-   -   how do I play this file? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/570731-how-do-i-play-file.html)

Michael Hennebry 08-31-2011 10:54 PM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> 2011/8/31 Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu>
>
>> Well, you need to let us know more specifics for us to be any use at
>> all.
>>
>> Where did you get this file? If it is a flash plugin you need, which is
>> what I suspect, just download it from Adobe and install. (Of course,
>> what exactly you need to know will also depend on what exactly your
>> system is.)

I got it from the Cache after playing a file on the web through firefox.

To file it is a Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 10 file.
Right-clicking and clicking on properties tells me that it is a
Shockwave Flash file (application/x-shockwave-flash) file.

>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:11:23 -0500 Michael Hennebry
>> <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I play a
>>> Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 10 aka
>>> Shockwave Flash file (application/x-shockwave-flash) file.
>>> The former came from the file command, the latter from right-clicking.

> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:

I'm not sure I ever knew the original suffix.

> For just viewing:
>
> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it with
> firefox.

I tried adding a .swf suffix to it.
firefox gave me an all-black video.
A .wmv suffix had the same affect.

I tried to do an install by googling swf and following
links to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?PID=3081440 .
I picked yum as my version.
Eventually I was told that adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch
is already installed.

I'm running Fedora 14.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Michael Hennebry 08-31-2011 11:06 PM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Joe Zeff wrote:

> I just received two copies of this, and the rest of the list probably
> did too. I see that you sent a CC to fedora-list@redhat.com, and I
> think that address just sends another copy to the Fedora list. You may
> want to reconsider that. (Not a complaint, just a friendly heads-up. I
> sent it openly because AFAICT there are several people doing this and
> this gets the word out to all of you at once.)

I should update my address book.
It still has an old name for this list.
I started a new subject by replying to myself and,
as is my wont on mailing lists,
replied y when asked if I wanted to reply to all recipients.
The To: had the old name and the ReplyTo: had the current name.

Joe Zeff 08-31-2011 11:32 PM

how do I play this file?

On 08/31/2011 04:06 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I should update my address book.
> It still has an old name for this list.
> I started a new subject by replying to myself and,
> as is my wont on mailing lists,
> replied y when asked if I wanted to reply to all recipients.
> The To: had the old name and the ReplyTo: had the current name.

Tish happens; don't worry about it. As I wrote before, this was the
best way to reach anybody on the list who might be doing the same thing.

Michael Hennebry 09-01-2011 06:42 AM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> What happens if you open the original file (no suffix changed) with VLC?

[hennebry@localhost Desktop]$ vlc B*
VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x85ac8fc] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
[swf @ 0xb723a5c0]Compressed SWF format not supported
Warning: call to srand(1314387065)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:14151): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
[swf @ 0x8671410]Compressed SWF format not supported
[0x8667ff4] avformat demux error: av_open_input_stream failed
[0x8667ff4] ps demux error: cannot peek
[0xb740062c] main input error: no suitable demux module for
`file/:///home/hennebry/Desktop/B3F23B4Ed01'

> I'm just guessing but it is possible it's a FLA file... You'll need a
> Windows program
> to change the format to SWF and then play it in firefox inside Linux

Giving it a .fla suffix doesn't help firefox play it.
Since I got it from firefox's Cache,
I don't understand why firefox can't play it.
This isn't the first file that's given me this problem.
I didn't solve it then either.

> That's my best idea Hummm can you attach me the Original file
> so I can figure it out? Thanks.

20k coming your way shortly.

Michael Hennebry 09-01-2011 06:42 AM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> What happens if you open the original file (no suffix changed) with VLC?

[hennebry@localhost Desktop]$ vlc B*
VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x85ac8fc] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
[swf @ 0xb723a5c0]Compressed SWF format not supported
Warning: call to srand(1314387065)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:14151): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
[swf @ 0x8671410]Compressed SWF format not supported
[0x8667ff4] avformat demux error: av_open_input_stream failed
[0x8667ff4] ps demux error: cannot peek
[0xb740062c] main input error: no suitable demux module for
`file/:///home/hennebry/Desktop/B3F23B4Ed01'

> I'm just guessing but it is possible it's a FLA file... You'll need a
> Windows program
> to change the format to SWF and then play it in firefox inside Linux

Giving it a .fla suffix doesn't help firefox play it.
Since I got it from firefox's Cache,
I don't understand why firefox can't play it.
This isn't the first file that's given me this problem.
I didn't solve it then either.

> That's my best idea Hummm can you attach me the Original file
> so I can figure it out? Thanks.

20k coming your way shortly.

Tim 09-01-2011 11:46 AM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 18:06 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I started a new subject by replying to myself

Um, no you didn't... You added a new reply to your old thread, with a
different subject line. Your (wanted it to be a) new message is buried
in the middle of an old thread, where it may get ignored by someone who
has the answer for your problem, but is ignoring this thread...

When creating a "new" message, or a "new" topic, actually create a new
message, don't reply to another one. Changing what's typed into the
subject line isn't good enough. Other headers, which aren't displayed
in your message editor, tie messages together (see the in-reply-to and
references headers).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Tim 09-01-2011 11:50 AM

how do I play this file?

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:24 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:
>
> For just viewing:
>
> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it
> with firefox.

May not work... Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.

Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the
Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of
container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.

Manuel Escudero 09-01-2011 06:50 PM

how do I play this file?

2011/9/1 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:24 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:

> For just viewing:

> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it

> with firefox.

May not work... *Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.

Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the

Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of

container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.

--

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r

2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

read messages from the public lists.

Of course!! that's it! what tim just said is the answer... (Btw Yep, the Firefox MethodWorked) and Yep, it actually is a SWF File but it plays only "a fullscreen black" because what you've

downloaded is a Flash Player, the SWFObject player that web developers use to embed Flash movieson a webpage... That's why it only is 20K also, it's only the player without the "SWFObject" library and without

the video itself...
See, the "retrieve from cache" method works (or at least used to work) with youtube videos, as when they play,they actually "cache" (note the use of the word as a verb) among other things, the original video... When the video stops

Megavideo Caches the videos in SWF for example but files are way much larger than 20K. *when a webpage play flash videos, most of

the time they use the "SWFObject" method and one of the things that is "caching" in the background is the SWF Player, that is the thingyou just downloaded...
See, there are more easy ways to download videos from web, if you can, tell me what you were trying to grab and I'll help you.

--
Manuel EscuderoLinux User #509052
Twitter:*@Jmlevick

PGP/GnuPG:*E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 *8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7Xenode Systems -*xenodesystems.com*-*"Conéctate a Tu Mundo"

Michael Hennebry 09-01-2011 08:24 PM

how do I play this file?

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 18:06 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> I started a new subject by replying to myself
>
> Um, no you didn't... You added a new reply to your old thread, with a
> different subject line. Your (wanted it to be a) new message is buried

I wrote "new subject" and not "new thread" because I meant "new subject".

> in the middle of an old thread, where it may get ignored by someone who
> has the answer for your problem, but is ignoring this thread...
>
> When creating a "new" message, or a "new" topic, actually create a new
> message, don't reply to another one. Changing what's typed into the
> subject line isn't good enough. Other headers, which aren't displayed
> in your message editor, tie messages together (see the in-reply-to and
> references headers).

I didn't create a new thread because I didn't want to create a new thread.
It's possible that making a new thread would have been better.
Adding to the old one was deliberate.

Effectively sending it twice was a mistake.

Michael Hennebry 09-01-2011 08:54 PM

how do I play this file?

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> 2011/9/1 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
>
>> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:24 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
>>> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:
>>>
>>> For just viewing:
>>>
>>> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it
>>> with firefox.
>>
>> May not work... Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.
>>
>> Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the
>> Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of
>> container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.

> Of course!! that's it! what tim just said is the answer... (Btw Yep, the
> Firefox Method
> Worked) and Yep, it actually is a SWF File but it plays only "a fullscreen
> black" because what you've
> downloaded is a Flash Player, the SWFObject player that web developers use
> to embed Flash movies
> on a webpage... That's why it only is 20K also, it's only the player without
> the "SWFObject" library and without
> the video itself...
>
> See, the "retrieve from cache" method works (or at least used to work) with
> youtube videos, as when they play,
> they actually "cache" (note the use of the word as a verb) among other
> things, the original video... When the video stops
>
> Megavideo Caches the videos in SWF for example but files are way much larger
> than 20K. when a webpage play flash videos, most of
> the time they use the "SWFObject" method and one of the things that is
> "caching" in the background is the SWF Player, that is the thing
> you just downloaded...
>
> See, there are more easy ways to download videos from web, if you can, tell
> me what you were trying to grab and I'll help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzjxsSfDKg
very preferably including the subtitles.
The English title is When Father was Away on Business.
I actually have a DVD of this,
but I suspect the youtube version of being clearer.
It's more than two hours long, which is why I was practicing on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3zhoq5tT0&feature=related ,
which is less than 15 minutes.
They have different "share" mechanisms.
The big one just gets a link back to youtube.