Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Default Good distributed compilation system?

Hey all,

could anyone recommend a distributed compilation system that runs both
on *nix and Windows machines? I mostly do the actual coding under Linux,
but have network access to a very powerful box running Windows 7 (I am
not allowed to change the OS) which I would like to compile on.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Joachim Backes

could anyone recommend a distributed compilation system that runs both
on *nix and Windows machines? I mostly do the actual coding under Linux,
but have network access to a very powerful box running Windows 7 (I am
not allowed to change the OS) which I would like to compile on.

Best,

Chris

Install cygwin in Windows together with gcc et alt.?

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Lázaro Morales

On 08/29/2011 10:52 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> could anyone recommend a distributed compilation system that runs both
> on *nix and Windows machines?

If you are programming in C/C++ or bash scripts, you can try CYGWIN
http://www.cygwin.com/ and install bash and gcc through his repository.

Best regards,

--
Lázaro Morales

Este mensaje de correo electrónico ha sido procesado por el servidor de Frioclima

Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 08/29/2011 04:52 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> could anyone recommend a distributed compilation system that runs both
> on *nix and Windows machines? I mostly do the actual coding under Linux,
> but have network access to a very powerful box running Windows 7 (I am
> not allowed to change the OS) which I would like to compile on.

I see suggestions about cygwin.
It is probably too slow for short life processes such as gcc.

I would create a Linux VM on Windows and use Linux tool inside it.

If the box is powerful, you have HW-assisted virtualization, so
just pick a good VM manager (don't know which is better at the moment,
Vmware, VirtualBox, ...) and create one VM, or more than one if you have
a lot of cores and memory.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Joachim Backes

could anyone recommend a distributed compilation system that runs both
on *nix and Windows machines? I mostly do the actual coding under Linux,
but have network access to a very powerful box running Windows 7 (I am
not allowed to change the OS) which I would like to compile on.

I see suggestions about cygwin.
It is probably too slow for short life processes such as gcc.

But if the op only wants to have the same environment for both linux and
windows, I think Cygwin should be the best solution, especially if his
Win machine is fast (as he remarks).