Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Joe Zeff

Default GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

On 08/30/2011 06:05 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> You could certainly interpret the look as being inspired by a tablet,
> but the total inability to use it without a very steady hand makes
> totally unsuitable for portable devices. Its clearly inspired by the
> Marquis de Sade.

Not having actually used it, I wouldn't know. Just the idea of being
forced to use gestures whether I wanted to or not was enough to make me
jump ship. (Among other things, I always hated the way moving the mouse
to the top right corner would show the desktop, and I disabled that
obnoxious mis-feature as fast as I could. Whoever thought that
everybody would want it was an idiot IMAO.)

Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Alan Cox

> forced to use gestures whether I wanted to or not was enough to make me
> jump ship. (Among other things, I always hated the way moving the mouse
> to the top right corner would show the desktop, and I disabled that
> obnoxious mis-feature as fast as I could. Whoever thought that
> everybody would want it was an idiot IMAO.)

I can see it makes sort of sense on a small touchscreen like a phone. It's
rather bogus on a small desktop - much too much movement to be ergonomic,
and it's daft on a big desktop or a multi-monitor one where the corners
are a long way away from the middle of the display !

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Julius Smith

I disliked the decision to simplify things in GNOME 3, but on the
whole I find it more productive than GNOME 2. Things got better once
I found alacarte, gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu,
etc., to recover lost functionality. In my opinion, Fedora should be
aimed at "power users" not "newbies". That said, I like throwing
windows to the left and right to fill half the screen, cycling through
windows of a given app (Alt-`) as easily as cycling through apps
(Alt-Tab), and generally saving screen space. Once I got my "Custom
Shortcuts" in place, I have few complaints (other than the
freezing-emacs bug). In general, using the mouse is slow, so we need
to be able to define a shortcut for everything. - jos

--
"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind

Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/30/2011 11:36 AM, Julius Smith wrote:
> I found alacarte, gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu,
> etc., to recover lost functionality.

Right now, I'm running XFCE 4.6 on my desktop, but I've used a
third-party repo to upgrade my laptop to 4.8. (I'm always a tad more
careful with my main box; among other things, when it's time to upgrade
Fedora, the laptop always goes first.) The first time I logged in after
the upgrade, XFCE asked if I wanted the default desktop or if I
preferred copying over my old settings. Naturally, I picked the latter
because I'd already gotten things the way I wanted them and saw no
reason to repeat the experience.

I think it would be a Good Thing for Gnome 3 to do something similar
after upgrading from Gnome 2.x. Yes, I realize that there are things,
such as desktop icons and the placement of buttons on the bottom panel
that can't be carried over but you should at least have the option of
having your menus copied over with whatever customizations are still
appropriate. Also, if somebody were to write a utility that could look
at your old settings and help you get the most important ones working
(or, at least, something equivalent working) it would make the
transition much easier.

Please note: I may not run Gnome any more, or even want to, but that
doesn't mean that I'm not willing to make suggestions on how to make it
easier for users to adapt to it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 08/29/2011 09:23 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 29.08.2011, Dave Cross wrote:
>
>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
> Seems nobody likes it (me included). Frankly, Gnome3 is broken by design and
> a f*cking piece of cr*p :-)
> All the students at my college who use(d) Linux/Gnome2 before have switched, and
> guess how many are using Gnome3 now? Yes, you're right: zero.
>
> Just get over it, and use one of the fine alternatives: XFCE has
> always been great, LXDE is slightly "buggy" but great too, and there
> are various other good wm. I personally like ratpoison, awesome and
> fluxbox a lot. It hurts a couple of weeks, but then you're done.
I tried both LXDE & XFCE, but Desktop/panel (re)configuration
options/features seems limited:

XFCE:
1) Does XFCE allow creation of new panels, left/right/top(or bottom)
with features such as hiding panels which appears only when the
mouse is moved into the screen edges?

I cannot figure out how to add new panels; they appear collapsed,
and only expands with addition of new icons? How can I change the
panel properties to expand these new panels 100%, vertically and/or
horizontally?

2) Since I like to rearrange the icons within my main panel(1),
the workspace being 'centered', the icons adjusted to the
left and/or right of the workspace, the "open desktop apps icons"
moved to other panels (left/right/{top|bottom} instead of "main",
with locks, and the notifications panel to the left of screen and so
on, so do I have this flexibility as Gnome provides? I don't see it.

3) Can I move/drag-drop the icons from one panel into another?

LXDE:

1) I haven't figured out how to shrink the desktop icons, how can
I do this?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 08/30/2011 05:30 AM, gpe wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 05:23 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
> I still remember the times when KDE4 was born. It was terrible comparing
> to 3.5. After a while it was started to evolved, it became more stable
> and more user friendly.
>
>> Seems nobody likes it (me included). Frankly, Gnome3 is broken by design and
>> a f*cking piece of cr*p :-)
> Everybody have the right to hate gnome3, but in my opinion hating won't
> help. You have couple of options:
> 1. start to contribute and make it better.
> 2. wait until someone else makes it better.
> 3. Jump to different DE.
> If you choose option 3 then you have several alternatives (in no
> particular order) : E17, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, gnome2-fork etc. But keep in
> mind that none of them is perfect, nor suits everybody's needs.
There are another options:
4. Multi-boot or Virtual: Keep F13/14 & install F15 or greater.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/30/2011 12:30 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> XFCE:
> 1) Does XFCE allow creation of new panels, left/right/top(or bottom)
> with features such as hiding panels which appears only when the
> mouse is moved into the screen edges?

Yes, it does. From the Main Menu, go to Preference, Panel.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 08/30/2011 12:05 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 11:36 AM, Julius Smith wrote:
>> I found alacarte, gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu,
>> etc., to recover lost functionality.
> Right now, I'm running XFCE 4.6 on my desktop, but I've used a
> third-party repo to upgrade my laptop to 4.8. (I'm always a tad more
> careful with my main box; among other things, when it's time to upgrade
> Fedora, the laptop always goes first.) The first time I logged in after
> the upgrade, XFCE asked if I wanted the default desktop or if I
> preferred copying over my old settings. Naturally, I picked the latter
> because I'd already gotten things the way I wanted them and saw no
> reason to repeat the experience.
>
> I think it would be a Good Thing for Gnome 3 to do something similar
> after upgrading from Gnome 2.x. Yes, I realize that there are things,
> such as desktop icons and the placement of buttons on the bottom panel
> that can't be carried over but you should at least have the option of
> having your menus copied over with whatever customizations are still
> appropriate. Also, if somebody were to write a utility that could look
> at your old settings and help you get the most important ones working
> (or, at least, something equivalent working) it would make the
> transition much easier.
>
> Please note: I may not run Gnome any more, or even want to, but that
> doesn't mean that I'm not willing to make suggestions on how to make it
> easier for users to adapt to it.
Good idea, a Gnome-2 to Gnome-3 migration tool? This might work if
done as an upgrade, but can this tool be smart enough to ask if one
wishes to "import" after a fresh install, be it a partition or virtual
space?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/30/2011 12:48 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Good idea, a Gnome-2 to Gnome-3 migration tool? This might work if
> done as an upgrade, but can this tool be smart enough to ask if one
> wishes to "import" after a fresh install, be it a partition or virtual
> space?

I don't see why not. All it has to do is run the first time you log in
using Gnome 3 and check to see if ~/.gnome2 exists. If so, it pops up
and offers to help with your migration; if not, it exits.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
stan

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:38:16 +0100
Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>
> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
> available for F15?

An someone else mentioned, the fallback mode of Gnome 3 is similar to
Gnome 2. The most helpful page I found was this one:

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead%2C-long-live-gnome-panel!