Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM

Default Network without samba

Dear All,

Recently I have installed FC8 on one of my client PC for general office purpose. I do not want to load Samba as I don't want user to share his folders, but I want to allow him to surf the network and other PCs. This was also working fine with default setup. But as soon as I start the services 'NetworkManager' and 'NetworkManagerDispatcher' to have the icon on panel to show the status of the network. Network connectivity gone and even by reversing I could not salvage the situation.

Can any body help me, where is the problem ?

Arun

You are invited to Get a Free AOL Email ID. Click here.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 03:27 -0500, arunbkn@aol.in wrote:
> Recently I have installed FC8 on one of my client PC for general
> office purpose. I do not want to load Samba as I don't want user to
> share his folders, but I want to allow him to surf the network and
> other PCs. This was also working fine with default setup. But as soon
> as I start the services 'NetworkManager' and
> 'NetworkManagerDispatcher' to have the icon on panel to show the
> status of the network. Network connectivity gone and even by reversing
> I could not salvage the situation.
> Can any body help me, where is the problem ?

Those are two different things. Network manager, and its ilk, is about
the ethernet networking (wired, and/or unwired) between the computer and
the network. Samba is just the Windows file and resource (e.g. printer)
sharing scheme.

Taking that into consideration, is your "network connectivity" being
"gone" comment referring to all network activity, or just the Samba file
sharing?

If you're running network manager, you want to disable the other network
service (it's the non-automatic alternative). One probable cause of a
network being a notwork is network manager relying on there being a DHCP
server to tell it what address to use, and you not having one.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network?

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:40 PM

> Recently I have installed FC8 on one of my client PC for general

> office purpose. I do not want to load Samba as I don't want user to

> share his folders, but I want to allow him to surf the network and

> other PCs. This was also working fine with default setup. But as soon

> as I start the services 'NetworkManager' and

> 'NetworkManagerDispatcher' to have the icon on panel to show the

> status of the network. Network connectivity gone and even by reversing

> I could not salvage the situation.

> Can any body help me, where is the problem ?

Those are two different things. Network manager, and its ilk, is about

the ethernet networking (wired, and/or unwired) between the computer and

the network. Samba is just the Windows file and resource (e.g. printer)

sharing scheme.

Taking that into consideration, is your "network connectivity" being

"gone" comment referring to all network activity, or just the Samba file

sharing?

If you're running network manager, you want to disable the other network

service (it's the non-automatic alternative). One probable cause of a

network being a notwork is network manager relying on there being a DHCP

server to tell it what address to use, and you not having one.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network?

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

I have tried it again, as soon as I start 'NetworkManager' and'NetworkManagerDispatcher' my network notwork. I stop them reboot, network start working.

I am using FC8 and I don't have DHCP server on my network.

Is the services clashes with each other ??? which one(s)??

Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 09:40 -0500, arunbkn@aol.in wrote:
> I have tried it again, as soon as I start 'NetworkManager' and
> 'NetworkManagerDispatcher' my network notwork. I stop them reboot,
> network start working.
>
> I am using FC8 and I don't have DHCP server on my network.

That could be a problem, but there are ways to manage that. Such as
installing one, or using one of the zero conf systems (like avahi) to
self-assign random IP addresses.

> Is the services clashes with each other ??? which one(s)??

"network" versus the NetworkManager... ones.

Send us the output from:

chkconfig --list

So we can see what services you have set up.