 98 l m E2 80 99
>
> which is the UTF-8 encoding for U+2018 lm U+2019, so ignore what I said
> about Windows encodings.
>
> If there was a locale discrepancy between R and your terminal, I'd
> expect to see <e2><80><98>lm<e2><80><99> on the display, but your
> display misses the <e2>, which leaves me more confused.
>
> That *still* means it shouldn't have anything to do with your
> particular font.
>
> What locale are you using?

I am sorry that I am a little lost here, but how do I figure this out?
Or change the locale, if needed?

Many thanks again(!!) and best wishes,
Ranjan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Paul Flo Williams
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On 09/01/2011 05:00 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:19:23 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
>>
>> What locale are you using?
>
> I am sorry that I am a little lost here, but how do I figure this out?
> Or change the locale, if needed?

What is displayed when you type 'locale' in the shell (not in R)?

From within R, you have the option of stopping "smart" quotes from
appearing, which might improve things. Try:

options(useFancyQuotes = FALSE)

See help() for more details.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Ranjan Maitra
 
Default help with missing font (Fedora 15)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:30:54 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
<flo@uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 05:00 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:19:23 -0500 Paul Flo Williams
> >>
> >> What locale are you using?
> >
> > I am sorry that I am a little lost here, but how do I figure this out?
> > Or change the locale, if needed?
>
> What is displayed when you type 'locale' in the shell (not in R)?
>
> From within R, you have the option of stopping "smart" quotes from
> appearing, which might improve things. Try:
>
> options(useFancyQuotes = FALSE)
>
> See help() for more details.
> --

Thanks very much! Your comments of earlier set me thinking in a much
more focused manner, and I noticed that my character set on less
(LESSCHARSET) was set at latin1. I had borrowed my .bashrc from some
good Samaritan on the web in ancient times, and modified it to suit my
needs. I never understood what this part did so I let it be.

Removing this offending bit (and setting to nothing) fixed my problem.

I am very grateful to you for pointing me in the correct direction by
your thoughts.

Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org