Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 08:19 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 04:17:00PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I don't think I've hit the "freezing-emacs bug". What triggers it?
> > What's the BZ #?
>
> In my case it happens whenever the Emacs window is minimized and then
> reopened. I have to maximize it and then select a buffer each time to
> get it back to normal.
>
> I've not filed a BZ for it personally.

Interesting. I don't seem to be able to reproduce it. But I'll keep an
eye out.

If it isn't working for you, you should file a bug.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> And how are you going to remember them all? Or have enough keys to
>> give everything a unique hotkey.
>>
>> I can only ever remember a few from a few applications, never all of
>> the functions I might want to use. Years ago, I did add hotkeys to
>> run programs, and only ever ended up remembering about five.

Steve Underwood:
> Maybe he'd like to type Chinese on a keyboard with 15,000 keys. :-

I've often wondered how such languages are typed. Whether the keys
pressed to construct a character relate to drawing certain shaped lines
in certain places (a stroke here, a stroke there), some sort spelling
out the word that the character represents, or some other cryptic
code...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Markku Kolkka

1.9.2011 16:12, Tim kirjoitti:
> I've often wondered how such languages are typed. Whether the keys
> pressed to construct a character relate to drawing certain shaped lines
> in certain places (a stroke here, a stroke there), some sort spelling
> out the word that the character represents,

Both of these are in common use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_input_methods_for_computers

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi

Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Julius Smith

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 09:02 PM, Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 12:36 -0600, Julius Smith wrote:
>>> using the mouse is slow, so we need to be able to define a shortcut
>>> for everything.
>> And how are you going to remember them all? *Or have enough keys to give
>> everything a unique hotkey.

With the following I can get by without a mouse for a very long time
during "normal work":

Ctrl+Alt+E = emacs -geometry 80x50
Ctrl+Alt+S = emacs -sclang -geometry 80x50 ~/SC/tests.sc
Ctrl+Alt+C = google-chrome
Ctrl+Alt+T = terminal [replacing Alt+T which interferes with emacs]

I tried also to make one for system-preferences, but could not find
the app. It doesn't seem to be one of the "system-config-*"
utilities, which surprised me. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks
- jos

--
"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind