Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Michael Eager

Default Sound from KVM guest

Hi --

I installed Windows 7 in a KVM virtual machine running on
Fedora 15. The guest is configured with an es1370 sound card.
Windows detected the sound device and installed drivers, but I
don't get any sound.

The same thing happens when configured with an ac97 sound device.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077

Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
panicloop

On 09/01/2011 08:32 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I installed Windows 7 in a KVM virtual machine running on
> Fedora 15. The guest is configured with an es1370 sound card.
> Windows detected the sound device and installed drivers, but I
> don't get any sound.
>
> The same thing happens when configured with an ac97 sound device.
>
> Any suggestions?

Please refer to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems#Audio_output

1. Set selinux to permissive

2. Add the following lines to /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf

user='foobar'
group='foobar'
vnc_allow_host_audio = 1

This solved my KVM guest sound problem and I can use virt-manager too.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 22:08 +0900, panicloop wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 08:32 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> > Hi --
> >
> > I installed Windows 7 in a KVM virtual machine running on
> > Fedora 15. The guest is configured with an es1370 sound card.
> > Windows detected the sound device and installed drivers, but I
> > don't get any sound.
> >
> > The same thing happens when configured with an ac97 sound device.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> Please refer to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems#Audio_output
>
> 1. Set selinux to permissive
>
> 2. Add the following lines to /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
>
> user='foobar'
> group='foobar'
> vnc_allow_host_audio = 1
>
> This solved my KVM guest sound problem and I can use virt-manager too.

While you're setting selinux to "permissive", file a bug to request that
selinux allow this type of access. That way, in the future, you and
others will be able to do this without giving up other selinux
protections.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Michael Eager

On 09/01/2011 06:08 AM, panicloop wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 08:32 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> I installed Windows 7 in a KVM virtual machine running on
>> Fedora 15. The guest is configured with an es1370 sound card.
>> Windows detected the sound device and installed drivers, but I
>> don't get any sound.
>>
>> The same thing happens when configured with an ac97 sound device.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> Please refer to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Virtualization_problems#Audio_output

Thanks. This worked, with one minor problem. After restarting
libvirtd, virt-manager would not reconnect. It required a reboot.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Daniel J Walsh