Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

On 08/29/2011 09:32 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
>> something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
>> Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
>> releases.
> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
> changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.

Those distros all have maintainers who will backport fixes.
Commercial enterprise distros don't depend on upstream maintainers.
That's part of the value of paying them.

Rahul

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/29/2011 03:36 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Personally I'm now using XFCE.

As am I. I wonder how many people are walking away from Gnome because
they don't want to use a UI designed for a tablet on their desktop or
laptop?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Alan Cox

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:46:46 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 08/29/2011 03:36 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> > Personally I'm now using XFCE.
>
> As am I. I wonder how many people are walking away from Gnome because
> they don't want to use a UI designed for a tablet on their desktop or
> laptop?

I switched mostly to XFCE some time back - originally because it was so
much faster on small boxes and later because Gnome 2.x was near unusable
on a netbook.

Gnome 3.0 I did give a spin and wasn't very impressed as basic stuff
didn't seem to work, performance of the compositor was awful and simple
configuration tasks now seemed to involve writing custom extensions which
seemed rather backward for what Gnome claims it wants.

I shall see what 3.2 is like as hopefully that will have fixed some of
the biggest catastrophes. KDE 4.0 was also pretty bad.

Alan

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On 08/29/2011 06:38 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 09:32 PM, Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
>>> something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
>>> Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
>>> releases.
>> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
>> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
>> changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
>> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.
>
> Those distros all have maintainers who will backport fixes.
It's opensource - Everybody has the liberty to take these $$$-OSes
source packages and to adopt them for ones needs, rsp. to submit these
packages back into Fedora.

> Commercial enterprise distros don't depend on upstream maintainers.
It's opensource - Nothing prevents forkers to take these people's works
and harvest them for free forks.

Ralf

Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/29/2011 10:29 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> It's opensource - Everybody has the liberty to take these $$$-OSes
> source packages and to adopt them for ones needs, rsp. to submit these
> packages back into Fedora.

In theory, yes. In practise, not many people are typically interested
in doing such backporting work and since Fedora often uses much newer
versions, those patches don't necessarily apply.

Rahul

Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:02:14 -0500 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
> > something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
> > Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
> > releases.
>
> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
> changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.

I wonder if it would make sense for the Fedora developers to consider
not tying the base distribution to Gnome (or anything that is so
widely-panned), but to something else. It is a question of choice, but
from what I have been reading, Gnome-users has really had some very bad
experiences.

The new user always gets the base distribution -- the one that is
called Fedora in the Download segment. Most people would run away from
using the spins, thinking that it is something more advanced (when in
reality, it is not).

Not to mention, there are several rpms needlessly tied up with gnome,
because some developers work off this, and just assume that it is
needed in their packaging.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Chris Kloiber

On 08/29/2011 12:38 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 09:32 PM, Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
>>> something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
>>> Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
>>> releases.
>> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
>> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
>> changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
>> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.
> Those distros all have maintainers who will backport fixes.
> Commercial enterprise distros don't depend on upstream maintainers.
> That's part of the value of paying them.
>
> Rahul
There is nothing to backport, as those changes are taken from upstream,
which no longer exists.

--
Chris Kloiber

Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 29.08.2011 20:23, schrieb Chris Kloiber:
> On 08/29/2011 12:38 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
>>> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
>>> changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
>>> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.
>> Those distros all have maintainers who will backport fixes.
>> Commercial enterprise distros don't depend on upstream maintainers.
>> That's part of the value of paying them.
>>
>> Rahul
> There is nothing to backport, as those changes are taken from upstream,
> which no longer exists.

maybe fedora should switch to KDE as primary desktop since
GNOME2 was bad enough and GNOME3 is losing even users who
loved GNOME2 for whatever reason

a desktop which NEEDS 3D-Support is a epic fail

Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/29/2011 11:53 PM, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> There is nothing to backport, as those changes are taken from upstream,
> which no longer exists.

That depends. Nautilus exists. Metacity bug fixes probably are common
to Mutter and sometimes patches will have to be written from scratch as well

Rahul

Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:28:25 -0500 Reindl Harald
<h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 29.08.2011 20:23, schrieb Chris Kloiber:
> >> Those distros all have maintainers who will backport fixes.
> >> Commercial enterprise distros don't depend on upstream maintainers.
> >> That's part of the value of paying them.
> >>
> >> Rahul
> > There is nothing to backport, as those changes are taken from upstream,
> > which no longer exists.
>
> maybe fedora should switch to KDE as primary desktop since
> GNOME2 was bad enough and GNOME3 is losing even users who
> loved GNOME2 for whatever reason
>
> a desktop which NEEDS 3D-Support is a epic fail

I guess the developers will decide in their wisdom. If it were up to
me, I think it would make more sense to get something that has good
functionality and is light on resources. Perhaps XFCE?

I use LXDE, but I don't know if it could be considered to have
functionality.

Ranjan