Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Fernando Cassia

Default GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:02, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> In the short run you can use fallback mode, which has a very similar feel
> to gnome 2. In the long run, no one has started a gnome 2 fork

Oh really? ;-)

A Fork Of GNOME 2: The Mate Desktop
Posted by Michael Larabel on August 17, 2011

A lot of people hate Canonical's Unity desktop, but a lot of people
also hate the current state of the GNOME 3.0 Shell too. For those that
are still fond of the GNOME 2.x environment, there is a fork of GNOME2
that's been little talked about up to this point. This fork is called
the Mate Desktop Environment.

The Mate Desktop Environment fork of GNOME2 was started by an Arch
Linux user back in June, but it hasn't yet gained too much traction
and is mostly just talked about on various forums around the web. It
also hasn't been picked up by any distribution repositories at this
point, but there is an AUR repository available for Arch Linux users.

The project overview is just: "MATE Desktop Environment, a
non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional
computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork."
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTgxMA

FC

Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 16:12, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps XFCE?
>
> I use LXDE, but I don't know if it could be considered to have
> functionality.

I've pulled my hair trying to tweak LXDE. I've found XFCE is much
better, with similiar low memory requirements but without the
annoyance.

Power and memory requirements of KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE compared
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_desktop_vitals&nu m=1

FC

Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 16:50:01 -0300,
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> A Fork Of GNOME 2: The Mate Desktop

I usually read Phoronix, but I missed that article.

That provides an opportunity for someone to package it for Fedora.
There still could be issues with doing so, but at least there is
an upstream.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/29/2011 12:58 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Power and memory requirements of KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE compared
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_desktop_vitals&nu m=1

This is with Gnome 2.29.1 and XFCE 4.6. I'd like to see Gnome 3 and
XFCE 4.8 compared this way.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Steve Underwood

On 08/30/2011 12:46 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 03:36 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> Personally I'm now using XFCE.
> As am I. I wonder how many people are walking away from Gnome because
> they don't want to use a UI designed for a tablet on their desktop or
> laptop?
What makes you say its designed for tablets? Its design seems far less
suitable for a tablet than a desktop. The need to grab an exact pixel
row, for example, is very hard to do unless you are sitting at a desk
with a good quality mouse.

Gnome 3 throws out every ergonomics design guideline I've ever seen. Its
like an exercise in what not to do. Its bizarre.

Steve

Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Joe Zeff

On 08/29/2011 05:08 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> What makes you say its designed for tablets? Its design seems far less
> suitable for a tablet than a desktop.

The basic layout, the loss of the second panel and the dependence on
gestures all sounds like something designed for a tablet, or at least,
inspired by a tablet.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Dave Cross

On 29 August 2011 14:39, Tim Evans <tkevans@tkevans.com> wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 09:36 AM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

>>> You have two ways to go, either learn to love gnome or quit gnome :-(
>>
>> Not quite the open source way: someone can always fork Gnome 2 and start
>> a new project around it.
>

> Third way would be to go with CentOS.

Surely, that's just delaying the inevitable?

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
gpe

On 08/29/2011 05:23 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].

I still remember the times when KDE4 was born. It was terrible comparing
to 3.5. After a while it was started to evolved, it became more stable
and more user friendly.

> Seems nobody likes it (me included). Frankly, Gnome3 is broken by design and
> a f*cking piece of cr*p :-)

Everybody have the right to hate gnome3, but in my opinion hating won't
help. You have couple of options:
1. start to contribute and make it better.
2. wait until someone else makes it better.
3. Jump to different DE.
If you choose option 3 then you have several alternatives (in no
particular order) : E17, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, gnome2-fork etc. But keep in
mind that none of them is perfect, nor suits everybody's needs.

--
gpe

Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Steve Underwood

On 08/30/2011 08:24 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 05:08 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:
>> What makes you say its designed for tablets? Its design seems far less
>> suitable for a tablet than a desktop.
> The basic layout, the loss of the second panel and the dependence on
> gestures all sounds like something designed for a tablet, or at least,
> inspired by a tablet.
You could certainly interpret the look as being inspired by a tablet,
but the total inability to use it without a very steady hand makes
totally unsuitable for portable devices. Its clearly inspired by the
Marquis de Sade.

Steve

Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Mike Wright

On 08/30/2011 06:05 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 08:24 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/29/2011 05:08 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:
>>> What makes you say its designed for tablets? Its design seems far less
>>> suitable for a tablet than a desktop.
>> The basic layout, the loss of the second panel and the dependence on
>> gestures all sounds like something designed for a tablet, or at least,
>> inspired by a tablet.
> You could certainly interpret the look as being inspired by a tablet,
> but the total inability to use it without a very steady hand makes
> totally unsuitable for portable devices. Its clearly inspired by the
> Marquis de Sade.

But only beloved by fans of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch ;D