Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Default How to debug X lockup (advice from gurus wanted)

Hi,

it sometimes happens to me that X completely locks up, while the
machine is still alive on the network.

This is on F14, untainted kernel, nouveau driver, no 3D used,
KDE desktop on a 32-bit machine with 8GiB RAM and PAE kernel.
It typically happens when something is going to be drawn on
the screen (a window pops up or virtual desktop change).

I would like to open a bug, but I'm not able to attach any kind
of usable log; dmesg says nothing, all I can say is that
the screen remains frozen (including the pointer), the X
server and the kernel keep doing some "SIG ALRM" stuff and
any attempt to access the X server stalls the command (xrandr
or xset, for example), in a Ctrl-C responsive way.

This is happening on different kernel revisions. This laptop
is perfectly stable and it sometimes takes a few weeks to show
the problem (using suspend during the night).

If I do a fresh reboot there is a high probability of a lockup
in a mater of minutes/hours.
Just as if there were lucky and unlucky reboots (important stuff
being placed in memory areas which is easily corrupted?).

Another data point: this laptop sometimes fails to suspend properly
(remains frozen). In any case the last frozen-X event happened
today before any attempt to suspend, so I can not blame the
BIOS and ACPI parts.

Any idea?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
stan

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:06:29 +0200
Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it sometimes happens to me that X completely locks up, while the
> machine is still alive on the network.
>
> This is on F14, untainted kernel, nouveau driver, no 3D used,
> KDE desktop on a 32-bit machine with 8GiB RAM and PAE kernel.
> It typically happens when something is going to be drawn on
> the screen (a window pops up or virtual desktop change).
>
> I would like to open a bug, but I'm not able to attach any kind
> of usable log; dmesg says nothing, all I can say is that
> the screen remains frozen (including the pointer), the X
> server and the kernel keep doing some "SIG ALRM" stuff and
> any attempt to access the X server stalls the command (xrandr
> or xset, for example), in a Ctrl-C responsive way.
>
> Any idea?

I had this problem in F14 while using the stock kernel. When I
compiled a custom kernel it went away. While I made *many* changes, I
think the one that mattered was turning off SMP on my single core
system. I suspect, without proof, that the SMP code was occasionally
causing a race condition, and a deadlock. Other possible causes for
fix: moved to pre-emptable desktop, reserved 128 K low memory for
kernel, moved to deadline scheduler.

You could open a bug against the kernel, but it has moved on so far
that it will probably languish.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 08/30/2011 09:24 PM, stan wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:06:29 +0200
> Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it sometimes happens to me that X completely locks up, while the
>> machine is still alive on the network.
>>
>> This is on F14, untainted kernel, nouveau driver, no 3D used,
>> KDE desktop on a 32-bit machine with 8GiB RAM and PAE kernel.
>> It typically happens when something is going to be drawn on
>> the screen (a window pops up or virtual desktop change).
>>
>> I would like to open a bug, but I'm not able to attach any kind
>> of usable log; dmesg says nothing, all I can say is that
>> the screen remains frozen (including the pointer), the X
>> server and the kernel keep doing some "SIG ALRM" stuff and
>> any attempt to access the X server stalls the command (xrandr
>> or xset, for example), in a Ctrl-C responsive way.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
> I had this problem in F14 while using the stock kernel. When I
> compiled a custom kernel it went away. While I made *many* changes, I
> think the one that mattered was turning off SMP on my single core
> system. I suspect, without proof, that the SMP code was occasionally
> causing a race condition, and a deadlock. Other possible causes for
> fix: moved to pre-emptable desktop, reserved 128 K low memory for
> kernel, moved to deadline scheduler.
>
> You could open a bug against the kernel, but it has moved on so far
> that it will probably languish.

[now crossposting fedora, fedora-devel]

Hmmm, turning off SMP is not realistic, as this laptop has a Core 2 Duo.
I had been compiling my kernels until many years ago, and I would like
to stay with the distro's kernel.

I hope that upgrading to F15/F16 will mix things up and solve this in some
way.

Opening a bug seems a waste of time.

I'm cross-posting to fedora-devel, in case someone can suggest how to
collect useful info to open a kernel bug.

Thanks.
Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Adam Jackson

On 9/1/11 5:05 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> Hmmm, turning off SMP is not realistic, as this laptop has a Core 2 Duo.

Sure it is. Boot with maxcpus=1 on the kernel command line.

- ajax

Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.09.2011 13:10, schrieb Adam Jackson:
> On 9/1/11 5:05 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, turning off SMP is not realistic, as this laptop has a Core 2 Duo.
>
> Sure it is. Boot with maxcpus=1 on the kernel command line

i would recommend "nosmp" because it really disables the kernel-smp code

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 09/06/2011 01:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.09.2011 13:10, schrieb Adam Jackson:
>> On 9/1/11 5:05 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm, turning off SMP is not realistic, as this laptop has a Core 2 Duo.
>>
>> Sure it is. Boot with maxcpus=1 on the kernel command line
>
> i would recommend "nosmp" because it really disables the kernel-smp code

Ahem... what I meant is that it is not realistic for me to sacrifice
one of the CPUs just to hope to get more stability.

I intended the suggestion was "turn off SMP support if you have only
one CPU". Thinking about it, the kernel is already no-SMP on systems
with one CPU nowadays, right?

Anyway, the problem happened again one hour ago, so I just decided
to upgrade only the kernel to the one from F15 and hope for the best.
If it happens again, I will then upgrade Xorg and Mesa.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 09/06/2011 11:14 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> Anyway, the problem happened again one hour ago, so I just decided
> to upgrade only the kernel to the one from F15 and hope for the best.
> If it happens again, I will then upgrade Xorg and Mesa.

Replying to myself in this old thread just to let google-searchers
know that after upgrading my F14 installation to the F15 kernel
2.6.40.4-5.fc15.i686.PAE (including module-init-tools as a dep),
the laptop has now an uptime of 15 days, no more X lockups.
There were also more than 40 suspend/resume cycles without
any failure, so it seems like the new kernel has fixed that issue too.

As a regression, the ethernet driver sometimes fails to work after
resume; it is a known bug for 3.0, easily fixed with
modprobe -r e1000e; modprobe e1000e
so I can live with it.

(Of course I'm expecting a lockup minutes after sending this mail...)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it