Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Lázaro Morales

Default RHEL6 Wallpapers

Hello,

I like so much RHEL6 artwork, Is there any place where I can download
the RHEL6 default wallpapers?

Thanks in advance,
Lázaro.

Este mensaje de correo electrónico ha sido procesado por el servidor de Frioclima

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM

On 08/29/2011 11:06 AM, Lázaro Morales wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like so much RHEL6 artwork, Is there any place where I can download
> the RHEL6 default wallpapers?

i am using fedora and scientific linux. being that scientific linux is
a rhel clone, have a look at these links;

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/os/Packages/

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/x86_64/os/Packages/

search both 'background' and 'wallpaper'.

packages should be same, but you never can tell.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 29 August 2011 17:47, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 11:06 AM, Lázaro Morales wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I like so much RHEL6 artwork, Is there any place where I can download
>> the RHEL6 default wallpapers?
>
> i am using fedora and scientific linux. being that scientific linux is
> a rhel clone, have a look at these links;
>
> *http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/os/Packages/
> *http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/x86_64/os/Packages/
>
> search both 'background' and 'wallpaper'.
> packages should be same, but you never can tell.

No they shouldn't.

In fact they should specifically differ, because the requirements from
Red Hat when cloning their distro is that you remove _their_ branding
from it and use your own. So you will note in the SL 6.0 release
notes, that several packages have changed:
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/rnotes/sl-release-notes-6.0.html#changed

In particular:
> redhat-logos
> Changed all trademarked icons and pictures.
> Changed styles of items such as background, gdm, and kdm to change the tradedress style.

If you want the Red Hat desktop background, then you need to get it
from Red Hat - it can be found in the redhat-logos SRPM package on
their website. I would link you to it, but I don't feel comfortable
redistributing their branded items either.

--
Sam

Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Lázaro Morales

On 08/29/2011 01:03 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> If you want the Red Hat desktop background, then you need to get it
> from Red Hat - it can be found in the redhat-logos SRPM package on
> their website. I would link you to it, but I don't feel comfortable
> redistributing their branded items either.

Thanks Sam,

I just want the wallpapers for me, not for redistribute. I respect so
much the Red Hat work and people and I hope some day participate in some
of their events.

Best regards,
Lázaro.

Este mensaje de correo electr�o ha sido procesado por el servidor de Frioclima

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM

On 08/29/2011 05:03 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
<>

> No they shouldn't.

what i meant by "should be same", is what is in the sl i386 and x86_64
packages. graphics are graphics and see no reason why they would differ
due to cpu.

> In fact they should specifically differ, because the requirements from
> Red Hat when cloning their distro is that you remove _their_ branding

this i am very familiar with. i do not believe that _all_ *backgrounds*
and *wallpaper* will have rhel name showing in them. those that do, i
would be believe have been removed or changes as per cloning restrictions.

> that several packages have changed:
> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/rnotes/sl-release-
> notes-6.0.html#changed

i am also familiar with that page and i can only say that we interpret it
differently.

> If you want the Red Hat desktop background, then you need to get it
> from Red Hat - it can be found in the redhat-logos SRPM package on

i can hardly believe that there are source packages for graphics. think
about that one.

all in all, op can pull packages and judge for himself as to what is in
packages and what he wants.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 29 August 2011 19:14, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 05:03 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>> that several packages have changed:
>> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/rnotes/sl-release-
>> notes-6.0.html#changed
>
> i am also familiar with that page and i can only say that we interpret it
> differently.

I'm confused. That page specifically says that the redhat-logos
package, which contains the desktop backgrounds the OP is referring to
has been changed, and the copyrighted artwork removed.

How do you interpret that page differently?

--
Sam

Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM

On 08/29/2011 08:46 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 19:14, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> On 08/29/2011 05:03 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>>> that several packages have changed:
>>> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/rnotes/sl-release-
>>> notes-6.0.html#changed
>> i am also familiar with that page and i can only say that we interpret it
>> differently.
>
> I'm confused. That page specifically says that the redhat-logos
> package, which contains the desktop backgrounds the OP is referring to
> has been changed, and the copyrighted artwork removed.
>
> How do you interpret that page differently?

in that not all artwork has rh, rhel and such names or logos in them, as
is mentioned in the 'change' portion.

what you were saying, not quoting, but in general/inferring, that all
artwork will have such copyright in them. maybe using term 'interpret'
should have been different.

what ever, artwork is covered by 'fsf' licensing and there should be
a lot in sl packages that is in rhel packages.

whats more, because it is graphical, there are ways of removing what is
there. gimp is only one of the great linux graphics programs that can be
used to remove what may be protected.

i hope that clears up any confusion or misunderstanding.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Sam Sharpe

On 29 August 2011 22:49, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 08:46 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>>> i am also familiar with that page and i can only say that we interpret it
>>> differently.
>>
>> I'm confused. That page specifically says that the redhat-logos
>> package, which contains the desktop backgrounds the OP is referring to
>> has been changed, and the copyrighted artwork removed.
>>
>> How do you interpret that page differently?
>
> in that not all artwork has rh, rhel and such names or logos in them, as
> is mentioned in the 'change' portion.
>
> what you were saying, not quoting, but in general/inferring, that all
> artwork will have such copyright in them. maybe using term 'interpret'
> should have been different.

No, what I said was that that package has been changed and actually I
knew that the backgrounds were included in the change, although I
didn't state that directly. I wasn't inferring that everything in the
package is different, although it could be because the entire reason
that Red Hat package most of their branding in that RPM is to make it
easy to swap out. Check out /usr/share/backgrounds/1280x1024_dawn.png
in the following archives:

http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/SRPMS/sl6-changed/redhat-logos-60.0.14-2.sl6.4.src.rpm
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Workstation/en/os/SRPMS/redhat-logos-60.0.14-1.el6.src.rpm

Are you saying those are the same?

> what ever, artwork is covered by 'fsf' licensing and there should be
> a lot in sl packages that is in rhel packages.

Nope, the artwork in RHEL is not necessarily covered by 'fsf'
licensing (whatever that is). It's covered by whatever Red Hat license
it under.

> whats more, because it is graphical, there are ways of removing what is
> there. gimp is only one of the great linux graphics programs that can be
> used to remove what may be protected.
>
> i hope that clears up any confusion or misunderstanding.

Those backgrounds have been changed, as evidenced above. I'm not
really sure what point you are making here, so I am still confused.

--
Sam

Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Pete Travis

On Aug 29, 2011 3:49 PM, "g" <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

SNIP

> whats more, because it is graphical, there are ways of removing what is

> there. gimp is only one of the great linux graphics programs that can be

> used to remove what may be protected.

If I take a copyrighted image and remove the copyright notice, is it still a protected work?* What if I purchase a paper book - can I rip out the pages referencing the publisher and author's rights, then claim it as my own? Get real.

The OP is asking as an end user, fine; but no-one but RedHat can give him what he wants.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Paul Allen Newell

> whats more, because it is graphical, there are ways of
removing what is

> there. gimp is only one of the great linux graphics
programs that can be

> used to remove what may be protected.

If I take a copyrighted image and remove the copyright notice,
is it still a protected work?* What if I purchase a paper book -
can I rip out the pages referencing the publisher and author's
rights, then claim it as my own? Get real.

Not only "get real", but serious ethics issues on the part of anyone
who suggests "removing what may be protected". I hope to God the
above wasn't referring to ownership/copyright info as that is so
wrong.